• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Assou-Ekotto

I don't really know much about the "comedian" friend so really the article above was interesting, but in terms of this tweet, when was it? I think if it was after having all gigs banned on account of him being anti semitic I understand where you're coming from but it still doesn't prove anything.

BAE will put lol after pretty much anything, that's a given. If they are good friends then Benny would think he'd enjoy it and would want him to see a game.

White Hart Lane isn't wall to wall hasidic jews, with Rabbis playing the dreidal game for the half time entertainment. It's a football club with supporters from many different backgrounds/religions. If it wasn't for the large Jewish following then I wouldn't be a fan of Spurs, but it most certainly isn't a Jewish club as you said. Linking religion and football in a false way to be offended isn't a productive practice.

We do kinda constantly shout the Y word...

He was arrested last week for coming out in support of the terrorist who attacked the jewish supermarket.
He really wasn't. He said "Je Suis Charlie Coulibaly". Which means he relates to both from my reading. That's all he said. He was arrested for it. It could be construed as hate speech. I think it comes under free speech according to the standards which people are demanding. But hey, why would their be consistency.

I dislike the guy and I dislike the Quenelle but his arrest shocked me in this instance.

He really wasn't. He said "Je Suis Charlie Coulibaly". Which means he relates to both from my reading. That's all he said. He was arrested for it. It could be construed as hate speech. I think it comes under free speech according to the standards which people are demanding. But hey, why would their be consistency.

I dislike the guy and I dislike the Quenelle but his arrest shocked me in this instance.

How is that not support for the terrorist Coulibaly who murdered 4 jewish people?

How is that not support for the terrorist Coulibaly who murdered 4 jewish people?
It isn't. He said he was Charlie. A magazine he disagreed with but believed in his free speech. He said he was Coulibaly. A young man brain washed and angry, he disagreed with him but felt for him as he is a reflection of what is happening in society. His statement was in no way condoning the killing of them poor people in the supermarket. It was an attempt at eloquence which cost him his freedom.

I don't really know much about the "comedian" friend so really the article above was interesting, but in terms of this tweet, when was it? I think if it was after having all gigs banned on account of him being anti semitic I understand where you're coming from but it still doesn't prove anything.

BAE will put lol after pretty much anything, that's a given. If they are good friends then Benny would think he'd enjoy it and would want him to see a game.

White Hart Lane isn't wall to wall hasidic jews, with Rabbis playing the dreidal game for the half time entertainment. It's a football club with supporters from many different backgrounds/religions. If it wasn't for the large Jewish following then I wouldn't be a fan of Spurs, but it most certainly isn't a Jewish club as you said. Linking religion and football in a false way to be offended isn't a productive practice.

The thing I find very interesting is how the comedian in question went from campaigning against the NF, rising to fame in a partnership with a Jewish comic (might be not 100% on that, just what the article suggested) to becoming such a prominent anti semitic figure.

What a crock of ****.
There no need to defend him at all costs he doesn't play for Liverpool.

Here's the tweet
https://twitter.com/assouekotto/status/402530217186824192

Its a full month before Anelka did the gesture. So Ekotto knows its an anti Semitic gesture.

What a crock of ****.

Here's the tweet

Its a full month before Anelka did the gesture. So Ekotto knows its an anti Semitic gesture.

Personally, I read the lol at the end ironically to mean something like; "We've had this conversation previously about Spurs being a Jewish club and you've said something derogatory with respect to that, which is why I'm sarcastically saying you'd love to sit amongst lots of Jewish people... not."

BAE has always comes across to me as being rather Anti-French, and like a lot of 2nd and 3rd generation children of immigrants, this anti-Frenchness is finding expression in a strong Muslim identity, which conversely generates an Anti-Semitic sentiment due to the ongoing Israeli-Palestine conflict.

Personally, I read the lol at the end ironically to mean something like; "We've had this conversation previously about Spurs being a Jewish club and you've said something derogatory with respect to that, which is why I'm sarcastically saying you'd love to sit amongst lots of Jewish people... not."

BAE has always comes across to me as being rather Anti-French, and like a lot of 2nd and 3rd generation children of immigrants, this anti-Frenchness is finding expression in a strong Muslim identity, which conversely generates an Anti-Semitic sentiment due to the ongoing Israeli-Palestine conflict.

His lol means 'lots of love' and he puts it on all his tweets and always has done. You just have to ignore it.

His lol means 'lots of love' and he puts it on all his tweets and always has done. You just have to ignore it.

No, he clearly doesn't put it on all his tweets and it clearly means laughing out loud, which is the universally accepted meaning of lol, as a way of expressing having found something amusing.

What a crock of ****.

Here's the tweet

I'm sorry but I just don't buy in to the whole disgust over the quenelle, having spoken to a wide variety of French people about it in France whilst I was living there and also before that.

Benny might know that the gesture's meaning has taken on another negative perception but believes in the original reason for it. Therefore I'm not saying it's okay for him to have done it like Scara said about how the Swastika wasn't originally about anti semitism, as a footballer perhaps he should have known that much would have been made of it in a negative light.

"The Quenelle is an antagonistic gesture designed to offend Jews. Simple. No excuse for it."

This view is just simply incorrect.

"The Quenelle has become an antagonistic gesture designed to offend Jews for some people."

Is closer.

And I don't believe that BAE's gesture was one that was to purvey his hatred of the Jewish religion and it's followers. Maybe you do. I guess unless we get Benny in a room with a lie detector we won't know and this debate will go round in circles.

It's a sign of peace, prosperity and good luck - it adorns a lot of buildings in one of the Far East countries but if I guess and say one it'll be the other, let's say Japan...
Could just say Essex:
_73201579_swastika.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26369329

No, he clearly doesn't put it on all his tweets and it clearly means laughing out loud, which is the universally accepted meaning of lol, as a way of expressing having found something amusing.

It can also mean lots of love, which makes infinitely more sense with most of his tweets.

It can also mean lots of love, which makes infinitely more sense with most of his tweets.

No, it can't also mean lots of love, it means "laugh(ing) out loud" - you could just as easily say rofl means "really orgasmic finger love" when in fact everyone knows it doesn't mean that. Only old people unfamiliar with Internet jargon think lol means "lots of love" like the person who wrote - "Your grandmother has just passed away. LOL." http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12893416

And all BAE uses of it read to me as meant to express humour or that he's got a smile on his face at the time of writing his tweet I.E.

"Watch my car man's TV show tonight. #Ultimatewheels #historychannel #londonmotormuseum 9pm channel 529 on sky. An afro man too LOL"

To repeat Jordinho's point which you've not understood, it definitely can. Your flat out denying of this is quite strange

Yes, I'm flat out denying it, like I'm denying pink can on occasion mean blue or that anus can sometimes mean penis. Some people may use lol mistakenly to mean lots of love, but I don't believe anyone at all would use it with interchangeable meanings, how would we supposed to know what they were trying to say? And just looking at his twitter account shows there's an element of either humour intended when he uses lol or it's to express he's happy and smiling at the time of writing - I can't imagine how anyone can't see that.

Ergo - his use in the aforementioned tweet was clearly an in joke about the subject of his anti-Semitic friend coming to watch a game at White Hart Lane and being surrounded by Jews and not particularly liking it. Though I don't believe BAE himself is anti-Semitic, though he's aware his friend is.

Say I was going to a party with a friend and he told me my crazy ex girlfriend was going there too by email, he would write: "I'm sure you'd love to see her again LOL!" Cannot you see this?

Last edited:
The last few pages of this thread sum up a large societal problem

The inability to listen to other points of view once a argument has been made
I think internet forums ( not exclusively) have created a culture where people spout opinion without research or knowledge and then cannot back track even when they are corrected or presented with solid counter argument

Yes, I'm flat out denying it, like I'm denying pink can on occasion mean blue or that anus can sometimes mean penis. Some people may use lol mistakenly to mean lots of love, but I don't believe anyone at all would use it with interchangeable meanings, how would we supposed to know what they were trying to say? And just looking at his twitter account shows there's an element of either humour intended when he uses lol or it's to express he's happy and smiling at the time of writing - I can't imagine how anyone can't see that.

Ergo - his use in the aforementioned tweet was clearly an in joke about the subject of his anti-Semitic friend coming to watch a game at White Hart Lane and being surrounded by Jews and not particularly liking it. Though I don't believe BAE himself is anti-Semitic, though he's aware his friend is.

Say I was going to a party with a friend and he told me my crazy ex girlfriend was going there too by email, he would write: "I'm sure you'd love to see her again LOL!" Cannot you not see this?

I'm not discussing lol in terms of what it means/meant in tweets from BAE, you clearly stated lol can't mean lots of love, which is clearly *******s. And is nowhere near the same as the colour blue being called red. Sometimes there's a chance that a combination of letters might have two acronym(ic?) meanings and lol is one of those cases. One use might be newer than the other and be used by different demographics but they both exist. If maybe you weren't so clear and were just referring specifically to the use of lol within BAE's tweets then we're not on the same conversational page here.

Last edited:

Say I was going to a party with a friend and he told me my crazy ex girlfriend was going there too by email, he would write: "I'm sure you'd love to see her again LOL!" Cannot you see this?

there was the whole David Cameron - Rebekah Brooks thing where he signed off LOL meaning 'Lots of Love' but she pointed out that it was generally accepted that it meant 'Laugh out Loud' and Cameron took loads of abuse in the media for it.

personally think, whilst it can be used, either way, the over-whelming understanding is 'Laugh out Loud'

Doesn't mean BAE uses it in a conventional way though - being the radical hipster that he is.

Is he still at the club???

When Ekotto writes 'Come on you Spurs LOL' he's actually making fun of us?

No, in this context he's expressing he has a smile on his face - though it's a rather unusual way of using it, not often seen. I don't see how it means "lots of love", as I said before, anyone who uses social media a lot will quickly become aware it means laughing out loud. And there are plenty of tweets where that usage may be appropriate but he hasn't used it - he makes use of a heart symbol to express what you're attributing his meaning of lol as.

I think I have clearly shown beyond a reasonable doubt that he was making reference to his friends well known anti-Semitism, and there is plenty of supporting evidence to back this up.

The defence case amounts to believing he uses the same acronym to mean two different things - or are you disputing the indisputable uses of LOL he users that clearly do mean Laughing Out Loud?

Back