• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

I'm sure this isn't a phenomenon limited to spurs. Where people try to convince themseleves and others that something bad is happening. When it isn't.

The end is nigh.

We had 6 days rest from the last game.
That doesn't mean players don't get tired legs towards the end of the game. Both wing backs and Højbjerg were visibly fatigued in the last 15 minutes, and there were several options to replace them, on the bench, non of which were used.

Thanks for reading by post, hope you like all the positivity from
Kandi,
Najaspurs,
Yiddo,
Robbo,
Folkestone Spur,
Jurgen the German,
Greatwhitenorf

Sorry if I missed anyone out but I stop reading after 2 pages.
I'm very negative about about negativity.
Even if we win tomorrow there'll be the usual lists of faults and moans.
Being critical of Conte's refusal to use the subs is not the same as being negative. I was fuming at Conte, and I'm actually still angry, because we lost a game we at least should have drawn, because of what I believe was not changing the wing backs and at least one central midfielder.
I don't blame anyone but Conte for that loss. I don't think we played particularly well, but not that bad either. We only lost because there were tired legs and players on yellow cards that could not go all in. I'm pretty confident we would not have lost if Conte had subbed on some fresh legs.
It's not negativity, it's criticism.

Being critical of Conte's refusal to use the subs is not the same as being negative. I was fuming at Conte, and I'm actually still angry, because we lost a game we at least should have drawn, because of what I believe was not changing the wing backs and at least one central midfielder.
I don't blame anyone but Conte for that loss. I don't think we played particularly well, but not that bad either. We only lost because there were tired legs and players on yellow cards that could not go all in. I'm pretty confident we would not have lost if Conte had subbed on some fresh legs.

I'll offer a counter argument which nobody will agree with.

Subbing son freed them up to attack. It was the last 10 minutes of the game so they might have done it anyway.

I would agree criticism isnt always negative, but the post I read start with "fudge you Conte". I added the list of names simply to question the negativity of my post, I'm probably what many think is a happy Clapper, I go to the games because I like football and Spurs, I like to see a good game and enjoy a win, but accept you cant win all the time and players and managers make mistakes, I just dislike the constant moaning and the blame whenever things dont go the way some think it should.
Spurs are part of my family and I would never slag off any member of my family (I might make an exception for N'dombele) whatever I might think of their behaviour.

I'll offer a counter argument which nobody will agree with.

Subbing son freed them up to attack. It was the last 10 minutes of the game so they might have done it anyway.
I'd say that's an additional argument, not a counter. I can't say for sure that it was pivotal for the game, but often, subbing a forward for a more defensive player, just makes you lose the press from the front, and takes the opponent closer to our goal. It Just shows that the only sub Conte made, was the wrong sub, but he should have made additional subs.

Thought it was the most enjoyable game to watch all season. Conte would have hated it though. Far too open for his liking I'd imagine.

First half was scary bad. I’d have thought Leicester’s xG was higher than pretty much anyone we’ve played against this season.

Reading a bit into this comment I think we may well see more flexibility around formation.
I really wouldn’t read much into that or expect much to change personally. At home to Liverpool last season we had a few players out due to Covid, and he played 3-5-2 and we played the best football we had under him against one of the toughest teams. But after that he reverted back to the usual formation and never revisited it. Really does seem like a last resort he changes to that formation…..

Skipp has not been fit, and Bissouma has not adapted well enough yet to call for a three-man midfield on a regular basis. Surely Conte has seen how we have been overrun at times in the middle, but perhaps this partly explains why he has been calling for patience. He must know we have been lucky at times, including yesterday. For me, Bissouma's contribution against Leicester showed that he is still not quite ready. I don't really know how to explain that - is playing for Conte really that different than playing at Brighton, or is it just a lack of rhythm? He did a few good things on and off the ball in his 20 mins or so, but he also played a lot of easy balls to players, most notably Sessegnon, who were already under pressure or outnumbered at the time of the pass.

I really wouldn’t read much into that or expect much to change personally. At home to Liverpool last season we had a few players out due to Covid, and he played 3-5-2 and we played the best football we had under him against one of the toughest teams. But after that he reverted back to the usual formation and never revisited it. Really does seem like a last resort he changes to that formation…..

Yeah my comment was more in hope than anything else.
This is from an article I posted earlier in this thread.

For their encounters against Real, Conte had switched to a 4-3-3 and, unsurprisingly, Juve produced their best football of the season. Real, never a team to implement a reactive strategy, left gaps defensively that undoubtedly played into Conte’s hands, and yet despite only picking up a point from both games, it gave him another tactical alternative.

But the alternative was put in a drawer and never used again. He reverted to type for the remainder of the season.

That Liverpool game was the best we played last season.

We've not been firing or playing at the level we think we can. Yet unbeaten and joint top of the league.

I think we should keep him.

Without a doubt, can not understand those who are negative about how we are playing (and the players who are playing). Of course we are not the finished articule but it takes time and we going to improve as the players go on.

I think he's got more options this season and will make changes if he thinks it needs doing, I know it's not always pretty but we are watching as fans and he's watching as a manager, two totally differing views.

Back