• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Are you happy with the Ben Davies Signing?

• Total voters
I'd be happy enough with this. Good solid defender and a decent ballplayer. If Rodriguez and Blind are out of reach (both would cost double and will have more prestigious suitors), then Davies is a good option.

Ideally we'd throw in Siggy and/or Rose and pay virtually no cash, saving the Livermore cash to invest in another position instead.

I know they are a community owned club but I thought they were running up debts, sure I read that somewhere.

Only one of a few clubs that are in profit,they pay much of salaries as bonuses. They've just signed a french striker on a free where a year ago he nearly went to Saudi Sportswashing Machine for £8million. They are a well run club, the £15 million they had for joe allen has paid for two new training grounds,and they've put an application to increase the capacity of the ground to 30,000 over the next two years.
Still got a couple of assets,the big rumour down here is that Mitchu be off,so that be another £10+ million plus on a player they bought for £2.5 mill.Bony be staying unless they get a bid of £20 mill.

With regards to ben davies ive seen him a few times,defensively he done well for someone whose only had just under two years premiership experience ,he's excellent going forward,can head the ball well but sometimes tends to ball watch a bit at the back but thats down to his age, overall he be an excellent signing for us.Heard he's already had talks a few weeks back,he had to cut short his holiday and everything is agreed, i presume the delay is for Swansea to sign a replacement.

Need someone to explain why it is because of the new tv deal values have gone up for players we want to buy yet for Siggi as an example he stays at the value we paid for him two years ago!

Straight swap should be fair deal here.

Eh?

The stats were originally posted in order to make the case for Davies. And one or two posters subsequently commented favourably about him as a result.

But the point is that those first stats were pretty meaningless. They only became meaningful (to the extent that stats can actually be meaningful) once they were expressed as a per game measurement.

Edit: Actually, now I'm really confused! I've just realised that it was you who posted the final set of stats. So I've either completely misunderstood your point or I'm completely lost!

First set of stats were posted which made Davies look a lot better than Rose, even though they were posted as total values which is a silly scale to use considering Davies played a lot more than Rose, no one had a problem with stats at that point though as it made Davies look good. I posted some fairer per 90 minute stats(I didn't personally make them) and because Rose comes out favourably it's all "stats need context" "stats are useless" etc.

Need someone to explain why it is because of the new tv deal values have gone up for players we want to buy yet for Siggi as an example he stays at the value we paid for him two years ago!

Straight swap should be fair deal here.

Because he hasn't been particularly good and thus isn't wanted by a lot of clubs. When we signed him he was wanted by ourselves and Liverpool, clubs with clear top 4 ambitions. Now he's wanted by mid table clubs.

First set of stats were posted which made Davies look a lot better than Rose, even though they were posted as total values which is a silly scale to use considering Davies played a lot more than Rose, no one had a problem with stats at that point though as it made Davies look good. I posted some fairer per 90 minute stats(I didn't personally make them) and because Rose comes out favourably it's all "stats need context" "stats are useless" etc.

Still not having it that the 2nd set of stats paint Rose as an equal or better player.

You look at these key stats: Passing accuracy, minutes played (assuming you can take this as some kind of indication of fitness levels/injury proneness) and defensive errors and Davies is all significantly superior to Rose, even in the 2nd set of stats, which you state are fairer.

So when you consider what you are looking for in a left-back to suit Poch's style of play, the 2nd set of stats suggest Davies is less error prone, fitter and can pass a ball more accurately than Rose.

I don't actually believe you can read too much into stats, but looking at a 'stat based argument', i don't buy it that the 2nd set of stats paint Rose favourably against Davies at all. I'm not ignoring the stats that Rose is superior in, i'm just stating that looking at what stats Rose appears to be superior in, they can mostly be deemed more to do with the style of play of the team and role asked to play of the left back, whereas the stats i have highlighted have more to do with the quality of the individual in question.

Still not having it that the 2nd set of stats paint Rose as an equal or better player.

You look at these key stats: Passing accuracy, minutes played (assuming you can take this as some kind of indication of fitness levels/injury proneness) and defensive errors and Davies is all significantly superior to Rose, even in the 2nd set of stats, which you state are fairer.

So when you consider what you are looking for in a left-back to suit Poch's style of play, the 2nd set of stats suggest Davies is less error prone, fitter and can pass a ball more accurately than Rose.

I don't actually believe you can read too much into stats, but looking at a 'stat based argument', i don't buy it that the 2nd set of stats paint Rose favourably against Davies at all. I'm not ignoring the stats that Rose is superior in, i'm just stating that looking at what stats Rose appears to be superior in, they can mostly be deemed more to do with the style of play of the team and role asked to play of the left back, whereas the stats i have highlighted have more to do with the quality of the individual in question.

Now you're just picking and choosing the stats to which you wish to ascribe importance - because it suits your argument. If you're going to use stats, you either use all the stats or none.

Besides, the categories that you have deemed to be acceptable - passing accuracy, fitness, defensive errors - are no less questionable than the categories that you have dismissed. Passing accuracy......do you know that Rose doesn't generally attempt more ambitious, attacking passes than Davies? Fitness........what if Davies were to be injured next season but Rose not? Defensive errors.....we're talking about the difference between one error and three - a tiny sample and not a sound basis for any kind of definitive evaluation.

Stats should be used to back up an opinion, not to form one.

Agreed, and also to test an opinion formed on the basis of watching games. And it should always be soundly reasoned why a particular stat is a valid measurement for the player(s) in question.

Now you're just picking and choosing the stats to which you wish to ascribe importance - because it suits your argument. If you're going to use stats, you either use all the stats or none.

Besides, the categories that you have deemed to be acceptable - passing accuracy, fitness, defensive errors - are no less questionable than the categories that you have dismissed. Passing accuracy......do you know that Rose doesn't generally attempt more ambitious, attacking passes than Davies? Fitness........what if Davies were to be injured next season but Rose not? Defensive errors.....we're talking about the difference between one error and three - a tiny sample and not a sound basis for any kind of definitive evaluation.

Ding Ding. NWND pretty much just proved my point and I didn't even have to say anything.

I think Rose is a little harshly treated on here at times.... Especially as it was often Ericksen who played in front of him, thus not giving Rose the protection that most fullbacks get from their wide midfielder. It is very difficult to look competent when being forced to deal with two players, witness for example how poor Baines looked against Italy, with Rooney in front of him choosing to/instructed to not track the runs of Italy's right back. However that being said, I got thoroughly fed up with Rose's lack of desire to get back in position when we turned over posession with us caught upfield (especially when on some of those occasions it was him that was responsible for us turning over that posession). I wonder if Rose would've shown that same lack of desire if we'd actually had another left back to play instead of him?

I would be happy with us signing Davies and also keeping Rose next season. The two of them can fight for a place - hopefully bringing out the best in them.

Because he hasn't been particularly good and thus isn't wanted by a lot of clubs. When we signed him he was wanted by ourselves and Liverpool, clubs with clear top 4 ambitions. Now he's wanted by mid table clubs.

He has been OK.. and I thought we got him cheap because his parent German club were strapped for cash or his contract was run down!, similar to Vertonghen and Lloris.

we have to be wary of curve grades as well, Rose playing for Spurs is under far more pressure than Davies playing for Swansea, if Rose ****s up that's the weekends story, if that other guy did what sorry not listening anymore who cares...

when Rose had his good season at Sunderland it wasn't reported as Sunderland player does well, it was reported as, on loan spurs player might be good enough for Spurs after all

Agreed, and also to test an opinion formed on the basis of watching games. And it should always be soundly reasoned why a particular stat is a valid measurement for the player(s) in question.
I agree with both you and UKSB. Can I also put in a word for using stats to challenge your thoughts/assumptions rather than just concentrate on the ones that support them.

Tottenham are determined to overcome a transfer wrangle with Swansea City in their attempts to land left-back Ben Davies.

New Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino wants the Wales international to be his first-choice left-back next season.

Spurs and Swansea have been locked in talks over a proposed move for Davies - who is valued at £12million - to White Hart Lane.

Tottenham thought they had made a breakthrough in discussions last Friday, after tabling an offer for the full-back that they believed was enough to snare Davies.

Sportsmail understands the 21-year-old was even due to arrive at the club's Enfield training ground on Monday for talks.

However, sources close to the deal claim Swans chairman Huw Jenkins pulled the plug on the deal over the weekend, causing a delay in the move.

Pochettino still remains highly interested in signing Davies ahead of next season, and Tottenham are trying to revive the deal.

However, it remains to be seen whether an agreement can be reached following the wrangle.

Davies is also attracting interest from Atletico Madrid.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2677814/Tottenham-desperate-overcome-transfer-wrangle-Swansea-sign-Ben-Davies.html

Back