• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antoine Griezmann

We're £14m in the black from Defoe and Livermore

Say Siggy and Davies are an effective swap

£35m for Griezmann and Schniderlin - paid for by the £14m and £20m from Dembele and Lennon

CB paid for from Rose, BAE and whichever of Daws and Kaboul are let go.

It's manageable anyway. I've thought for a while that Siggy, Dembele and Lennon would be the players to cash in on this summer to raise some decent funds.

I don't think either of those players will leave, to be honest. Dembele's frustrating glimpses of world-class potential will probably prove intriguing enough for Poch to keep him around, and Lennon's both home-grown (English) and home-grown at the club itself (you need at least four of those, if memory serves), making him valuable over and above his work-rate and his seeming contentment with being a rotation option for the club (makes sense, he won't get a bigger one than us coming in for him).

I'd wager we'll see Paulinho moving on, though: for some reason, he seems to have retained his value even after the season he's had. And I think we'll see Sandro going too, although I'd hate for it to happen and would much prefer Capoue being sold instead.

Big outs:

Daws
Rose
Livermore
Siggy
Sandro
Paulinho

Big ins:

Vorm
New CB
Davies
Schneiderlin
Griezmann

This rumor's got me very, very excited, which is usually a prelude to utter disappointment. Still, one can but hope.

Better players have bigger wages to cover, so its not just as simple as totting up the transfer fees.

When you see a few papers running the same story, it does smack of agents work. Either for the selling club or the player. A few quick calls to brief a couple of journalists, to force Monaco, Chelsea or Spurs hand. Spurs would certainly not be releasing this info themselves if we were hunting the kids signature.

Its one of those, we'll keep our hat in, but if we're out bid, we probably won't be breaking the bank for him.

I don't think either of those players will leave, to be honest. Dembele's frustrating glimpses of world-class potential will probably prove intriguing enough for Poch to keep him around, and Lennon's both home-grown (English) and home-grown at the club itself (you need at least four of those, if memory serves), making him valuable over and above his work-rate and his seeming contentment with being a rotation option for the club (makes sense, he won't get a bigger one than us coming in for him).

I'd wager we'll see Paulinho moving on, though: for some reason, he seems to have retained his value even after the season he's had. And I think we'll see Sandro going too, although I'd hate for it to happen and would much prefer Capoue being sold instead.

Big outs:

Daws
Rose
Livermore
Siggy
Sandro
Paulinho

Big ins:

Vorm
New CB
Davies
Schneiderlin
Griezmann

This rumor's got me very, very excited, which is usually a prelude to utter disappointment. Still, one can but hope.

For me there's two things about Dembele and Lennon

1) Neither are compatible with Poch's preferred system. Neither retain the ball or use it quickly and effectively

2) Both have long injury records and problems returning from lay-offs. Poch's football is so incredibly physical its just not going to be for these two.

Sandro (ACL recovery) and Paulinho (no break in 3 years) have reasons to be given another 12 months. Lennon and Dembele have disappointed for too long and look in terminal decline.

They are also the closest we have to like-for-like re Griezmann and Schneiderlin (i.e. wide player and deep sitting ballplayer, cf DM and b2b)

Big outs:

Daws
Rose
Livermore
Siggy
Sandro
Paulinho

Big ins:

Vorm
New CB
Davies
Schneiderlin
Griezmann

I can't see us make such wholesale changes. 3 was Poch's ideal in player turnover. Not sure where this came from but it sounds sensible! We have a lot of new players who Poch can work with. I think we'll only sign 2 or 3 main players. Hopefully a CB and someone like Griezmann. But we have Chadli, Townsend, Lennon, Lamela, Holtby even Dembele all capable of upping their performances and staking a claim out wide. Not to mention Eriksen who most line up on the left.

Not convinced by this rumour personally.

Better players have bigger wages to cover, so its not just as simple as totting up the transfer fees.

When you see a few papers running the same story, it does smack of agents work. Either for the selling club or the player. A few quick calls to brief a couple of journalists, to force Monaco, Chelsea or Spurs hand. Spurs would certainly not be releasing this info themselves if we were hunting the kids signature.

Its one of those, we'll keep our hat in, but if we're out bid, we probably won't be breaking the bank for him.

I have to agree with this, sadly..

I can see. DI Maria going to Monaco for a pay day and a seasons stint.... Then come to England

Arsenal don't need any more wide players
United desperately need some defenders and have more wide players to offload than anyone
Liverpool are actually buying everyone but not paying particularly high wages so that IMO would rule them out
City don't need him although he is better than any of their wide players IMO
No one in Italy has the money
In Spain again it's Barca or Madrid and neither have a need for him
Only curve ball could be PSG....

So were not in a bad position if we genuinely want him (which I really hope) but with a player of his calibre he can bide his time and see what happens

I can't see us make such wholesale changes. 3 was Poch's ideal in player turnover. Not sure where this came from but it sounds sensible! We have a lot of new players who Poch can work with. I think we'll only sign 2 or 3 main players. Hopefully a CB and someone like Griezmann. But we have Chadli, Townsend, Lennon, Lamela, Holtby even Dembele all capable of upping their performances and staking a claim out wide. Not to mention Eriksen who most line up on the left.

Not convinced by this rumour personally.

I agree with you about the wide positions: personally I'd be quite happy to see an attacking midfield three of (left to right) Eriksen-Holtby-Lamela, with Townsend (left) and Lennon (right) being available should we wish to revert to a more traditional 4-4-2 or get dedicated wingers in the wide positions as part of a tactical reshuffle. However, I've watched Griezmann enough to know that he's very, very talented, and if we have a chance to get him, we shouldn't be hesitating, imo. He could be our next big-ticket sale to Madrid for a 100 million quid or so in a few years' time, and I'd wager that given the large Francophone contingent we seem bent on accumulating (Hugo + apparently Schneiderlin + Capoue + now possibly Griezmann) he'd both settle in well and add to the congeniality players like Hugo will possess for the club.

And if you look at it, the players I put forward aren't really wholesale changes in the way that last season's incomings were. Vorm will be a rotation goalkeeper, but will probably do more to streamline our play and regularize our performances than having Brad as our back-up ever did, given Vorm's penchant for playing almost exactly like Lloris does. Schneiderlin is Prem-adjusted, as are both Davies and Vorm, so the tough transition to the PL won't count in their cases. Really, the only players who will shake up our squad in terms of incoming transfers will likely be the new CB (given the apparent paucity of desirable options in England) and Griezmann, should we go down that route. And we've got enough cover in both their positions to afford both a gradual introduction to the Prem, at the same time that most of our squad will be adapting to Poch's new preferences anyway.

The same applies in terms of outgoings. Now, Livermore's already gone, and Siggy is likely almost gone. Paulinho was never really a key cog in either our style of play or our backroom environment, so his departure wouldn't hurt us much. Ditto Rose. And while Daws and Sandro will both take a bit out of the club when they leave (due to their presence in the dressing room and the camaraderie they apparently have with the others), neither could be said to be as integral to our style of play or our club as Bale was. Overall, we won't be overhauling the same way we did last year, imo: certainly not enough to describe the changes as 'wholesale', even if we did bring in five players.

I do agree with that. I would only keep Rose. Sandro would be a loss, but with the amount of CM players we have, his injury record...if the right bid came in, you could let him go :(

Levy will always trade if it looks like a deal. A good deal. We do need to sell/ loan more players than we buy however. I guess we'd have to end up like chelsea and start loaning out promising players more. Townsend has only spent one full season here, but would be destined to be loaned out or sold. Id love to see Chadli shed his introvert style and smash though. But if we can get this kid, of course we will, as it sounds like he'd improve our first team.

For me there's two things about Dembele and Lennon

1) Neither are compatible with Poch's preferred system. Neither retain the ball or use it quickly and effectively

2) Both have long injury records and problems returning from lay-offs. Poch's football is so incredibly physical its just not going to be for these two.

Sandro (ACL recovery) and Paulinho (no break in 3 years) have reasons to be given another 12 months. Lennon and Dembele have disappointed for too long and look in terminal decline.

They are also the closest we have to like-for-like re Griezmann and Schneiderlin (i.e. wide player and deep sitting ballplayer, cf DM and b2b)

That may well be true. However, look at it from Levy's perspective, using a more holistic approach than just analysing their immediate compatibility with Poch's system.

1) Sandro and Paulinho both apparently have high market values: surely far greater values than those that the market's attached to Dembele and Lennon.

2) Both do have injury issues, and it is true that they will probably not be able to play a full season (or even half a season, really) in a high-intensity system: however, the argument goes, that is not the point. Dembele and Lennon, if retained, will be used in a more tactical way, being introduced to change the flow of a game rather than play it through from start to finish. Lennon, for example, is useful tactically because he a) allows us to go with a traditional 4-4-2 should we prefer it, with Townsend on the other wing, and b) his work-rate when covering for Walker is exceptional, allowing us a plug-and-play option to introduce from the bench or from the start if Walker's struggling/predicted to struggle with the opposition's wingers. Dembele's tactical usefulness derives from his attributes: technically and physically, he's a monster, and his queer combination of physicality, dribbling, technical skills and a preference for short passes over shots or long passes makes him perfectly suited to a kind of chimera role: put him anywhere, and he'll have some utility. He'd be useful, for example, against an opponent vulnerable to pressing from the front: put him in the AM slot instead of Eriksen, and you'd have a powerful midfielder harrying the backline and then shielding possession when he acquires it. Against an opponent proficient at pressing our own midfielders but perhaps rather slow to catch up when they're in full flight, Dembele would help retain possession and advance it (dribbling) in a way that perhaps Eriksen, Holtby, or Lamela might not be able to. Similar arguments apply to the DM slot, and even him playing as a winger is possible (powerful, good dribbler, might be like a cutback-friendly version of Jay Rodriguez). Point being, he's adaptable in a way that Paulinho and Sandro aren't, and Lennon is tactically useful in a way that precludes his sale for a low price.

3) While Sandro and Paulinho are both better quality players, they're also more likely to want out next year should they not get sufficient game time, which is highly likely should we pursue a) pursue Schneiderlin (negating Sandro's role), and b) switch to a 4-2-3-1 (negating Paulinho's box-to-box strengths). At that point, Levy will have to sell them for less than he could have gotten this year. He is unlikely to accept that, especially given Lennon's seeming contentedness with life at the club despite his demotion from first-choice to emergency first-teamer at best, and Dembele's probable preference for staying at the club regardless of his playing time (at least for a couple of years) due to his settled life in London, his friendship with Jan and the other Belgians in the clique and the permanent spectre of his reinstatement to a full role in the squad should he only get over his injury troubles. Selling Sandro and Paulinho at the likely height of their market values seems like a decent bet when faced with selling Lennon and Dembele for much lower fees only to have two more gaps to fill in the squad next year when Paulinho and Sandro want out after a season without much game-time (which seems somewhat likely).

I do agree with that. I would only keep Rose. Sandro would be a loss, but with the amount of CM players we have, his injury record...if the right bid came in, you could let him go :(

Levy will always trade if it looks like a deal. A good deal. We do need to sell/ loan more players than we buy however. I guess we'd have to end up like chelsea and start loaning out promising players more. Townsend has only spent one full season here, but would be destined to be loaned out or sold. Id love to see Chadli shed his introvert style and smash though. But if we can get this kid, of course we will, as it sounds like he'd improve our first team.

That's a truth we'll have to accept. Still, in my ideal world, the squad would consist of at least one or two youth-teamers in the first eleven, one or two on the bench and the entire team beyond the starting 11 + 7 subs (save for maybe one or two exceptions) being academy graduates vying for a spot on either the bench or in the team. And the thing is, we're not that far off having that scenario at the moment. Okay, we've got no first-teamers who've come up through our ranks without a lot of loans (Walker comes closest, I suppose), but we'll likely have Townsend on the bench, and we've potentially got five or six players who are certainly good enough to be in the 25 if given the chance (Carroll, Fryers, Kane, Falque, and Ceballos just off the top of my head). And given the improvement we've seen in Kane's game over the last few months (he looked very intelligent against the Sounders, and in my opinion has been developing very well over the course of 2014: well enough, in fact, that I wouldn't mind him being our back-up striker), there's certainly a case to be made for retaining a large contingent of youngsters in the squad beyond the first 18 and letting them use the training and occasional games to grow. I mean, our squad after the window could potentially look like this:

First eleven: Lloris, Walker, New CB, Verts, Davies, Schneiderlin, Sandro ( [-o< ) , Lamela, Eriksen, Griezmann, Soldado

Subs: Vorm, Naughton, Chiriches, Dembele, Holtby, Townsend, Ade

Subs not used: Friedel, Veljkovic, Fryers, Chadli, Carroll, Lennon, Kane

Sure, the first eleven is sparse, but nearly the entire squad outside the matchday 18 is from our academy, and I'd argue that overall, our squad would be about as strong as it is now with all our expensive buys crammed into it. It is achievable to set up a progression system running from the 25 man squad to the bench to the first team now, given the talent available to us. It just requires the trust of the young lads (convincing them to stay and learn, wait for their chance), which in turn requires a resolution from our board and our manager that this window (or perhaps January at the latest) will be the last one where we look outside our academy/loanees for expensive first-eleven players for at least a period of five years. And we do need to do this if we're to have any hope of utilising the talent that our academy is producing: right now we have the likes of Pritchard, Veljkovic, Kane and Carroll available to us, but in the future we'll have the enormously talented teenage players we've apparently transferred in like Yahaya and Azzaoui coming of age, and we must take advantage of their talent if we've managed to develop it sufficiently.

Lol its the same every time, the smaller clubs put their bids in and then the big boys swoop in at the last minute. His release clause is pretty standard, in fact its an absolute bargain for someone of his ability and bigger clubs will definitely be in for him at that price.

It doesn't hurt to try, but anyone here expecting him to arrive really is dreaming....

We're not getting Griezmann...no chance. Calm down all.

Stranger things have happened.

It's not entirely impossible. He's no more highly rated than Lamela was last year. Same things were being said about that deal until it actually started happening.

Stranger things have happened.

It's not entirely impossible. He's no more highly rated than Lamela was last year. Same things were being said about that deal until it actually started happening.

There wasnt any particular interest outside of Italy from him and we had Baldini which helped massively. On average there must be about 5 unrealistic players each window that some suggest are possible, but never ends up happening.

But you are correct, its not impossible....

Vela-Griezman-Graphic1-441x225.gif

never realised Vela did so well

And definitely no chance now that Monaco have now sold James Rodrigues for £60m and have the money to replace him...

Whatever chance we stood against Monaco (as opposed to any other possible suitors) was never a question of money. It would all rest on the possibility that he'd prefer to play in front of proper crowds in a top quality domestic league.

Back