• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Annus Horribilis 2011/2012 .............................

Would it not have made better sense for the rule to say that of a club wins the CL but finishes outside the qualifying places it has to enter a two-legged play-off against the side finishing in the fourth qualifying place?

Tottenham have been unfairly punished. Missing out on CL to 2 clubs which make a complete mockery of FFP. One of which has just seen a record loss of ?ú200m.

Would it not have made better sense for the rule to say that of a club wins the CL but finishes outside the qualifying places it has to enter a two-legged play-off against the side finishing in the fourth qualifying place?

I think it's perfectly acceptable that the winner should automatically be involved in the competition the following season. The real problem is that teams finishing 2nd to 4th qualify at all.

I think it's perfectly acceptable that the winner should automatically be involved in the competition the following season. The real problem is that teams finishing 2nd to 4th qualify at all.

Exactly its all about money, if only the champions of all the different leagues were allowed to compete Platini would not have a job.

Couldn't help but laugh at

Platini: "Tottenham have not been unfairly punished. They know the rules, they should have finished third and not fourth."

it's true :(

Someone should tell that to Redknapp. He always target top 4, not top 3.

I don't understand why the winners of any tournament should enter the next season's competition automatically. Every tournament should have no connection between each other. They used to have it like that in World Cup but have changed it in recent years due to the poor performance of the defending champions. Only Euro and CL still have such a stupid rule. No team have managed to defend the Euro or CL successfully. So, why insist on giving the defending champions automatic entry to the next season ?

I don't understand why the winners of any tournament should enter the next season's competition automatically. Every tournament should have no connection between each other. They used to have it like that in World Cup but have changed it in recent years due to the poor performance of the defending champions. Only Euro and CL still have such a stupid rule. No team have managed to defend the Euro or CL successfully. So, why insist on giving the defending champions automatic entry to the next season ?

fudging this.

If Chelsea aren't good enough to finish in the top 4 of their own domestic league (top 5 even).. they shouldn't be allowed to "defend" there championship regardless.

Because 99% of the time the winner is a cash-loaded G14 whose absence would result in losses for the competition hence the insurance policy.

Ok if thats the rule and everyone knew about ,let see if Platini implements the financial fair play rule when that kicks in and penalise sides who don't confirm by denying that side a spot in Champs league,everyone knows about that rule for the last few years so it should be the same for that rule.

for sum reason i can't see that happening.....

Part of the ruling should at least contain some sort of financial compensation for the team missing out.
It's estimated we'll lose up to ?ú80million due to this technicality which I can only assume Chelsea will now gain.

fudging this.

If Chelsea aren't good enough to finish in the top 4 of their own domestic league (top 5 even).. they shouldn't be allowed to "defend" there their championship regardless.

Agree entirely.

The two rules I think are ridiculous are:

1) That the CL winner deserves to defend their trophy - tough brick, should've been better in the league. This created the bizarre added importance for Chelsea to win a competition just so that they could qualify for it again next year.

2) That each country can only have 4 representatives. I see no logical reasoning for this.

However, what would be pathetic on our part is to challenge the rules when we knew them all along and had ample opportunity to finish 3rd, but didn't. Our fault, not Bayern's, not Chelsea's, not the FA's, not UEFA's.

Too bad it can't actually happen to Juventus because Italy only have 3 spots and would be allowed a fourth club as title holder. Platini = Danchev

It's a nonsense rule that hurt the club involved (us) and the competition (cl).

lol, yes. tottenham not being in the competition will really hurt it. we're the biggest club in the world, i'm sure the neutrals are upset we're not in just like they would be if barca or milan weren't in it.

lol, yes. tottenham not being in the competition will really hurt it. we're the biggest club in the world, i'm sure the neutrals are upset we're not in just like they would be if barca or milan weren't in it.

Nobody truly neutral would care one bit about who's in it.

Spare a (small) thought for Anderlecht too. Bayern Munich have qualified for entry to next year's CL group stages through their finishing league position. If Bayern had won the CL final they wouldn't have needed the "titleholders spot" in next year's CL and Anderlecht, champions of Belgium, would have had a place in the CL group stages. But Chelsea's victory means that Anderlecht must now negotiate two 2-legged qualifying rounds if they are going to reach the group stage.

i agree completely

true, so it wouldn't hurt the cl as a competition one bit whether we're in it or not

undoubtedly though it would be a better competition with us in it. any reasonable person would have at least inside the best 10 to 15 sides in it. instead our place will be taken by some crappy side like dynamo kiev who will just be making up the numbers for the big boys to thrash

Back