• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB out or not?

AVB out or not?

• Yes

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 62 49.2%
  • Give him a few more game to turn it around

Votes: 44 34.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There was no growth. Redknapp got us out of a slump and we overachieved slightly before slowly declining. The problem with him is that his only solution is to buy more players.

Ssshhhh, you're not allowed to answer, I want Hully's answer! Keep quiet in the back of the class! ;)

So the CL we've qualified for twice in 131 seasons? And the negative amount that AVB has spent during his time in charge?

Our defence was the best in the league before yesterday balls-up and our midfield has bossed all comers (even yesterday). The only thing we are lacking is a bit of understanding in the front 4.

:ross::ross:

The only thing we are lacking is a bit of understanding in the front 4?

That's all you think we're lacking? no more issues? dear GHod.

If he takes a single first teamer to Norway, in my view he has lost all perspective on what is important to the fans and has to go.

The next two PL games could define our season. Full attention needs to be paid to these critical games. We have already qualified for the EL ffs.

If he takes a single first teamer to Norway, in my view he has lost all perspective on what is important to the fans and has to go.

The next two PL games could define our season. Full attention needs to be paid to these critical games. We have already qualified for the EL ffs.

But in all likelihood they'll just be 5% of one if the season's competitions and not define it at all other than part of a longer-term accumulation of points.

But in all likelihood they'll just be 5% of one if the season's competitions and not define it at all other than part of a longer-term accumulation of points.

Of course you are correct statistically. But the direction we are travelling must be clear to all and these two games are vital after such a humiliation. It will tell us if the players buy in to his project and are still behind him and will show whether he has taken on board the need to play in a way which will satisfy our desire to see entertaining football. No more excuses.

This is going to be an absolutely horrible season whether he goes or not. A good time to catch up on your reading.

It could be years before we're challenging for a top four place again.

No

But after watching Spurs go into CL and be competing for it on a regular basis, I find our results, our attitude and our style of play disgusting. Sure, every team can hit a couple of rough results but the thing is we fully deserve to get hammered 6-0 and we should be lower in the table. There is NOTHING going on on the pitch except for clueless tactics and headless chickens running around.

Really happy that some people find it acceptable not to score on a regular basis with a squad like ours and the financial power it took to build it.

Disgusting?
DISGUSTING?
Really?
Good grief, some of the hyperbole here is really something.

What you saw yesterday was raw nerves combined with an increasing bewilderment. Anxiety. Because AVB rides that crest of anxiety himself, and I'd say he's been getting increasingly anxious for the last month or so. It's only so long before everything rolls down from the top. I did not see a 'disgusting' attitude from the players, I did see enormous and increasing anxiety. The worry as to what, exactly, to do. The worry about bursting out or trying to maintain shape.
Think about it.
You work for a week on a plan, and within 20 seconds that plan is undone due largely to an error and a great finish. You knuckle down, respond well, get some control of the game back, settle, look like you can make a fist of it and then suddenly due to a large slice of misfortune, you're two down. Then the panic sets in.

I could go on and on…

I don't think anybody here is trying to make excuses for yesterday. It was an absolute shocker, and obviously, as it's his team, the manager has to bear the brunt of responsibility.

But personally speaking, some of the absolute GUFF I've seen, plus comments about our play being 'disgusting' make me wonder how long some people have watched this club.

'Disgusting'? Oh there have been far far far worse in terms of absolute capitulation and surrender...

That may be. It kind of brings me back to my point earlier though.

Most people on this forum voted that AVB needed at least a season once he had his team in place to be judged. I don't know if this is the squad he wanted or just what was available, but let's assume it is his finalised squad. Barring any "serious relegation fears" we're at least 6 months too early (far more than that IMO) from the point at which we can make an accurate assessment of what's happening.

Whilst it looks terrible right now, what if we're that one signing AVB wanted from it all clicking? Remember what we used to look like when Modric was injured? Fvcking awful. Put that player back into the team and we looked like world beaters. I'm not saying it's the case (in fact it's quite unlikely) but what if we're just a January transfer window away from the system working for the next few decades?

Let me go one further.
As I keep on saying (curiously to no reply from the dawn chorus) AVB has actually NOT been given his first choices in any window at the club thus far.
He wanted Moutinho, he did not get him.
He wanted Villa, he did not get him.
He wanted Oscar, he did not get him.
He wanted Contrao, he did not get him.
He wanted Willian, got closer here than any other but ultimately did not get him.

He did not want to lose Modric but had to face the facts.
He thought he had Bale for one more season, he lost him around Hong Kong.

Again, the geezer has not complained, but that's besides the point.

All this 'he spent 100 million'…we have a Director of Football situation in place, which ALL OF US were excited by as I remember. There will have been a list of players/types of player wanted. Baldini will have come back with players he could get that he felt suited the manager's remit. There will, for example, always be a question mark as to whether Lamela was a Baldini or AVB buy? If you consider that the club has gone for the DOF structure so as there will be continuity with the playing staff, you'd guess that perhaps Baldini was the one who suggested him and AVB went along with it.

No-one is saying AVB shouldn't be able to do better, and that if this is the best he can do, then it spells trouble…but there is a genuine concern for me that people are confusing 100 million spent with 'AVB's choice' and that perhaps, just perhaps, he is in the middle of something which requires more work than Fifa14 'champions' can fathom (although that much has to be obvious right now)…I will say right now I suspect he'd have been happier with a 50 million budget and Bale (for example) than 100 million…

I'll be interested to see who can read this in it's entire context and not just the context they want to see...

The only thing we are lacking is a bit of understanding in the front 4?

That's all you think we're lacking? no more issues? dear GHod.

Tactics of the manager aside , let's say our front four had had scored another four or five goals which is not unreasonable? Spread these over two or three games, lets say Everton away and Saudi Sportswashing Machine at home, meaning we had an extra four or five points in the table?

Oh, we'd be second in the league :-k

There's a few things that I just don't get with AVB...

1) Why does he keep changing the team so often? Pick a team and stick with it, if one or two players seem to decline in form or are getting tired then bring one of the others in and leave them there for a while. This constant changing has got to, at least in part, be why we can't get any cohesive displays going.

2) Why is he sticking with this high line and split centre backs, it's fine against the dross who don't come out of their own half very often but when you're playing teams like city who are capable of picking off any loose passes or errors and then punishing us when they happen we're just asking for trouble, that's not to mention the trouble we get in with balls over the top and pacey attackers. West ham got 3 past us, that should have been a warning that this system doesn't work so why stick to it, especially against quality teams?

3) How has he managed to spend £30m on Lamela, £30m on Soldado, £11m on Eriksen and ended up with a team incapable of scoring any goals, City have scored more in their last two games than we have from open play all season. It's a joke!

4) Why is he incapable of changing things. Fair enough at 1-0 we were still in the game and had spells where (if we were capable of scoring) we could have got back in it. But surely at 2-0, 3-0 etc etc he should be looking to switch it up but he never does.

I was behind AVB despite all his problems at Chelsea but the more I watch Spurs the more I think it's too big of a job too soon for him.

Why is this a separate thread, can't we stick with just one to talk about AVB? It's hard to keep up with the same points being made ad infinitum in 2 places.

I thought perhaps something exciting had happened as a billion posts were added to these threads, but no... just the same cycle of posts flopping into place like a raw sausage tied to a Penny Farthing.

Why is this a separate thread, can't we stick with just one to talk about AVB? It's hard to keep up with the same points being made ad infinitum in 2 places.

I thought perhaps something exciting had happened as a billion posts were added to these threads, but no... just the same cycle of posts flopping into place like a raw sausage tied to a Penny Farthing.

We have tried once mate, as you've seen, but given the weekend, I personally felt that

a) this sort of thread was inevitable and
b) I think it will run it's course in the next couple of days and we will all revert to the main one…as long as stupid mods stop posting in it!!!!!
\o/

reminds me of the ramos era...has tomato ketchup been banned?

When we were scrapping games 1-0 I did think by now he would've had the team at least starting to play a bit more creatively but unfortunatley the football has become mundane and agonizingly frustrating yet again and it is starting to feel like the Ramos era!!! And I really, really believed that it would NEVER become THAT bad ever again!

I think he should be given a few more games to see how he responds. All this season he's been deffending himself massivley and using the "unlucky" tag when ever we've lost. Yesterdays performance was unexcusable though and hopefully it will give him a huge kick up the backside and make him realise the pressure is starting to heat up.

If by mid-december we're still like this I think it's time to say goodbye to him and have Baldini and Levy sit down to discuss who the best replacment is.

Back