• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Another Tottenham vs Sunderland OMT like.

One of the worst games of the season? I just don't get this? As far as I'm concerned almost the most we can ask for in terms of the coaching staff preparing the team is to get exactly what we got. Playing then off the park. A ridiculous number of shots and possession. When they are sitting that deep clear chances are going to be tough to create so anything after that is down to luck, and not a reasonable expectation.

There were very few chances inside the box, though. And playing against a team that abandoned any hopes of even trying to come remotely close to the half-way line, we still proved quite vulnerable to easy turnovers of possession, mistakes and simple lapses of concentration. Our goal came from a missed clearance from Djilobdji - I suspect if it hadn't, it would have probably come from a long shot instead, because our approach play usually terminated in one of those.

We generally proved the superior team, and I'll take that. But that doesn't really change the fact that this was absolutely not a game I'm going to recall fondly when thinking about great Spurs displays of 'playing teams off the park'.

Well, we got three points. One of the very worst games of the season, but we got three points.

Positives -

- Son did well. Constantly agile, adept and quick, and was probably our MotM today.
- Wanyama showed some chops on the ball that I frankly didn't think he had, including one very good cross-field ball to Walker and several neat turns to escape players closing down.
- Toby, as usual, looked unruffled, even when playing in a somewhat unfamiliar LCB position.
- Walker was our best defender.
- Verts was assured on the left.

Negatives -

- We were wasteful on the ball and when presented with chances. We were also almost made to pay for that wastefulness two or three times.
- Sissoko was a passenger, despite his usefulness in stretching Sunderland's back line.
- Lloris' distribution was *very* bad today. Vorm mentioned that the open hole in the stadium sends crossfield winds into the penalty boxes that make it difficult for GKs, but Pickford didn't seem to have any problems.
- Janssen's late miss (where he sent the ball on a voyage through the solar system when clean through on goal) was Soldado-esque.
- Goddamn it, what, did the Black Plague hit us midway through the match? I hope Dier and Dembele are okay.
Only six games in but if that really was the worst then I'll take it every time.

One thing we never try to do is let teams come onto us. And then exploit the space. Was looking for it today. Instead we'll push high, but won't tend to take up a compact unit ready to pounce on the counter. The few times we got possession while they were attacking we weren't able to counter. More often than not Sunderland attacks broke down with the ball going out of play.

It would be interesting to see if we could find more space by setting up to counter attacks - ie not pressing but being set for defending and breaking.

W
- Lloris' distribution was *very* bad today. Vorm mentioned that the open hole in the stadium sends crossfield winds into the penalty boxes that make it difficult for GKs, but Pickford didn't seem to have any problems.

Pickford's distribution was non-existent - anytime he kicked it long it went straight through to Lloris - no direction at all.

One thing we never try to do is let teams come onto us. And then exploit the space. Was looking for it today. Instead we'll push high, but won't tend to take up a compact unit ready to pounce on the counter. The few times we got possession while they were attacking we weren't able to counter. More often than not Sunderland attacks broke down with the ball going out of play.

It would be interesting to see if we could find more space by setting up to counter attacks - ie not pressing but being set for defending and breaking.

Do you not think after we scored we seemed to be inviting Sunderland to come and press us? We were setup for goal kicks with the ball going short and asking Sunderland to come and get the ball. Then we'd pop 3-4 passes around and through their press and Alli was left unmarked in the centre circle, able to turn and push on. Unfortunately we were a little sloppy and didn't create much from those plays. All, Wanyama & Verthongen were all sloppy on a couple of occasions and we turned the ball over when we ourselves were actually in an excellent position to counter.
Personally I'm not sure about that style of enticing the opposition on - 1 mistake and it could cost you. I would rather be pushed high up the pitch to keep the ball away from our goal.

When its 0-0 I'm not sure how you encourage a team to come on to you who have no intention of leaving their own half - which is exactly how Sunderland setup for 60+ mins.

One of the worst games of the season? I just don't get this? As far as I'm concerned almost the most we can ask for in terms of the coaching staff preparing the team is to get exactly what we got. Playing then off the park. A ridiculous number of shots and possession. When they are sitting that deep clear chances are going to be tough to create so anything after that is down to luck, and not a reasonable expectation.

I would add to that the following...once again we dominated a game despite not having Danny Rose. We rested Eriksen. We rested Lamela. I think when you consider the creativity those three players bring us, we managed to create more than I expected today.

Because without Rose balancing Walker, we lack pace going forwards. It is the one thing I think Poch wants - pace in the middle/inside forward- that he doesn't have until we see what King Kevva can do...

Do you not think after we scored we seemed to be inviting Sunderland to come and press us? We were setup for goal kicks with the ball going short and asking Sunderland to come and get the ball. Then we'd pop 3-4 passes around and through their press and Alli was left unmarked in the centre circle, able to turn and push on. Unfortunately we were a little sloppy and didn't create much from those plays. All, Wanyama & Verthongen were all sloppy on a couple of occasions and we turned the ball over when we ourselves were actually in an excellent position to counter.
Personally I'm not sure about that style of enticing the opposition on - 1 mistake and it could cost you. I would rather be pushed high up the pitch to keep the ball away from our goal.

When its 0-0 I'm not sure how you encourage a team to come on to you who have no intention of leaving their own half - which is exactly how Sunderland setup for 60+ mins.

And this is exactly why we need to score early in these games. Although it appeared we controlled the game i would say we controlled the ball rather than the game.

Agree about the latter stages, they came onto us and we could have picked them off at will with a bit more composure.

We stifle teams by pressing, and it works a treat in general. We haven't conceded a goal from open play in the PL. But at home, if its looking like 0-0, you could forget the press altogether and have players ready to defend deep and counter. Let the opposition build, commit men forwards, and then be ready to spring back when you get possession, and they are out of shape. Its not our way, and our way tends to work, as we tend to score at least one. So I agree not sure its the right thing to do. But a plan B we might try in the future.

Agree about the latter stages, they came onto us and we could have picked them off at will with a bit more composure.

We stifle teams by pressing, and it works a treat in general. We haven't conceded a goal from open play in the PL. But at home, if its looking like 0-0, you could forget the press altogether and have players ready to defend deep and counter. Let the opposition build, commit men forwards, and then be ready to spring back when you get possession, and they are out of shape. Its not our way, and our way tends to work, as we tend to score at least one. So I agree not sure its the right thing to do. But a plan B we might try.

I suppose so - I just don't know how you do it/plan for it. Having said that Emirates Marketing Project under Guardiola seem to be making it look pretty simple while also having a pressing game!

I suppose so - I just don't know how you do it/plan for it. Having said that Emirates Marketing Project under Guardiola seem to be making it look pretty simple while also having a pressing game!

Fergie's united at times, Leicester and Althetico Madrid all masters of sucking teams in, only to nail them on the counter.

But stats show we tend to score at least one, and if we're fresh the press means we're extremely tight at the back too. If it aint broke...

I really miss those games at the Lane where we never got a shot on target and got beat 2-0 by teams in the bottom 6, you could have a good moan after those games, but this winning 1-0 in scrappy games still gives some the opportunity to moan, it's getting more like Woolwich and United every week.

I really miss those games at the Lane where we never got a shot on target and got beat 2-0 by teams in the bottom 6, you could have a good moan after those games, but this winning 1-0 in scrappy games still gives some the opportunity to moan, it's getting more like Woolwich and United every week.

Scary isn't it...

Right now we look like a very efficient outfit and form what I've seen this season one of the only sides who may push Emirates Marketing Project

On and NO goals from open play is brick!!! Must rather we let in a soft goal like they did today

Last edited:
Sorry guys ...when ever, are we going to crack it and become TOP DOGS for once in a while.

There's only so many teams above us and what ever we do we still can not get there.

Anyway;;;;;Come on you Spurs....................

PS..I thought Chadli was good/////and we sold him!
I know, we should have played better, scored more and got the bonus points.....oh

We stifle teams by pressing, and it works a treat in general. We haven't conceded a goal from open play in the PL. But at home, if its looking like 0-0, you could forget the press altogether and have players ready to defend deep and counter. Let the opposition build, commit men forwards, and then be ready to spring back when you get possession, and they are out of shape. Its not our way, and our way tends to work, as we tend to score at least one. So I agree not sure its the right thing to do. But a plan B we might try in the future.

I watched the match today in the upper west with the moany old fudgers!!!

That height up get a great view of our press and it's very very good to see

There were a lot of times where they had the ball near their area and we just harrased their out ball every time. They averaged less than 2 passes a minute.... Less than 2 passes a Minute!!!!

The way the game stretched a bit at the end and with the injuries I thought we could have done with some genuine pace and maybe that will be where NKodou comes in but I think you need to be able to see the game from different angles to fully appreciate it

I'm going to look on the bright side for tonight. At this stage last year, having faced not dissimilar opposition, we were 12th on 6 points, P5 W1 D3 L1 F4 A4.

We should be massively happy at the moment. We're not playing as good as we can, we're wasting chances, we're not fluid and ....

We're deservedly 3rd having played a few tough games and won the ones we should!!!

I watched the match today in the upper west with the moany old fudgeers!!!

That height up get a great view of our press and it's very very good to see

There were a lot of times where they had the ball near their area and we just harrased their out ball every time. They averaged less than 2 passes a minute.... Less than 2 passes a Minute!!!!

The way the game stretched a bit at the end and with the injuries I thought we could have done with some genuine pace and maybe that will be where NKodou comes in but I think you need to be able to see the game from different angles to fully appreciate it

Bloody hell, forgot about him. He is going to have to play well get get past Son at the moment, another very solid game today.

this was a very, very poor game, we've now played two championship teams in a row, crystal palace confirmed the "form" for stoke. Would we have scored without a sunderland mistake ? With Kane out now, we look so limited in the final 3rd, we're not a team who can play a false 9. Sunderland actually had the best chance of the game at the end of the first half. Janssen is toilet on admittedly limited evidence and Son isn't the sort of player than can lead the line, I'm worried what we're going to do against a decent team, Poch is going to earn his keep in the next few weeks.

Back