• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Are we begining to wobble?

True

I guess it actually shows what a good job the previous manager did. And its showing what a good job AVB has done thus far.

The thing is I cant see it changing. We will only buy when selling which means we will still have the same numbers if not quality of squad players which caused this mess int he first place. Our first 11 is super bar a striker but its our squad which wont allow AVB to rotate.

If we do get into CL next season we will HAVE to take both competitions as seriously and AVB wont be able to rest players he has done in EL.

See, I don't even blame Levy. I think we've simply hit an inevitable limit in terms of our homegrown, sustainable funding versus the oil billionaires who will blow us out of the water every time we want someone (see: Hazard and Oscar for just the summer).

Villa fans complain about Lerner even though he's put over 200m of his own money into the club. Liverpool's owners gave 35 million for Carroll and 38 million for Downing + Henderson, then followed that up with another massive pile of money for Brendan Rodgers even though he didn't lose anyone of value, not like AVB. Christ, Tony effing Pulis has spent over a hundred million, comfortably above anything we've been able to do for years. fudging QPR outspend us with ease (though hopefully they'll pay for it this summer).

Joe Lewis isn't going to put money into our squad, I've accepted that. But that also means accepting a very, very hard fight to get into the CL positions every year, and very little room for even minor mistakes or bad luck. Six into four just doesn't go. We can put some faith in our youngsters, but like Villa has shown, you can't even rely on the kids for survival, much less top four.

It's tough and getting tougher every year, and I can't see a way out of it without "external investment" - ie. a sugardaddy. Not when half the clubs in this league have one.

Hmmm, thinking about things more I'm wondering if the timing of thos wobble is actually beter for us than it could have been.

Just going into an international break means that feeling will fester and no doubt the media will have more of a focus on the fight for top plus any expevctation for us to bottle it again, especially with Manure having effectively won the league now.

The constant media laughing at us and our 'bottling it' again might really fire up the club to give Arsenal and their media friends (like Piers Morgan!) a real two-fingered salute. Plus an away game that will certainly not be considered easy may focus and galvansie us.

Perhaps it can be differnet this year? Or can it??

Question:

Are we where we are in the league due to our performances, or despite our performances?

Good question! First response was despite! But then i thought due. I mean
We were winning games we shouldnt be. But then dont your utds and citys have that luck too? I think it be a miracle we get where we are without a lot of striker input. Bale not been doin it for us all year. And defoe had a patch earlier. Thats it!! So in short i think despite

Question:

Are we where we are in the league due to our performances, or despite our performances?

I've been rewatching our earlier games. I would have to say despite :lol:

In fairness though, it's not like teams are missing ten sitters against us every game only for the post/Lloris/the ref to save us. It's more that we've had to claw our way to every point because we don't create enough clearcut chances in open play. We're often saved by a brilliant piece of individual skill or a good setpiece rather than consistently cutting sides apart as a team (our CB is in better scoring form than our strikers...). If you look at opposition forums after our games, outside Villa, Sunderland, and Reading they've tended to think that they played pretty well and were a little unfortunate to lose, without necessarily deserving to win.

For me that actually shows that we have a pretty strong mentality, just a lack of quality. We're not dominating teams and missing a dozen sitters only to get suckerpunched in the last ten minutes like Arse or sometimes Liverpool. We're grinding out goals and when we drop a lead like against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Sunderland, West Ham, West Brom, Man Utd we've kept fighting our way back into the game. This last week has been an exception but I cannot help but feel that fatigue is a big factor in that - not just physical fatigue but mental fatigue - especially considering how much energy a pressing game demands.

We lack sharpness more than desire. If we're going to stop the rot, we need fresh legs and fresh ideas.

Random note - in my rewatches I've noticed Gylfi has actually played quite a few clever passes, even when he was considered really meh. His teammates are not always on the same wavelength though, which hopefully improves in time with familiarity. Gylfi's main issue seems to be that he lacks pace, acceleration, and real aggression - if only the kid had some dynamism in him! He's been rushing around more urgently of late, but I think what would help him is learning how to pace himself - instead of running around a lot at one speed he should move in sudden bursts a la Suarez. The close control needs work before he can thrive in CAM but from a wider position he can develop his ability to find space and read the game quickly. He should also be demanding the ball more, which is a confidence/attitude thing. I think there's substantial room for improvement here with good coaching and more fire in his belly.

I've been rewatching our earlier games. I would have to say despite :lol:

In fairness though, it's not like teams are missing ten sitters against us every game only for the post/Lloris/the ref to save us. It's more that we've had to claw our way to every point because we don't create enough clearcut chances in open play. We're often saved by a brilliant piece of individual skill or a good setpiece rather than consistently cutting sides apart as a team (our CB is in better scoring form than our strikers...). If you look at opposition forums after our games, outside Villa, Sunderland, and Reading they've tended to think that they played pretty well and were a little unfortunate to lose, without necessarily deserving to win.

For me that actually shows that we have a pretty strong mentality, just a lack of quality. We're not dominating teams and missing a dozen sitters only to get suckerpunched in the last ten minutes like Arse or sometimes Liverpool. We're grinding out goals and when we drop a lead like against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Sunderland, West Ham, West Brom, Man Utd we've kept fighting our way back into the game. This last week has been an exception but I cannot help but feel that fatigue is a big factor in that - not just physical fatigue but mental fatigue - especially considering how much energy a pressing game demands.

We lack sharpness more than desire. If we're going to stop the rot, we need fresh legs and fresh ideas.

Random note - in my rewatches I've noticed Gylfi has actually played quite a few clever passes, even when he was considered really meh. His teammates are not always on the same wavelength though, which hopefully improves in time with familiarity. Gylfi's main issue seems to be that he lacks pace, acceleration, and real aggression - if only the kid had some dynamism in him! He's been rushing around more urgently of late, but I think what would help him is learning how to pace himself - instead of running around a lot at one speed he should move in sudden bursts a la Suarez. The close control needs work before he can thrive in CAM but from a wider position he can develop his ability to find space and read the game quickly. He should also be demanding the ball more, which is a confidence/attitude thing. I think there's substantial room for improvement here with good coaching and more fire in his belly.

Psychological...he is actually so much like Jenas in this regard it hurts.

Re: Are we begining to wobble?i

Tottenham Fixtures
Swansea 3
Everton 3
Chelsea 0
Emirates Marketing Project 1
Wigan 3
Southampton 3
Stoke 1
Sunderland 3

Arsenal Fixtures
Reading 3
West Brom 1
Norwich 3
Everton 1
Fulham 3
Man Utd 0
QPR 1
Wigan 3
Saudi Sportswashing Machine 1

-----
Spurs: WWLDWWDW
Arse: WDWDWLDWD

----

Spurs points: 17 - OVR: 71
Arse points: 16 - OVR: 66

----

Easy peasy!!

If only it was but they look reasonable to me based on Sho is playing for what and when but this season is Soo unpredictable

I watched the arse vs Swansea and they were IMO far from convincing against a lacklustre Swansea .

Chelsea blow hot and cold game to game

I was up at 2 am whilst on holiday to check the final score of our game and yeah we lost. Yeah we played brick. But we're we that bad, as we had more shots, possession, corners etc... I have no doubt it wasn't a great performance but the key is turning it around

I'm convinced AVB learns from his mistakes and that's where I put my confidence, in the man in charge.

Based on the season so far I'm far more convinced by him that Webger or fat Spanish waiter

If only it was but they look reasonable to me based on Sho is playing for what and when but this season is Soo unpredictable

I watched the arse vs Swansea and they were IMO far from convincing against a lacklustre Swansea .

Chelsea blow hot and cold game to game

I was up at 2 am whilst on holiday to check the final score of our game and yeah we lost. Yeah we played brick. But we're we that bad, as we had more shots, possession, corners etc... I have no doubt it wasn't a great performance but the key is turning it around

I'm convinced AVB learns from his mistakes and that's where I put my confidence, in the man in charge.

Based on the season so far I'm far more convinced by him that Webger or fat Spanish waiter

it is absolutely where my faith lies.

it is absolutely where my faith lies.

As I said in my half term report - the jury is out on AVB. It is still out.

My major concern at this stage is that he doesnt appear to have learned from his earlier mistakes - two DMs at home, ceding the initiative with his subs, playing players out of position. Also he hasnt managed to galvanise Ade and the early promise he showed in Defoe's early improvement largely seems to have disappeared. No strikers signed in jan, no cover whatsoever for Lennon and him saying he was happy with the squad - and let certain players who could potentially have been useful (Rose, Townsend, Kane )go out on loan.

Improvement still required.

Does the season now end on March 17th?

Steff, your unyielding positivity/blind faith is akin to religious people who are 100% confident that GHod truly exists. That's fine. But your holier than thou attitude is a bit grating sometimes. Can you really blame me for being pessimistic given that I've supported Spurs my entire life and given out recent tendency to collapse?

Question:

Good question and one I've considered all season. I can't think of many games this season where we've walked of the pitch and I've thought we really deserved to win that game, we've rarely dominated for more than 45 minutes. I've seen a lot of average sideways possession football mixed in with genius moments that have probably accounted for an extra 10-15 points this season. We've lacked flair and creativity in the final third but who wouldn't with the loss of both Modric and VdV and we're still far to reliant on counter attacking wing play which makes us predictable and easily countered by teams that understand our current weaknesses.

The league table doesn't lie and come the end of the season wherever we finish will be a good representation of where the club is at, yet I still wish the teams performances were more consistent and the football being played was more clinical.

Good question and one I've considered all season. I can't think of many games this season where we've walked of the pitch and I've thought we really deserved to win that game, we've rarely dominated for more than 45 minutes. I've seen a lot of average sideways possession football mixed in with genius moments that have probably accounted for an extra 10-15 points this season. We've lacked flair and creativity in the final third but who wouldn't with the loss of both Modric and VdV and we're still far to reliant on counter attacking wing play which makes us predictable and easily countered by teams that understand our current weaknesses.

The league table doesn't lie and come the end of the season wherever we finish will be a good representation of where the club is at, yet I still wish the teams performances were more consistent and the football being played was more clinical.

Said this to the wife walking out of the ground last night. Amazing really that upto yesterday we were 3rd really. I thought we played well at to West Ham and obviously at Villa on Boxing Day, other than that couldnt think of many games were I've come away/watched thinking, we played really well today.
A result like yesterday has been on the horizon for a while, Reading at home we got away without playing too well, QPR and Norwich we snatched a point, WBA we were aided by the sending off for sure.

I'm hoping we have got that bad game out of the way now and AVB can get them winning again.

Steff, your unyielding positivity/blind faith is akin to religious people who are 100% confident that GHod truly exists. That's fine. But your holier than thou attitude is a bit grating sometimes. Can you really blame me for being pessimistic given that I've supported Spurs my entire life and given out recent tendency to collapse?

I take it you didn't read the front page blog I posted, originally posted in yesterday's OMT? If you would do me the favor of reading it and then re-reading this post, that'd be grand mate! Cheers...

I take it you didn't read the front page blog I posted, originally posted in yesterday's OMT? If you would do me the favor of reading it and then re-reading this post, that'd be grand mate! Cheers...

I noticed your post after I had written my reply to you. Apologies for that. Fair play to you for changing your stance. I tend to get frustrated whilst watching Spurs, hence why I have chosen to stop posting in the match threads until after the game has finished.

Back