• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bentley

He isnt brick.

He did a very good job on at the tail end of our 4th campaign, yet never gets credit for it.

If he is fit he gets a chance in the squad for me, could prove useful over the remainder of the season. At the very list to be fit and ready should we need him.

He did "a job", not even a good job, never mind a "very good job" when we got 4th. I can only assume he gets credit for doing a good job at that time because he was looked so terribly out of his depth for the entire rest of his Spurs career that a couple of average at best performances stand out.

Like DHSF I don't mind giving people chances, but I would have certain expectations to those chances if given to him. Like working his socks off, doing his job defensively and not trying to look super flash.

But still, I would rather we had kept Townsend and given him a go.

I disagree, agree and agree.

I think he did do a very good job, and played a big part in finishing fourth when the odds were being stacked against us. Credit where its due.

That said, by contrast to his other performances in a Spurs shirt these showings looked world class.

For him to be worth playing he needs to come in and keep it simple, work hard, play for the team.

If he did that I think he could be very useful going to the end of this season.

Also, its in his interest to impress, assuming this is his "shop window" opportunity for the summer.

Aha the Bent haters out again. Spaceman apparently proved right. Why? Cos our management didn't give him a fair crack? Must do doing somersaults there well done!

Bentley yeah while he's here get the most out of him while he's here.

I dont dislike Bent, but I find it hard to see him as anything more than he is - just a good finisher.

Yet the Bent supporters seem to be incredibly vocal in backing p any slight against him, which I find odd considering apart from his goalscoring exploits he is hardly a superstar is he?

I disagree, agree and agree.

I think he did do a very good job, and played a big part in finishing fourth when the odds were being stacked against us. Credit where its due.

That said, by contrast to his other performances in a Spurs shirt these showings looked world class.

For him to be worth playing he needs to come in and keep it simple, work hard, play for the team.

If he did that I think he could be very useful going to the end of this season.

Also, its in his interest to impress, assuming this is his "shop window" opportunity for the summer.

In a team that performed brilliantly in that period of time he was nowhere near the best players, and in my opinion still one of the weaker spots in our starting 11/squad when he did feature. He did a job, but not much more.

I agree about keeping it simple, working hard and playing for the team. For me those 3 things have been 3 of his main weaknesses in his Spurs career overall. If that has changed he could be a decent squad player for us, possibly even better. But until I see some consistent evidence pointing in a direction of change I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Im certainly not getting my hopes up, I expect him to move on in the summer. Villa or someone being about the best he can do. I expect over the coming years the odd wonder goal but ultimately his entire career will be a waste.

He could have been David Beckham reincarnate, certainly has the ability, but sadly nothing like the attitude required. Quite the opposite in fact.

He wasnt heroic in the tail end of that season, but he did his job (first time for everything) and helped us through such a touch period, having not featured all year. Lennon was quality at the time and his injury was seen to be the beginning of the end for us. Instead Bentley plugged the gap and we went on to secure the CL place.

Im not trying to say he was incredible or amazing or anything like it, but he came in and did a good job and I appreciate that.

A friend of mine reckons he spoke to someone who claims to know Bentley, and said that he is of the mindset where he would quite happily sit on the bench and get paid for it as he doesn't really care much for football but more so the lifestyle. How true that is i wouldn't know but would certainly explain alot, like his attitude... He seems to be a player who would tinkle about in training? Dunno, really rated him before he came to spurs and was excited at the signing. Now tho he can go wherever he pleases for all i care, thanx for the wondergoal against the scum but that is all

A friend of mine reckons he spoke to someone who claims to know Bentley, and said that he is of the mindset where he would quite happily sit on the bench and get paid for it as he doesn't really care much for football but more so the lifestyle. How true that is i wouldn't know but would certainly explain alot, like his attitude... He seems to be a player who would tinkle about in training? Dunno, really rated him before he came to spurs and was excited at the signing. Now tho he can go wherever he pleases for all i care, thanx for the wondergoal against the scum but that is all

I know the guy. Not like Mams who I see with him all the time but I used to play snooker with him and his mates, work with his brother in law to be and went to Faces with him and our circle of mates. This was when he was on loan with Norwich to when he joined us. He's a top bloke to be around he really is but can come across as a bell end if you don't know him. Used to enjoy JD and orange with him used to be his fav drink!!

Really makes me cringe everytime I see that 'He does nothing other than score goals' comment regarding a striker. That's his primary and most important function. If it was such a simple thing to do every striker would be banging in 20 goals a season like he does....

But is it worth it setting up your team to get 20 goals from one player to the detriment of everyone else? For someone fighting relegation, sure, but not when you're in the top half.

Its not a simple thing to do, but top teams these days require more than 'just' goals from a striker.

Often a strikers ability to act as an attacking fulcrum and bring team mates (and other attacking players) into the game, build possession and create chances is MORE important than goals.

Those that are adept at this AND scoring are ?ú50m+ players.

Bent being 'just' a goalscorer precludes any of that. It means you have to play TO him rather than THROUGH him.

It means until you create a goalscoring chance you have only 10 men.

There is little wrong with his goalscoring ability, he is excellen tin this respect (thought could improve dramatically in the air) but I venture he will never get a shot at the big time because he simply doesnt offer enough despite this.

It's an interesting argument Nayim because we now have the other end of the spectrum with Adebayor who isn't in Bents league as far as finishing goes but hold up play etc is so much better and allows others to flourish with the way he plays.

Regarding Bentley, now we have the pace of Walker down the right could Bentley not flourish considering he had Corluka previously and it was the slowest right hand side EVER?

Just a thought.....

Each type of player has their place, its just seems to me though that the Adebayor type player will be the one employed by the big guns while the Bent type player is generally at a midtable club at best.

Also, Adebayor has show he can score goals like Bent (more, even) although I openly admit he isnt as consistent.

However, replace Adebayor with Bent in our team today and would Bale be in double figures? Would VDV and Defoe have the goals they do?

A smaller goal contribution and a greater team contribution from a striker can result in more goals over all. Equally I think Adebayor has shown with us just the difference a striker can make in dominating an opponent and pinning them in their own box...

RE Bentley/Walker, its a fair assumption. Only real issue with it is that when Walker gets caught out of position in attacking areas Bentley WILL NOT be covering his ass!

As soon as Bentley is fit, stick him out on loan. Get some other mugs to pay his wages.

Bentley is a good player, he was just under bad management, if Harry gives him a chance, i'm sure he'll take it and prove doubters wrong.

Back