• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Are we really a one man team?

Are Spurs really Bale + 10 others?

• Undoubtedly - without Bale we would be mid table at best

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Mmmmm - he is the jewel in a decent group of players most of whom would play in any top 6 side

Votes: 72 79.1%
  • No way - we would still be fourth without our Welsh wizard

Votes: 7 7.7%

• Total voters

Maltese Falcon

Niko Kranjcar
Bale in a class of his own
February 9, 2013
By Kevin Palmer, White Hart Lane

As Bale added two more superb goals to his collection and guided his team into pole position in the race for a top-four finish, the superlatives required to pay tribute to his brilliance were a little thin on the ground. When someone is this good, finding words to do justice to his performance is not easy, yet this is the script Bale scrawls, time and time again.

Oozing with pace, power, clinical finishing and boasting a fear factor that puts him in a class of his own in the Premier League, this was another example of the 23-year-old Welshman coming to the boil in thrilling fashion. Saudi Sportswashing Machine could be forgiven for having no answer to his genius.

From his magnificent fifth-minute free-kick that opened the scoring to his 78th-minute winner that was never in doubt from the moment he raced clear of the Saudi Sportswashing Machine defence, Bale carried a Tottenham team desperately lacking a natural striker to a victory they would not have achieved without their one-man orchestra.

Relying on a solitary player to win you games is hardly a reliable route to long-term success, but when the player in question is playing at the level Bale has risen to, it is natural that Tottenham are relying on him to haul them to glory time and time again.

While head coach Andre Villas-Boas did his best to claim his team were much more than just the Gareth Bale show, he was overwhelmed with questions surrounding his star turn, whose price tag and attractiveness to the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona will have inflated after this latest wonder show.

"We are fortunate to have a player of such a dimension who is helping us to win games," the Spurs boss said. "Gareth is enjoying his football through the middle and he seems to enjoy it more than playing on the left flank, but we know he can play anywhere. There are always going to be questions about whether Tottenham can keep hold of him, but I have answered this many times. He is happy here, he is enjoying his football and we have no need to sell him.

"What I don't want is for this just to be just about Gareth because we win as a team. It was an important victory for us because it puts other teams under pressure and when you consider Saudi Sportswashing Machine's form, it shows what a great, great win this is for us."

Villas-Boas can thank his lucky stars that Bale is producing miracles for him because, without the intervention of his match-winner, the question marks over Tottenham's top-four credentials would have been the primary story emerging from this game.

As it stands, Spurs may well get away with their transfer market prudence as they have a footballer who is a little too good for the rest of the Premier League to handle right now, as Saudi Sportswashing Machine boss Alan Pardew was happy to concede as much.

"Bale is difficult to contain," Pardew said. "We tied him down in certain areas, but his first goal was a great hit and you have to hold your hands up and say the guy is a class act. We are not the first team to have problems with him and we won't be the last, I can assure you.

"The positive from this game is the overall performance of my team and the power we showed for long periods of the game. We felt comfortable until a small mistake handed them the chance to get the second goal. I have no doubt that we will be fine this season with the team we now have."

If Real Madrid and Barcelona were interested in Bale before his recent displays, their eagerness to pay the £50 million it may cost to sign him up will have intensified in recent weeks, yet such an outcome would not only be devastating for Tottenham as the Premier League brand is now also at stake.

While Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo deserve to be recognised as the two best players in the world right now, Bale is not be far behind them in the elite list and if he does join them in Spain next summer, England's top flight will lose the jewel in its crown.

MAN OF THE MATCH: Gareth Bale. The superlatives are running out to illustrate the brilliance of a player who is carrying Tottenham's season on his own. The Welshman is winning Premier League games week after week.

TOTTENHAM VERDICT: A one-man team maybe, but what a man. Robin van Persie's brilliance guided Arsenal into the Champions League last season and Bale is threatening to do the same for Spurs this term.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...is-own?cc=4716

Last edited:
What was the stat I heard the other day?

Something like if we take away Bales goals we would be 12points worse off but take away Van Persies and Utd would be 22 points worse off? Something like that.

If it were that simple Norwich WBA Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Villa would have just stuck three men on him and we would have lost each game.

He is our best player but he's not our only player. Take him out and we still have a decent side.

Oh for the days when Tottenham never won a league match with Bale in the side, life was so much easier!

No we are not
We are a very good TEAM, with a near world class player who is bang in form

But that doesn't make headlines.

One man teams are not 4th, one man teams are 7th, because individuals win you some games but not all games

Did Adrian Durham write that article?

Because you can bet your bottom dollar he will run it as a poll tomorrow night on his show. Even got a dig in last Monday after he scored v WBA. He'll be in overdrive tomorrow

P0169_zps8aae560a.png

It's funny how people are jumping on the bandwagon because he has found abit of form. If it was not for the goal against WBA and 2 against Saudi Sportswashing Machine there would not be this much fuss.

The all lot would look a bit flat without him, thats for sure. Especially at the moment as we dont have strikers.

But all teams have a player above the rest that makes the difference. Bale is far above the rest in our team.

If bale doesnt do it, someone else will ultimately take over and come up with goals and/or the assists. See Utd without RVP for tge last few seasons, liverpool with torres, walcott at arsenal somewhat taking over RVP.

If the press are to be believed, no team is allowed to have a geniunely great player and all players must score equal amounts fir you to be a good team. Its simply unfair on others.

Take the best player/ top scorer from any team and they will struggle.

Ive never heard so much piffle in my life from the press. Remember, we have been fudged over by one man Arsenal for years, imho this is an unconscious play at Arsenal possibly not being in the CL next season.

Not like we were in the days of Gascoigne or Ginola.

I do think we now play tactically in a way that enables Bale more than he's ever been in his career. So to some extent AVB's made Bale the player he is this season.

We'll find out next season anyway, once he goes to Madrid and we bring in Moutinho and Leandro with the cash. It'll be a whole new dynamic/setup/system then.

We've got a very good squad and manager out there. If Bale was out then the team would not centre around him. We'd change tactic. Without Bale, I believe we are a 4th to 5th team in the EPL.

At the moment I'm afraid we are. We are certainly a one man goal threat as things stand.

Still think we'd be knocking around the top 6 without him. Take the best player out of any club side and they would struggle, even Barca.

No we are not the same way Arse werent last season yet the majority were harping on about THEM being a one man team - a tad hypocritical. I dont give a brick about stats - the only stat I care about is Tottenham Hotspur's league position out of the 20 in the Premier League.

There is no such thing as a one man team - without Bale we may not have won as many but if thats the case whats the point of having great players? Whats the point of Manure buying RVP? Or Barca having Messi? or Madrid with Ronaldo? haha. No such thing as one man team as without the other 10 I very much doubt Bale could win the game on his own - for one I very much doubt he would even be able to take kick off.

No we are not the same way Arse werent last season yet the majority were harping on about THEM being a one man team - a tad hypocritical. I dont give a brick about stats - the only stat I care about is Tottenham Hotspur's league position out of the 20 in the Premier League.

There is no such thing as a one man team - without Bale we may not have won as many but if thats the case whats the point of having great players? Whats the point of Manure buying RVP? Or Barca having Messi? or Madrid with Ronaldo? haha. No such thing as one man team as without the other 10 I very much doubt Bale could win the game on his own - for one I very much doubt he would even be able to take kick off.

Indeed.

Back