• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Annus Horribilis 2011/2012 .............................

It's not a matter of us taking someone's place in the competition though,
Chelsea could just be added as an extra team, this is what they would have done if the champions hadn't been from one of the top 3 leagues. It's just about not allowing more than 4 teams from same nation.
If Juventus had won the CL while not qualified through Serie A, they would have been added as champions as Italy "only" have 3 teams in the competition.
It's a nonsense rule that hurt the club involved (us) and the competition (cl).
Would be no problem sending us into the qualification phase of the tournament.

if you win the CL you should get the right to defend it - however as it stands you do not get a specific qualifying spot for achieving that - you get given someone else's - which is unfair.

if you win the CL and finish within your countries domestic CL places then the CL winners qualifying place should go to an extra place in your league. this should happen every year really and then there is no chance of anyone falling foul to the rule

Last edited:
if you win the CL you should get the right to defend it - however as it stands you do not get a specific qualifying spot for achieving that - you get given someone else's - which is unfair.

if you win the CL and finish within your countries domestic CL places then the CL winners qualifying place should go to an extra place in your league. this should happen every year really and then there is no chance of anyone falling foul to the rule

This makes as much sense as giving the europa winners a CL qualifying spot.

Which means it will probably never happen.

Couldn't help but laugh at

Platini: "Tottenham have not been unfairly punished. They know the rules, they should have finished third and not fourth."

it's true :(

He also joked that if Juventus had been in Tottenham's position his view might have been different, saying: "If Juventus was the fourth team of Italy perhaps I will change the rule!"

I know its only a joke, but im offended by that. I dont think he should say that. Even as a joke. He is the president, he shouldnt joke at things like that.

Last edited:
I know its only a joke, but im a offended by that. I dont think he should say that. Even as a joke. He is the president, he shouldnt joke at things like that.

I thinking Levy should ask for a full apology from the fat french twunt. The guy is mocking our situation.

1.03 The UEFA Champions League title-holder is guaranteed a place in the group
stage even if it does not qualify for the competition through its domestic
championship.
a) If the title-holder comes from an association entitled to more than one
place in the UEFA Champions League and qualifies for the UEFA Cup
through its domestic competitions, the lowest-ranked club of the
association’s UEFA Champions League representatives is automatically
transferred to the UEFA Cup
. In this case, the number of places to which
the title-holder's national association is entitled in the UEFA Champions
League and the UEFA Cup does not change.

I know its been posted before, but, he should count himself lucky we didnt challenge that wording. Doesnt actually say Lowest ranked by League position, and as previously posted, we are ranked one place higher than Emirates Marketing Project in the current Uefa Team Ranking 2012

Obviously we wont pursue a lost cause, but would have been funny to see a little panic set in at the thought of Emirates Marketing Project losing out and not us

Platini: "Tottenham have not been unfairly punished. They know the rules, they should have finished third and not fourth."

Thats just it, thats the real cause of our problem. We had third within our grasp and let it go. Imagine if Arsenal had finished fourth? I dont think there would be a single thread or post sympathising with their misfortune. Blame Uefa or whoever else if it makes you feel better but until we realise our own faults we cant know how to do better.

This is not about us missing out on third. That is an entirely different discussion.

This is about a match we had no say in outcome of deciding our champions league fate, and this is the inherent unfairness in the whole situation. Yes the rule was in place before hand, but we have been omitted because the PL has a high UEFA ranking and thus 4 CL spots already. We are being punished for being in a strong league. If they are hell bent on having just 4 English teams then 2 English teams should face each other in a qualifier.

One thing about Levy is that he doesn't like to get fudged over, especially when we are talking about the huge sums of money involved in the CL. If there is any legal loophole then you can be sure he's looking into it. I'm not sure this would do the image of the club any good to pursue it but I don't think this really bothers him that much.

Anyway FFP should probably rule out a few teams from competing anyway, right Mr Platini?

This is not about us missing out on third. That is an entirely different discussion.

This is about a match we had no say in outcome of deciding our champions league fate, and this is the inherent unfairness in the whole situation. Yes the rule was in place before hand, but we have been omitted because the PL has a high UEFA ranking and thus 4 CL spots already. We are being punished for being in a strong league. If they are hell bent on having just 4 English teams then 2 English teams should face each other in a qualifier.

One thing about Levy is that he doesn't like to get fudged over, especially when we are talking about the huge sums of money involved in the CL. If there is any legal loophole then you can be sure he's looking into it. I'm not sure this would do the image of the club any good to pursue it but I don't think this really bothers him that much.

Anyway FFP should probably rule out a few teams from competing anyway, right Mr Platini?

Rule 1/03 (a) Wording open to misinterpretation.... :-k

It's not a matter of us taking someone's place in the competition though,
Chelsea could just be added as an extra team, this is what they would have done if the champions hadn't been from one of the top 3 leagues. It's just about not allowing more than 4 teams from same nation.
If Juventus had won the CL while not qualified through Serie A, they would have been added as champions as Italy "only" have 3 teams in the competition.
It's a nonsense rule that hurt the club involved (us) and the competition (cl).
Would be no problem sending us into the qualification phase of the tournament.

Eh what do you mean. If Juve won it and finished 4th then as Italy only have 3 teams then whoever finished 3rd would be in the Europa League. You dont gain an extra place by it if your country doesnt have 4 nations.

Trouble is that when the rules were made they didnt forsee such a thing but its now happened twice in 7 years.

Billyiddo has the best idea.

Rule 1/03 (a) Wording open to misinterpretation.... :-k

Well I know we're clutching at straws but just for once I like to see lady luck smile at us. If LFC teaches us one thing is that if you whine and moan long enough sometimes it works.

fudge it. It's over I know but the venting helps me.

a fairly ludicrous argument though. someone was always gonna finish 4th in england this season

Eh what do you mean. If Juve won it and finished 4th then as Italy only have 3 teams then whoever finished 3rd would be in the Europa League. You dont gain an extra place by it if your country doesnt have 4 nations.

Trouble is that when the rules were made they didnt forsee such a thing but its now happened twice in 7 years.

wrong. if the 4th italian side napoli i think had won the CL they'd have 4 spots in the CL instead of their current 3. this rule penalises countries with 4 spots already.

WRONG!!

The rule specifically applies ONLY to those teams from the top three ranked domestic leagues (which already have four allocated places in the CL).

If a team from a lesser domestic league (that has three or less allocated CL places) won the CL but finished outside the qualifying positions in their domestic league, then both the CL winners AND the lowest placed qualifier by league position would be entered into the following season's CL.

That's why the rule is so wrong. It specifically punishes the three strongest leagues and makes a mockery of using the coefficient rankings in the first place.

Effectively, in a year when the Premier League has proved itself to be especially strong (when its 6th placed team has won the CL), it has been punished by having one of its qualifying places withdrawn. That's because Chelsea will entered into next season's CL as UEFA's champion and not as one the Premier League's four allotted places.

I dislike Platini as much as anyone but I don't think there's much wrong in what he said. I think he was just trying to be funny to make him seem like a chairman with a great personality but I don't think it's particularly a joke at our expense.

As for the rule it might be a bit flawed and Billyido's idea is certainly the best one. But there's nothing we can do about it now, the rules been there since 2005 and nobodys thought to ask for a different one at any point so all we can do is deal with it and move on.

I recall some people on here talking earlier on in the season about how funny it would be if Chelsea finished 5th, Arsenal finished 4th and we got thrid with Chelsea winning the Champions League. I guess some spoke to soon and now we've got this to deal with!

The way I see it is that we hate Arsenal fans for how egotistical they can be at times and this time some of us did the same!

Back