• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Are we really a one man team?

Are Spurs really Bale + 10 others?

• Undoubtedly - without Bale we would be mid table at best

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Mmmmm - he is the jewel in a decent group of players most of whom would play in any top 6 side

Votes: 72 79.1%
  • No way - we would still be fourth without our Welsh wizard

Votes: 7 7.7%

• Total voters
As a team we have plenty of quality individuals, but this season not enough players have been consistent for any length of time. Only a few players have put in a good run of form those being Vertoghen, Dembele, Bale, Lloris and Defoe at different times with the only player I can say has been excellent all season being Sandro.

At present Bale is dragging us to the winning line and that does worry me. I've been concerned all season under AVB that we've still yet to put in a great 90 minutes in a game, we can go from the sublime to the ridiculous all in the space of 45 minutes and our league position flatters our performances somewhat this season. Our football under AVB seems forced at times and it could do with being a little more organic, but in his defence we do seem to be building the right mentality and rolling over less.

I said this in another thread, Bale is clearly on a different level compared to the rest of the squad, but other players have got to step it up. He shouldn't have to keep doing the strikers jobs for them.

Wales are pretty much a one man team. The Wales team doesn't win as many games as we do, despite them playing easier opposition. Bale has spent most of the season on our left, as opposed to the right for Wales as they rely on him scoring goals so much that they have to put him on the wing that makes it easier for him to score.

People didn't call us a one man team earlier in the season when Defoe was scoring and Bale wasn't, so meh. I guess the only times that the "one man team" thing gets branded about is when one player is on another level to the rest of their team. That said, looking at the way Suarez, RVP, Messi, Ronaldo, Falcao have carried teams through games, I think we lack another big name or two to prevent people throwing around the "one man team" thing. When we had Modric we didn't get called a one man team because we had another player around Bale's level (with VDV around too)...

But the "one man team" thing doesn't bother me. If you have a player that is doing well, people tend to throw out comments like "where would they be without X?"The important thing is that we can function without him if he gets suspended or whatever. If you look at Arsenal's game against Sunderland, they were in total control with their best player on the pitch, he went off and they couldn't get a kick for 10 minutes and ended up getting a man sent off, then they had to hold on for the rest of the game.

Our problem at the moment is how many key players have been out lately. (Imagine Real Madrid without their two strikers, Ozil is great for assists, Alonso and Modric can pass really well, but for goals, they'd be relying on Ronaldo like crazy.) Hopefully those not injured can be at 100% for the next league game and hopefully Defoe and Kaboul can get back to 100% soon too, we're going to continue to miss Sandro, but nothing can be done about that. We've needed Bale more than usual lately, but we'll be able to win games without needing him to score all our goals. We're lucky he has played exceptionally well when we've needed him to, rather than scoring a hat trick in a 9-0 win but disappearing for 1-0 losses.

Getting 3rd would be so huge because we could sign great players without needing to wait until we play that CL qualifier match. (Plus the extra money from the way CL money is worked out would be nice.) Hopefully the Europa League doesn't tire Bale our for the Premier League.

Last edited:
Wales are pretty much a one man team. The Wales team doesn't win as many games as we do, despite them playing easier opposition. Bale has spent most of the season on our left, as opposed to the right for Wales as they rely on him scoring goals so much that they have to put him on the wing that makes it easier for him to score.

People didn't call us a one man team earlier in the season when Defoe was scoring and Bale wasn't, so meh. I guess the only times that the "one man team" thing gets branded about is when one player is on another level to the rest of their team. That said, looking at the way Suarez, RVP, Messi, Ronaldo, Falcao have carried teams through games, I think we lack another big name or two to prevent people throwing around the "one man team" thing. When we had Modric we didn't get called a one man team because we had another player around Bale's level (with VDV around too)...

But the "one man team" thing doesn't bother me. If you have a player that is doing well, people tend to throw out comments like "where would they be without X?"The important thing is that we can function without him if he gets suspended or whatever. If you look at Arsenal's game against Sunderland, they were in total control with their best player on the pitch, he went off and they couldn't get a kick for 10 minutes and ended up getting a man sent off, then they had to hold on for the rest of the game.

Our problem at the moment is how many key players have been out lately. Hopefully those not injured can be at 100% for the next league game and hopefully Defoe and Kaboul can get back to 100% soon too, we're going to continue to miss Sandro, but nothing can be done about that. We've needed Bale more than usual lately, but we'll be able to win games without needing him to score all our goals. We're lucky he has played exceptionally well when we've needed him to, rather than scoring a hat trick in a 9-0 win but disappearing for 1-0 losses.

Getting 3rd would be so huge because we could sign great players without needing to wait until we play that CL qualifier match. (Plus the extra money from the way CL money is worked out would be nice.) Hopefully the Europa League doesn't tire Bale our for the Premier League.

I never looked at it like that. Very good point.

I worked out yesterday, take away his goals and we would be 10 points worse off, in the fight for Europa more than CL, so yes he is our best player, but for a large part of the season he wasn't the only one scoring. Every top team has at least one player maximum two who can drag them through when the rest of the team isn't playing as well. The last 3 games have been as simple as that.

For all their great players, Barcelona always look that bit more ordinary and predictable when Messi doesn't play. It's just the way it is when you have someone head and shoulders above the rest, it doesn't make you a one man team....

For all their great players, Barcelona always look that bit more ordinary and predictable when Messi doesn't play. It's just the way it is when you have someone head and shoulders above the rest, it doesn't make you a one man team....

I don't think xavi and iniesta look ordinary, ever.

Maybe its because I actually watch football.

Who knows eh

How many assists has Bale got this year? That'll decide whether we are a one man team or not..

If anything we were more of a one man team last year with Adebayor creating and scoring everything.

We rely on him to much but other teams have relied on one player to much as well in recent seasons, arse with van persie last year, manu and city with tevez at times liverpool with Mr cheat.

I think if siggy was to get a whole game in the free role in central midfield he would get a few goals as well because he has a very good shot on him but not bales pace to create the shooting chance. As someone else said we would have to play in a different style without bale in the team and i think we would still get results but not as many points.

What is hurting us this season as our strkers, defoe is and always will be patchy and ade is behaving like a spoilt brat. Im unsure what position dempsey should play, he can not lead the line but he can score goals and does have an impressive work rate, if we took ae out and replaced him with benteke i would be happy or if we could dream and get in someone like dzeko i think we could rely less on bale.

H COVENTRY 3-0 W
A QPR 0-0 D
H UTD 1-1 D
A LEEDS 1-2 L
A NORWICH 1-1 D
A WBA 1-0 W
H Saudi Sportswashing Machine 2-1 W

Are we a one man team? These are our last 7 results. 3 goals scored against Coventry and 2 goals scored against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. In between zero and 1 goals scored per game.

Who played in the 3-0, didn't play in 4 of the middle 5 games and did play in the 2-1?

I say let everyone carry on thinking we are a oe man team, let's the other lads had more freedom on the pitch. Think the Manyoo game was a perfect example, they did their best to stop Bale, leaving space for Lennon (who was MOTM imo). It's great that he's playing so well, and great timing considering our striker problem, I also think having someone like him in the team breeds confidence inte other players and also ups their game.

I said this in another thread, Bale is clearly on a different level compared to the rest of the squad, but other players have got to step it up. He shouldn't have to keep doing the strikers jobs for them.

agree - and largely the midfields creativity too!

Last edited:
H COVENTRY 3-0 W
A QPR 0-0 D
H UTD 1-1 D
A LEEDS 1-2 L
A NORWICH 1-1 D
A WBA 1-0 W
H Saudi Sportswashing Machine 2-1 W

Are we a one man team? These are our last 7 results. 3 goals scored against Coventry and 2 goals scored against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. In between zero and 1 goals scored per game.

Who played in the 3-0, didn't play in 4 of the middle 5 games and did play in the 2-1?

My head hurts.

We have said this a few times over recent seasons but it would be massive to qualify automatically and know from the end of May that we are automatically in the group stages. In theory it could mean 3 months of negotiating deals in the Summer with Cl in the bag and provide much greater attraction to those players that always mess about waiting til August 31st to see if anything better comes their way (because it wouldn't! :))

Not a one man team but as Jurgen said, we're a one man goal threat at the moment. If Bale doesn't score then who's left? Dempsey's chipped in with a few but has hardly been pounding them in, Lennon pops up with one every couple of months, Ade has done nothing all season and it'd be unfair to expect Holtby to pick up the slack considering he's only just joined.

We have said this a few times over recent seasons but it would be massive to qualify automatically and know from the end of May that we are automatically in the group stages. In theory it could mean 3 months of negotiating deals in the Summer with Cl in the bag and provide much greater attraction to those players that always mess about waiting til August 31st to see if anything better comes their way (because it wouldn't! :))

Not sure Daniel would know what to do with the extra time though! :)

Back