• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

I think it is up to Paratici, not Conte nor Levy, to balance the sales and spend vs the overarching budget set by Levy.
That budget might be a net spend of X and a wages to turnover ratio of Y.

Conte and Para will draw up a list of primary, secondary, tertiary targets and work hard to get what they need at that budget.

Note the transfer fee is not a big deal at all it is the wages which are more concerning, because:
*If we can buy someone for £10m and sell them for £10m that is basically (**see later) zero net spend, so wages are the key spend.
*If we can buy someone for £60m and sell them for £60m that is basically (**see later) zero net spend, so wages are the key spend.
That is why we try not to buy older players.

**I know player costs are not paid in full in year 1 and are amortised over the length of the contract but let's not get into the accounting details, I'm just saying that we can spend £777m on someone as long as we can sell them for £888m the day after. The actual cost of a player is not too important, it is the net cost and the wages which matter. See * and ** I really can't be bothered to get too deep into it.

To add to that, it's an iterative process when trading players and assessing their impact. Ultimately Levy approves the performance expectations for Paratici and Conte and if Conte is just thinking about his 18 month contract, he'd be buying more players hitting the ground running and deinvesting on youth. Of course Paratici will be the check and balance and could work with Conte on a more longer term perspective (buy more youth and train them), or he could work on Levy to manage his expectations around building for the future. How would we know for sure? The only thing I an sure about is Levy likes playing the long game rather than paying for results.

In terms of the financial costs, I've mentioned here before that the cfo needs to be responsible for the results on the pitch as much as Levy. Decisions around Net costs is just hiding behong numbers: I'd like to see my cfo talk about how he recommends short and long term costs support the football results and team development, using net figures as checkpoint to ensure a sustainable strategy. Perhaps this time the cfo acknowledges that the football club enabled the stadium build and its gone too far, and now the stadium needs to achieve a profit ability level as payback to the football club to create a vitreous circle.

I've never been more optimistic now with Para-Conte... They are our best chance of getting Levy and the board educated about footballing matters at the scale that Levy aspires to operate at (arnesen was more about youth development).

But I am aware there are risks along the way...when things go bad will Paratici turn into Paracitey and hand Conte to dry? Will Levy and the board continue to have unrealistic demands on the increasing financial investments required to qualify for Champions League? If so will Conte throw a strop and just quit? (Did Mourinho quit to sign on to Roma within a week? ). Will there be new unsuspecting stadium costs, like the huge overruns, that may threaten the footballing monies and will Levy prioritise the stadium like before?

Its not just Paratici in my opinion. More like thfc has outgrown its small club mentality but still stuck with its founders who struggle to update themselves with new big business (football) ways. So it's Para-Conte vs. Levy & Board now.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

His interview post Everton game outlines his thoughts and clarifies next steps ...
- realises the enormity of the challenge here (smiles and almost looks to the heavens)
- observes many mistakes in the final ball delivery (wingers/midfield? )
- building on stability, hence no change in formation or starting lineup.
- lots of work, players accepting instructions and trying hard (suffering)
- the goal now is to narrow the gap with the top four (is this his assessment of the capabilities of the team now and an indication that we need to buy to do better?)

One thing that struck me about the players we have is that they may not like each other or there is a huge dressing room rift. I mean in playing football one seeks naturally to attack, to try to link up and do something better than the opposition. Currently the players are trying, but they are doing it mostly by themselves not believing in creating more in the group.

The idea of a toxic workplace comes to mind where self survival is everyone's top priority and there is little will to allow for others to get ahead if it means widening a performance or achievement gap, perceived or not. Maybe I'm seeing too much of my own past, and projecting it onto this team. But it's a plausible answer as to why the more notable of this bunch looks so bad together but fly when they are with their fellow compatriots in the national team.

They just don't enjoy playing with each other.

I think this is entirely possible. There’s a lot of history in this squad and almost all of it has seen them not quite get over the line. There’s bound to be some resentment there.

One thing that struck me about the players we have is that they may not like each other or there is a huge dressing room rift. I mean in playing football one seeks naturally to attack, to try to link up and do something better than the opposition. Currently the players are trying, but they are doing it mostly by themselves not believing in creating more in the group.

From the closest knit squad in the league under Poch, to this. It's what 18 months of the most toxic, bullying, divide and rule man in the game gets you. Hopefully its repairable

Weren’t there rumours of a rift in the squad under Poch, didn’t Trippier leave saying as much?

I think this might be the quote you mean: "things happened behind the scenes at Tottenham, which I don’t really want to go into, but I needed to move on from that." (July 2019)

But I think he later then said it was about Poch being lukewarm when he asked about his future at the start of that summer: "I spoke to the manager about his plans and I didn't get a 'yes' and I didn't get a 'no'—so you get the impression. The manager didn't say he wanted to move me on and I tried to speak to the chairman about it. It's not nice when you know the club want to sell you. I heard rumours about them selling me and it's not nice but it happens and it's football. It's disappointing. I gave everything for the club and I wanted to stay." (Sept 2019)

To add to that, it's an iterative process when trading players and assessing their impact. Ultimately Levy approves the performance expectations for Paratici and Conte and if Conte is just thinking about his 18 month contract, he'd be buying more players hitting the ground running and deinvesting on youth. Of course Paratici will be the check and balance and could work with Conte on a more longer term perspective (buy more youth and train them), or he could work on Levy to manage his expectations around building for the future. How would we know for sure? The only thing I an sure about is Levy likes playing the long game rather than paying for results.

In terms of the financial costs, I've mentioned here before that the cfo needs to be responsible for the results on the pitch as much as Levy. Decisions around Net costs is just hiding behong numbers: I'd like to see my cfo talk about how he recommends short and long term costs support the football results and team development, using net figures as checkpoint to ensure a sustainable strategy. Perhaps this time the cfo acknowledges that the football club enabled the stadium build and its gone too far, and now the stadium needs to achieve a profit ability level as payback to the football club to create a vitreous circle.

I've never been more optimistic now with Para-Conte... They are our best chance of getting Levy and the board educated about footballing matters at the scale that Levy aspires to operate at (arnesen was more about youth development).

But I am aware there are risks along the way...when things go bad will Paratici turn into Paracitey and hand Conte to dry? Will Levy and the board continue to have unrealistic demands on the increasing financial investments required to qualify for Champions League? If so will Conte throw a strop and just quit? (Did Mourinho quit to sign on to Roma within a week? ). Will there be new unsuspecting stadium costs, like the huge overruns, that may threaten the footballing monies and will Levy prioritise the stadium like before?

Its not just Paratici in my opinion. More like thfc has outgrown its small club mentality but still stuck with its founders who struggle to update themselves with new big business (football) ways. So it's Para-Conte vs. Levy & Board now.

The pathway and plan is fairly easy to understand in its basic form.

We are only just started (this season from a taps full on viewpoint) with the final act.

We have spent more than I expected since the summer befor Poch left as the stadium gave us next to nothing because of the shut down.

To use divisive language at this point is just looking for negatives based on a belief that a mans nature is set in stone. It's more likely that that part of the project required that kind of behaviour and the next part can allow for a different type of behaviour.

His interview post Everton game outlines his thoughts and clarifies next steps ...
- realises the enormity of the challenge here (smiles and almost looks to the heavens)
- observes many mistakes in the final ball delivery (wingers/midfield? )
- building on stability, hence no change in formation or starting lineup.
- lots of work, players accepting instructions and trying hard (suffering)
- the goal now is to narrow the gap with the top four (is this his assessment of the capabilities of the team now and an indication that we need to buy to do better?)

The idea of a toxic workplace comes to mind where self survival is everyone's top priority and there is little will to allow for others to get ahead if it means widening a performance or achievement gap, perceived or not. Maybe I'm seeing too much of my own past, and projecting it onto this team. But it's a plausible answer as to why the more notable of this bunch looks so bad together but fly when they are with their fellow compatriots in the national team.

They just don't enjoy playing with each other.

I don't really get that impression. They may not be the most tightly knit bunch, but I don't think there's a huge rift either. Maybe some players are more on the outside, but that's a far cry from a rift. I think that Conte can instill a more cohesive team mentality, where the "outsiders" end up being a different group than now (i.e. the ones that don't buy in and work as hard as Conte demands).

Back