• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

But he's stronger with his left. It's like how I always preferred Bale on the left. I think Townsend would actually score more on the left with drilled shots across goal rather then him cutting in and using his laces.

Yep, but Chadli owns that left side right now, no point moving him to hope Townsend will be useful there.

On a rotation game I wouldn't mind seeing Townsend left and Lamela/Lennon right

I'm really pleased to see Townsend showing what he has to offer in the last couple of games, creating two chances and one goal with his directness and decent pace when in a counter attacking situation - in this situation he is clearly is vastly superior to Lamela and we can see the advantages of the subject I have often spoken off to much derision - the ability of a right sided player to use his right foot in a quality way. Lamela could not have created either of those chances.

In the game against Burnley he was also effective in helping trying to breakdown a defensively set up team, though the comparative merits of each player are somewhat closer in this respect, and indeed Lamela may hold the advantage in that regard.

He should have started today. But I can understand why Poch didnt think a game at home against an opposition sitting back would suit him.

Im glad he pulls out a good game every now and then, depth full of determined footballers is better than those who dont care. just needs to improve his poor first touch, terrible shooting, make his crossing consistent, make himself less predictable and his decision making but he does try and he is from the academy.

I mean their have been far more talented youngsters who didnt make this level so it shows that no matter how limited you are, if you are determined, you can make it, i dont think itll last forever however, i still think his career will go the way of Caulker or Livermore where he'll be at a low prem club and probably end up in the Championship but that would be a succesful career for him.

Im glad he pulls out a good game every now and then, depth full of determined footballers is better than those who dont care. just needs to improve his poor first touch, terrible shooting, make his crossing consistent, make himself less predictable and his decision making but he does try and he is from the academy.

I mean their have been far more talented youngsters who didnt make this level so it shows that no matter how limited you are, if you are determined, you can make it, i dont think itll last forever however, i still think his career will go the way of Caulker or Livermore where he'll be at a low prem club and probably end up in the Championship but that would be a succesful career for him.

Tbf when he is a top tilt he is quick, can go other way, has a good delivery and gets good connection generally.

If poch can improve his work rate going backwards, teach him more about team play and decision making then he has all the tools to be a serious PL player.

The signs are there that he is learning and improving and if he can get his confidence back then he could be an important player over the coming months.

I'm really pleased to see Townsend showing what he has to offer in the last couple of games, creating two chances and one goal with his directness and decent pace when in a counter attacking situation - in this situation he is clearly is vastly superior to Lamela and we can see the advantages of the subject I have often spoken off to much derision - the ability of a right sided player to use his right foot in a quality way. Lamela could not have created either of those chances.

In the game against Burnley he was also effective in helping trying to breakdown a defensively set up team, though the comparative merits of each player are somewhat closer in this respect, and indeed Lamela may hold the advantage in that regard.

The Eriksen goal today came from a cross with Townsend's left foot

He was impactful today, well done to him

Wanting it has never been his problem, a consistent run showing improvement in his game has been beyond him so far.

The Eriksen goal today came from a cross with Townsend's left foot

I'm aware of this - it's the driving forward at speed Lamela is not as capable of - he is overly preoccupied with feeling his foot touch ball and would not have been able to resist some drag backs and step overs.

I'm aware of this - it's the driving forward at speed Lamela is not as capable of - he is overly preoccupied with feeling his foot touch ball and would not have been able to resist some drag backs and step overs.

but he is and he has shown he can. just because he doesnt run at pace everytime he gets the ball doesnt mean he doesnt. it simply isnt his style. he offers something different, why have similar players. variety is good for the team

but he is and he has shown he can. just because he doesnt run at pace everytime he gets the ball doesnt mean he doesnt. it simply isnt his style. he offers something different, why have similar players. variety is good for the team

No, I don't believe Lamela has shown the ability to play well on the counter attack, when speed is essential - Townsend's advantage in pace is more clearly seen with the ball, he is just more likely to kick it and chase after it ala Bale but not as fast or good. Lamela likes to show off his close control and never likes the ball too far from his feet, which would have massively compromised him/the team had he picked up the ball where Townsend did for the second goal. Every touch you take of the ball slows you down.

As I said on the Lamela thread, I don't believe he is a viable option wide on the right - or even the left - he's a back up for Eriksen's position.

I'm still trying to work out whether or not Townsend meant that cut back for Kane or Eriksen. His body language definately says Kane.

I'm still trying to work out whether or not Townsend meant that cut back for Kane or Eriksen. His body language definately says Kane.

Not sure. The BBC replay showed Eriksen fast approaching the D in acres of space and gesticulating for the ball with arms raised. Townsend looks up just before crossing so there's no way he would have missed Eriksen's gesticulations. He places his pass slightly behind Kane who leaves it probably because he's heard a shout from Eriksen at the last moment.

He played it for Eriksen to run onto. If he had played it to Kane he would have played it in to the box for him to run onto. You play the ball to where the player will be if he is moving, as both were.

You'd have to be rather biased and believe Townsend was a truly awful player to believe he would have played the ball to where Kane had run from and over hit it so much.

No, I don't believe Lamela has shown the ability to play well on the counter attack, when speed is essential - Townsend's advantage in pace is more clearly seen with the ball, he is just more likely to kick it and chase after it ala Bale but not as fast or good. Lamela likes to show off his close control and never likes the ball too far from his feet, which would have massively compromised him/the team had he picked up the ball where Townsend did for the second goal. Every touch you take of the ball slows you down.

As I said on the Lamela thread, I don't believe he is a viable option wide on the right - or even the left - he's a back up for Eriksen's position.

Of course he has. But that doesnt constitute who deserves to start anyway otherwise otherwise Lennon would be starting, considering he has a much better control than Townsend and is far better on the counter attack. I think Lamela is fine on the right, its where he has been at his best in his career. before his injury he was looking good. i have no doubt when he is fit he will be back in the team. we need to unlock his potential, thats what he has , that potential, whereas this is the best we'll get from Townsend, good games every now and then against Burnley in the cup.

As i've said he's been batting above his weight for a while and he wouldnt look out of place at a Hull or QPR, which is where he will end up in 2 years max. but hes done alot better then some players who were probably more talented than him, everyone loves a tryer though. especially one from our academy. its why we loved o'hara at the start.

He played it for Eriksen to run onto. If he had played it to Kane he would have played it in to the box for him to run onto. You play the ball to where the player will be if he is moving, as both were.

You'd have to be rather biased and believe Townsend was a truly awful player to believe he would have played the ball to where Kane had run from and over hit it so much.

He doesn't have to be an awful player to play that pass. Judging by his passing performances the last couple of games its what we should expect 3-4 out of ten. Passing IMO just not one of his strengths.

Edit: double quote

He doesn't have to be an awful player to play that pass. Judging by his passing performances the last couple of games its what we should expect 3-4 out of ten. Passing IMO just not one of his strengths.

Edit: double quote

Yeah. Not really out of place considering some of his misplaced passes against Crystal Palace.

But not sure if it was a misplaced pass, or a perfect pass though. His immediate reaction certainly seemed like a "oh balls, I ****ed it up" hands to the head reaction, but I suppose it could also have been a "come on Christian, get it in the onion bag" thing. Seems a bit strange...

Did you watch the game against Palace?

Back