• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

I left the stadium on Saturday completely disillusioned with Levy and with the club. For the first time, I wanted Levy out. What an appointment. I can only figure he's given Conte some assurances on budget.

To get the best available manager in world football is a huge statement. That we have the balls to go for him and he has the balls to come here. I'm thrilled. Only Poch would have made me happier and I'm not sure how much of that is sentiment.

I know we've been down this road before with AVB and Jose but this feels different. This feels like a genuinely top manager, who will take no brick, at the peak of his powers.

Levy, you've pulled me back in you bald, evil little genius.

Very similar to my position and echoes my feelings.
Saturday was the worst I'd felt about Spurs for maybe twenty years. And it's been swung back around.

Oh i certainly agree with that, but he IS a chequebook manager, no question about that. Do we suddenly have a chequebook board (like we assumed was the case two years ago when Jose rocked up)?
I think we spent more than I thought we would given the backdrop of zero income and most on here we're happy with the window Jose had. (He even said it himself). He thought he could work with what we had plus the additions but he couldn't, at some point you do have to consider whether the manager is not doing his job well.

All managers including Conte will have discussed the landscape before signing. Luckily we have someone (who he knows) he can team up with and plan the squad and the ins and outs. They'll be given a budget for wages and transfers, and it's a fair guess that's certainly swung towards what Conte wanted as he would never of come.

Of course, money helps but it's not a silver bullet, OGS could spend forever and never be a success, Arsenal similar. Chelsea wasn't going anywhere with the wrong man (Fat Frank) but rectify that with a great manager. That's what we have to hope for here. We've had one before and there's good reason to think Conte is as well. He has certainly shown it over the years.

Unbelievable! Can’t believe we’ve landed this guy. Anyone else remember he was linked with us way back pre-Poch when he was still at Juve? I’ve been keeping an eye on him since then. His Italy team at 2016 were great to watch, refreshingly “un-Italian” in some ways when they didn’t really have any great attacking players (their no.9 was Southampton’s Graziano Pelle). I honestly think in 42 years following Spurs the best I’ve seen us was in 2016/17 but unfortunately we weren’t quite as good as Conte’s Chelsea (spit). I hope he hasn’t mellowed. Let’s strap ourselves in!

I think we spent more than I thought we would given the backdrop of zero income and most on here we're happy with the window Jose had. (He even said it himself). He thought he could work with what we had plus the additions but he couldn't, at some point you do have to consider whether the manager is not doing his job well.

All managers including Conte will have discussed the landscape before signing. Luckily we have someone (who he knows) he can team up with and plan the squad and the ins and outs. They'll be given a budget for wages and transfers, and it's a fair guess that's certainly swung towards what Conte wanted as he would never of come.

Of course, money helps but it's not a silver bullet, OGS could spend forever and never be a success, Arsenal similar. Chelsea wasn't going anywhere with the wrong man (Fat Frank) but rectify that with a great manager. That's what we have to hope for here. We've had one before and there's good reason to think Conte is as well. He has certainly shown it over the years.

Money and spending is the key that attracts Conte. We aren't talking a Pochettino, Rodgers or Potter here so if we aren't going to up our game in the transfer market to match Conte's ambitions this whole exercise is pointless (as it was with Jose, albiet I think Conte is a better and more modern coach).

I certainly agree that there are points when the manager should be judged on how he is coaching the team etc, but in the case of Conte that usually come AFTER he has had a big budget to spend. See he club stints for examples...

Basically, if we are doing a Jose all over again (i.e. sign up a top-level coach who operates best with some of the biggest budgets in football) and then limp about in the January window and not changing how we operate then it'll end the exact same way and be further proof of trying to show things are different but actually acting no different (e.g. not getting in a number 9 when Kane was injured AND after Jose saying he couldn't operate without one..)

Why do people keep comparing Conte and Mourinho is my question?

Hopefully not in styles, but in Levy. I hope he does what he says he will. Jose wanted Srinka (or whatever his name is) And levy go gets Rondon, who isn't even slightly the same. Levy does that with most managers.
I hope he keeps his word, otherwise Conte is off

Money and spending is the key that attracts Conte. We aren't talking a Pochettino, Rodgers or Potter here so if we aren't going to up our game in the transfer market to match Conte's ambitions this whole exercise is pointless (as it was with Jose, albiet I think Conte is a better and more modern coach).

I certainly agree that there are points when the manager should be judged on how he is coaching the team etc, but in the case of Conte that usually come AFTER he has had a big budget to spend. See he club stints for examples...
I think what you're saying is ......

If you back a man like Conte, success is guaranteed?

According to The Atlantic, his contract extends if we qualify for the CL.

So I think we can safely assume that's now our minimum standard for managers. Qualify or you're out.

It's just an extension. I doubt it's cl dependent. If another club comes in for him i think we'd be able to extend, just as ajax and psg did in the summer. Cl will be the goal ofcourse. I just think this is how contracts will go from now on for managers.

Back