• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Are you happy with the Ben Davies Signing?

• Total voters
in poch i trust. just look at what he was able to do with luke shaw, quite sure he knows what he's looking for in a LB. (and Rose is not it).

That's probably true.

But I'm interested in finding out how much better than **** Ben Davies really is.

If it's not by much, then we should be looking elsewhere.

According to those stats, not much better at all.

Code:
	Rose	Davies
	1897	2874
90s Pd	21.08	31.93

Aer	27	53
Per90	1.28	1.66

Int	44	63
Per90	2.09	1.97

Blo	8	11
Per90	0.38	0.34

Def Err	3	1
Per90	0.14	0.03

Err Gl	1	0
Per90	0.05	0.00

Tac	46	59
Per90	2.18	1.85

Goa	1	2
Per90	0.05	0.06

Cle	77	130
Per90	3.65	4.07

Better on defensive errors, but we all know Rose is terrible for that.

Only stat where he really shows as better is clearances/90 although I don't quite know how a clearance is defined. Is it a pass to a DM just outside the danger area? Is it a hoof upfield in the old English "Get it clear" style?

Doesn't necessarily work like that.

Firstly, Rose didn't come through as a full back. He was always a midfielder until he started playing occasionally for the first team. If Davies has always played at full back, then you might expect him to be further advanced in his development in that position.

Secondly, Davies has had a very solid run of games since he broke into the first team at Swansea two years ago. Danny Rose has never had a solid run of games anywhere other than at Sunderland. And he ended up as their player of the year that season. In all, Danny Rose has only played 20 more league games at first team level than Ben Davies. And he has actually played 7 games fewer at Premier League level. And definitely fewer at full back.

That's not to say that Danny Rose is good or that he is likely to improve. It's just that I'd like to see how Ben Davies compares on a per game basis and whether he is genuinely much better than Danny Rose. If he isn't, then he isn't good enough for us.

I think that goes without saying.

It's true that younger players aren't always going do develop and fulfill their potential. And it's true that some players in their mid twenties go on to develop into much better players after a couple of years. In general though younger players are more likely to develop.

According to those stats, not much better at all.

Code:
	Rose	Davies
	1897	2874
90s Pd	21.08	31.93

Aer	27	53
Per90	1.28	1.66

Int	44	63
Per90	2.09	1.97

Blo	8	11
Per90	0.38	0.34

Def Err	3	1
Per90	0.14	0.03

Err Gl	1	0
Per90	0.05	0.00

Tac	46	59
Per90	2.18	1.85

Goa	1	2
Per90	0.05	0.06

Cle	77	130
Per90	3.65	4.07

Better on defensive errors, but we all know Rose is terrible for that.

Only stat where he really shows as better is clearances/90 although I don't quite know how a clearance is defined. Is it a pass to a DM just outside the danger area? Is it a hoof upfield in the old English "Get it clear" style?

I really don't think stats like those to compare players directly are all that useful as I think a lot of those will vary with playing style of the team and the team mates playing around those players.

If a full back is offered little protection his tackles per game number is likely going to go up, doesn't mean that he's any better. If a full back is offered little protection his errors leading to goal will probably go up, doesn't mean that he's worse.

I don't know enough about Davies to say one way or the other. Whenever I've seen him he's looked good, he has age on his side, he's proven in the PL and he's shown himself capable in a team playing a high possession fairly attacking style that isn't all too dissimilar to what Poch is likely to want with us. If he's available at £8m that seems like a solid deal to me, but I'm essentially reverting to a "in Poch we trust" approach like metalgear and many others.

But apparently we have been looking at Davies for a long while, so it should be a ' in Spurs scouts we trust ' which isn't always the easiest thing to say.

Of course we can trust in Poch to make Davies better :)

But apparently we have been looking at Davies for a long while, so it should be a ' in Spurs scouts we trust ' which isn't always the easiest thing to say.

Of course we can trust in Poch to make Davies better :)

Don't really buy that line of reasoning. If we sign him I think Poch will at least have said "yes, please!"

He's a PL player and has been for a couple of seasons, he's young and talented and at a club we can sign good player from. If our scouts weren't well aware of him and hadn't done extensive work looking at his strengths and weaknesses it would have been ridiculous.

Rather than comparing them can we not be grateful for potentially having 2 young British left backs that could potentially become very good?

Don't really buy that line of reasoning. If we sign him I think Poch will at least have said "yes, please!"

He's a PL player and has been for a couple of seasons, he's young and talented and at a club we can sign good player from. If our scouts weren't well aware of him and hadn't done extensive work looking at his strengths and weaknesses it would have been ridiculous.
I didn't say that Poch wouldn't want him, just that he is a name that the club has been looking at before Poch arrived. Just like Dembele, Verts and Sig were eyed up before AVB arrived.

I'm sure Poch is OK with the potential signing

Its like at Utd, they have been after Shaw and Herrera since last summer when Moyes was in charge and now they have LVG they still signed the two. I think clubs these days identify targets and hope that whoever the manager is in charge will agree to the deals.

Rather than comparing them can we not be grateful for potentially having 2 young British left backs that could potentially become very good?

Why wouldn't we compare a potential signing to our existing first choice player in that position?

Not sure Rose would be happy with staying if Davies is made first choice, he's been pretty clear about wanting first team football in the past.

I didn't say that Poch wouldn't want him, just that he is a name that the club has been looking at before Poch arrived. Just like Dembele, Verts and Sig were eyed up before AVB arrived.

I'm sure Poch is OK with the potential signing

Why then shouldn't we trust Poch on this?

Why then shouldn't we trust Poch on this?

I said that we should trust in him improving the player......... like he did with many at Southampton. What is the problem, as I've said clubs these days present managers with potential targets, manager selects who he wants from the list, and if he gets a player he then proceeds with the job of integrating him into his side.

I said that we should trust in him improving the player......... like he did with many at Southampton. What is the problem, as I've said clubs these days present managers with potential targets, manager selects who he wants from the list, and if he gets a player he then proceeds with the job of integrating him into his side.

Rather that than the manager calling his favorite agent and asking him who he's got that's available.

So why isn't trusting Poch on a player whose been a regular in the league he's been working in for the last season and a half to select Ben Davies from that list of potential targets fair enough?

I said I would defer to trusting Poch on this, you're the one saying there's a problem with that and that I have to trust the Spurs scouts instead.

thats a good tool. If thats true, its a no brainer. Better in every department

How about this one?

AeQz0UX.png

How about we forget about stats and rely on whether he does well or not on the pitch with our own eyes. I know that Danny Rose didn't do particularly well with my own eyes. I'm hoping that Spurs have done the homework on Davies and that he's an upgrade or at least a potential one.

How about we forget about stats and rely on whether he does well or not on the pitch with our own eyes. I know that Danny Rose didn't do particularly well with my own eyes. I'm hoping that Spurs have done the homework on Davies and that he's an upgrade or at least a potential one.

Why wouldnt you use stats? As I just said they arent everything, but believe it or not you dont see everything a Spurs player does and even when you do things are forgotten as football is so busy....

I know stats arent everything but overall those stats suggest Rose was the superior player no?

No, they don't. Infact, the key stats for a left-back/defender for me, the defensive errors stats are all in Davies' favour. As well as successful passes, which are significantly in Davies' favour.

What that tells me is that the stand out stats that you can put down to the individual rather than the way the team sets up and plays, the passing accuracy and defensive errors (by the individual) are in Davies' favour.

Back