• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Are we really a one man team?

Are Spurs really Bale + 10 others?

• Undoubtedly - without Bale we would be mid table at best

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Mmmmm - he is the jewel in a decent group of players most of whom would play in any top 6 side

Votes: 72 79.1%
  • No way - we would still be fourth without our Welsh wizard

Votes: 7 7.7%

• Total voters
Nope. Not in the way it is currently worded.

If you altered it to just be about the offensive unit i might think twice.

One Man Team?

We've been getting slated alot by fans of other teams for being a "one man team" recently, with some Spurs fans saying that other players simply need to step up [Bale, Ade, Dembele]. Is the problem a bit more complex than that though? When RVP was at Arsenal they were accused of being a one man team, but it wasnt as if everything was going through him, he was just the only one capable of finishing things off; I feel like we have a problem with both, and that its to do with Bale's style of play. As glad as I am to have him, and have him in good form, his single mindedness seems to play a large part in this one-man-team situation. Its difficult for us to get into the habit of consistently trying to create clear cut chances [something that we need to do to progress, surely] when you have one or two players [Defoe started doing this before his injury] who's preferred choice is to get the ball and run until they can take a shot from range. I hope Bales form continues, but maybe for the good of the team, long term, the players should be encouraged to vary the angles of attack, and Bale encouraged to involve other players more? A good example of this was in the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game when he was chasing a hattrick [something he admitted after the game] and perhaps could have played in other players but chose to shoot from outside the box.

We need a Man United thread....

I've had this article to post since before the QPR game but had nowhere to put it. (Aside from maybe the stats thread.)

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tacticsandanalysis/id/916?cc=5739

They have fewer shots per game (15) than the rest of the top seven and average less possession (56.4 percent) than three of their biggest rivals (Emirates Marketing Project, Arsenal and Liverpool). They concede more shots per game (13.5) than the rest of the top seven once again -- and even Southampton -- and rank eighth for tackles per match (19.5). Indeed, the only key area in which no team comes close to United statistically is chance conversion. Their 15.1 percent is streets ahead in the league, with Reading in second with 12.7 percent, and it will inevitably draw most people's attention back to one man.

Re: One Man Team?

The Guardian's team line-ups - I hope Lennon and co have a blinder tonight and stuff these jibes up where the sun don't shine

Guardian said:
Teams
West Ham: Jaaskelainen, Reid, Nolan, Jarvis, Carroll, O'Brien, Collins, Demel, Diame, J Cole, O'Neil. Subs: C Cole, Collison, Vaz Te, Taylor, Pogatetz, Chamakh, Spiegel.

Spurs: Lloris, Not Bale, Not Bale, Not Bale, Not Bale, Not Bale, Bale, Not Bale, Not Bale, Not Bale, Not Bale. Subs: Some people who are Not Bale..

People use this to criticise this team but for me Bale not a one man team but he is on another level no doubt. Are Barca a one man team with Messi, or Real with Ronaldo - no. They are simply players who are at the top and playing so well that they make others look poor in comparison.

Anyone want to change their vote - again?

Love writing this after the game - means we won. Long may I continue to do so...

If it was a striker on absolutely hot form and scoring as much as Bale there would not be this discussion because a striker is 'there' to score goals.

Bale is a more free roaming player who more of the play goes through who is also scoring. So really it's a case of a "1 player doing the work of 2 within a team of other players" team. :-k

sky ****s putting up a little table of us with and without bales goals. With we are third obviously and without we are ninth

Ok now do that with Manure without RVP or Liverscum without Suarez oh yeh and Arse without Giroud or Barca without Messi or how about Real without Madrid.

cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunts

Plenty of winning teams have had one player that leads them to glory.

Arsenal would win games purely because of Henry's goals, Bergkamp's goals, or Van Persie later.
Man Utd with Ronaldo and now with Van Persie.

Someone that finishes the moves that the rest of the team create. Doesn't diminish the other players at all. If teams put 2 or 3 players on this 'one man team' then there is space for others. If teams can't stop this one man team, what does it say about their 11 man team! 'Stop Bale and stop Spurs...', but they can't stop him at the moment.

It would be nice if the others could add more goals, like Defoe was doing before injury, but there is more to Spurs than just Bale.

Whenever anyone says one man team, I just repeat it with a mongy voice and my tongue in my lip.

However, when RVP carried arsenal with his 30 goals last year, its probably the same deal with us now. Great players make other lesser players play alot better, but I think credit goes to AVB really for getting Bale to roam without it upsetting the balance.

Lyon proved that you can mark Bale, Adebayor and Lennon and Holtby/the other forward midfielder and one slip, Dembele will step forward and destroy a team. That's the margin now, teams have to mark about 5 forwards for 93mins. bales marker was too tired to get to him for the winning goal, END OF! If that's a one man team *mongvoice* then football probably isn't your forte.

Most of this nonsense is tabloid chatter anyway. Ill just continue to be amazed thanks

sky ****s putting up a little table of us with and without bales goals. With we are third obviously and without we are ninth

Ok now do that with Manure without RVP or Liverscum without Suarez oh yeh and Arse without Giroud or Barca without Messi or how about Real without Madrid.

cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunts

I agree. Such a lazy stat to bring out, really adds nothing to a discussion about a player.

Of course if you took away the top scorer of a team and replaced him with someone who scored no goals they would suffer. Thank you captain obvious.

I agree. Such a lazy stat to bring out, really adds nothing to a discussion about a player.

Of course if you took away the top scorer of a team and replaced him with someone who scored no goals they would suffer. Thank you captain obvious.

Exactly - why do clubs buy good players? haha to get them to win games. Theyre the difference between winning and drawing and between drawing and losing.

I will say though a lot of people on here did suggest that we were that good in the Harry era and it was only moments of genius by individuals that won us the games - just saying haha

Back