• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB out or not?

AVB out or not?

• Yes

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 62 49.2%
  • Give him a few more game to turn it around

Votes: 44 34.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We have tried once mate, as you've seen, but given the weekend, I personally felt that

a) this sort of thread was inevitable and
b) I think it will run it's course in the next couple of days and we will all revert to the main one…as long as stupid mods stop posting in it!!!!!
\o/

Just to add to the list of stupid mods posting in here, I left this open in the hope it would keep the other one less retarded.

That failed.

where is the "Dont care either way" option?

it would be silly to get rid now though, but am not really bothered either way

Answers in bold as I think they're great questions for debate

There's a few things that I just don't get with AVB...

1) Why does he keep changing the team so often? Pick a team and stick with it, if one or two players seem to decline in form or are getting tired then bring one of the others in and leave them there for a while. This constant changing has got to, at least in part, be why we can't get any cohesive displays going.

I think he is sometimes an over-evaluator in the sense that he strives for the perfect selection…also, re: City, he didn't have half the squad for two weeks due to internationals, and like every manager I suspect he tried to freshen up the selection.

2) Why is he sticking with this high line and split centre backs, it's fine against the dross who don't come out of their own half very often but when you're playing teams like city who are capable of picking off any loose passes or errors and then punishing us when they happen we're just asking for trouble, that's not to mention the trouble we get in with balls over the top and pacey attackers. West ham got 3 past us, that should have been a warning that this system doesn't work so why stick to it, especially against quality teams?

It is a delicate system that requires a lot of intelligence and very very sharp coverage, not to mention CBs who are excellent footballers and not just 'clear it' defenders. I think with players such as Vertonghen and Chiriches, you can allow the CB's to split when in retreat, Sandro can drop in and then one of your central mids has to drop in and help deep. I think a major major problem yesterday was that Paulinho was again knackered and Holtby was absolutely lost! He was nowhere far too often...

3) How has he managed to spend £30m on Lamela, £30m on Soldado, £11m on Eriksen and ended up with a team incapable of scoring any goals, City have scored more in their last two games than we have from open play all season. It's a joke!

Longer post with regards to this subject in this thread I believe…it is a question, but in short, we need a player like Ade in behind Soldado right now.

4) Why is he incapable of changing things. Fair enough at 1-0 we were still in the game and had spells where (if we were capable of scoring) we could have got back in it. But surely at 2-0, 3-0 etc etc he should be looking to switch it up but he never does.

He tried yesterday. 3-0 down at HT, pulls off Holtby, puts on Ade, that's a change of shape and style. It simply didn't work.

I was behind AVB despite all his problems at Chelsea but the more I watch Spurs the more I think it's too big of a job too soon for him.

Time will tell. Let's hope you're wrong. I was emphatically sure you would be a few weeks ago, I will admit that my confidence is not quite so great, however common sense and loyalty dictates to me that the guy deserves the season (at least) providing the tits do not go skywards in the dressing room with regards to squad and him...

Why is this a separate thread, can't we stick with just one to talk about AVB? It's hard to keep up with the same points being made ad infinitum in 2 places.

I thought perhaps something exciting had happened as a billion posts were added to these threads, but no... just the same cycle of posts flopping into place like a raw sausage tied to a Penny Farthing.

We're back at the old mega thread question again. Why does everything have to go in one place? I've barely been on here recently as I can't be arsed to sift through the mega threads and find what actually interests me, I came on saw this thread that I thought was topical and might be an interesting read to gauge other peoples current, (kneejerk) opinions on AVB and gave it a read, I wouldn't have read, or contributed to the AVB thread.

If we're not careful we'll end up with one big thread called Spurs and we'll put everything in there as it's all about Spurs at the end of the day. We'll also not have many posters left posting in that thread.

There's something much bigger at stake than just this season though. AVB is a man with a vision, who will build a dynasty. Like Nicholson, Burkinshaw, Ferguson and Wenger. The first three of those took three seasons to really shape their sides.

I couldn't cope with throwing all the serious structural reform out the window again and going for a short-termist populist appointment.

what if his vision is wrong??? and also he himself has said he doesnt want to stay in management too long. Plus if Levy really believes in this guy he wouldnt have a year and a half left on his contract.

what if his vision is wrong??? and also he himself has said he doesnt want to stay in management too long. Plus if Levy really believes in this guy he wouldnt have a year and a half left on his contract.

He is a young enough man to change his vision or at least alter it. His future rests on how pragmatic or stubborn he is now. I hope he gets some good advice from someone he trusts. I don't know who that might be but there must be someone whose footballing opinion he values.

I wonder is there any merit in getting some of the senior pros around the table and seeking their input. I know management by committee is not the best way of doing things but at a minimum it will help him from a man management perspective. It might help build a siege mentality, us and them, which is what we need after that mauling. And who knows a different viewpoint might actually help. And furthermore the title of the meeting should be 'How to feed Soldado'. This for me is our main problem.

I wish we could "decline" this season by finishing 4th.

Yeah finishing above a team with proven winners and/or world class players the likes of Cech, Terry, Lampard, Ashley Cole, Ramires, Drogba, Mata and Ivanovic should have been a piece of ****. Can you imagine the the excuses that would be made for AVB at the end of the season if United finished 5th and won the CL?

Anyway, back to the main issue, not out for me just yet. Results and performances need to improve quickly though, not expecting anything against United, but for gods sake, let's show a bit more fight and guile than we did yesterday.

I would like to know what this masterplan is that he's got tucked up his sleeve. Genuine question. If his ultimate goal really is to have us playing attacking, free flowing football, then why has it taken over a year to materialise when other managers have stamped their authority and style of play on their teams in far less time?

I would like to know what this masterplan is that he's got tucked up his sleeve. Genuine question. If his ultimate goal really is to have us playing attacking, free flowing football, then why has it taken over a year to materialise when other managers have stamped their authority and style of play on their teams in far less time?

It's a very good question that I have yet to see a reasonably good answer to. I'm with you though, I don't think we should sack him just yet, just to clarify. But I'm also struggling to see the brilliant masterplan he's supposedly scheming for us.

I doubt it's radically different from what we are seeing now, just less of the sloppy passing around the box and more precision slips into Soldado.

Evolution not revolution.

Yeah finishing above a team with proven winners and/or world class players the likes of Cech, Terry, Lampard, Ashley Cole, Ramires, Drogba, Mata and Ivanovic should have been a piece of ****. Can you imagine the the excuses that would be made for AVB at the end of the season if United finished 5th and won the CL?

Anyway, back to the main issue, not out for me just yet. Results and performances need to improve quickly though, not expecting anything against United, but for gods sake, let's show a bit more fight and guile than we did yesterday.

Have you read his book yet?
I really think you should...

Jesus Christ does everything have to be about Redknapp with you guys

Nope, i think it just has to do with people hitting us hard back then despite the fact that we view said people as complete double standard hypocrites

at least thats my motivation anyway billy.

why on earth would i let one of the worst experiences i have had on this place due to what i perceived to be ignorance and hypocrisy and quite frankly complete lies in some situations, slide when there is ample chance to prove those traits in others (especially when they dont admit it or hold on to the hypocrisy)

just giving a perspective of when i do it. i dont feel the need at this moment though

Last edited:
We can't leave it so late to get caught up in the bottom battle,we have been there too many times in the past,when you have a bunch of players not performing and a coach that isn't getting it right the danger is there.

Nope, i think it just has to do with people hitting us hard back then despite the fact that we view said people as complete double standard hypocrites

at least thats my motivation anyway billy.

why on earth would i let one of the worst experiences i have had on this place due to what i perceived to be ignorance and hypocrisy and quite frankly complete lies in some situations, slide when there is ample chance to prove those traits in others (especially when they dont admit it or hold on to the hypocrisy)

just giving a perspective of when i do it. i dont feel the need at this moment though

You haven't proved anything other than how bitter you are over the whole exchange to be quite honest.

i still believe we should judge him at the end of the season, unless the next run of games are equally appalling and/or it looks as though the dressing room is not behind him.

Nice post billy!

As for the players not believing in him I don't buy the City game as an example of that as some here seem to indicate. Of course the players were looking dejected, just look at the result. I thought the players kept their heads up and kept trying in a very good way. Had we gotten a goal back at 2-0 or even 3-0 i think we would have been capable of turning it around. The player's heads dropping when that didn't happen and City scored more is only natural.

As far as I'm concerned Levy brought in AVB because he believed AVB could bring something to the club that Redknapp couldn't.

We saw a couple of problematic periods last season under AVB, but he was able to turn it around. This is probably the hardest period for him so far and the period where he's under the most pressure he's been under at Spurs. Things are problematic, but far from terrible.

Levy would have known when he hired AVB that sooner or later a tough period would come around. He wouldn't have hired AVB if he didn't think he was able to turn us around in a situation like this one. If at some point it become clear that AVB isn't capable of doing that then of course his days are numbered, but I don't think we're close to that at this point.

Back