• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Re: Official - Townsend

It was a poor choice of words. Sometimes people just say things without thinking them through, doesn't make it racist. To me it reminds me of this:

QUOTE]

I wonder if Redknapp had been England manager and used exactly the same joke, whether some of the posters on here would have been quite so understanding. There are a couple on here who are defending Hodgson that I am 100% certain would have crucified Redknapp if he had done the identical thing and demanded his head.

As for Hodgson? What he has demonstrated to me in all of this is quite simple. He is either ignorant or stupid to direct such a joke, innocent or not, at a black man. My guess is that he is both.

:lol: The media wouldn't have batted an eyelid, and yes I reckon the reaction on here would have been far different.

It was just an extremely poor choice of words.

:lol: The media wouldn't have batted an eyelid, and yes I reckon the reaction on here would have been far different.

It was just an extremely poor choice of words.

I will forever now associate Roy Hodgson to David Brent. Because someone pointed out to me that is exactly the sort of thing David Brent would have done! Basically you have someone with poor people skills, who has gone on a few management courses and is now a manager hence the long irrelevant speech in the first place!

I do think Roy is a lovely bloke though, and I 100% don't think he was being offensive or deserves to go for it but anyway you look at it....it was a very cringeworthy dumb thing to say.

No, Hoddle expressed his views that disabled people are paying for their crimes committed in a former life - this is fundamentally offensive.

Hodgson expressed no views - he simply made a joke that contained the expression "monkey" in it. It was only found to be racist in anyway by those who spend their lives looking to see racism everywhere.

Andros Townsend was the monkey in the joke, believed to be inferior to the human being, who is represented by the other players, supposedly superior to Townsend, given their higher number of caps.

The punchline of the joke shows that actually, in this instance, it is the monkey who is superior to the human being, and in that game, it was Townsend - the inexperienced rookie - who was superior to the more seasoned professionals.

Surely Smalling has the biggest reason to be offended seeing as he is likened with the astronaut.

It was a poor choice of words. Sometimes people just say things without thinking them through, doesn't make it racist. To me it reminds me of this:

QUOTE]

I wonder if Redknapp had been England manager and used exactly the same joke, whether some of the posters on here would have been quite so understanding. There are a couple on here who are defending Hodgson that I am 100% certain would have crucified Redknapp if he had done the identical thing and demanded his head.

As for Hodgson? What he has demonstrated to me in all of this is quite simple. He is either ignorant or stupid to direct such a joke, innocent or not, at a black man. My guess is that he is both.

He is about as stupid as JD saying 'slave' to a black woman in the scene from Scrubs a view pages back - e.g. not very stupid at all. That scene got the point across perfectly, because it is obviously ridiculous for JD to have been worrying about saying the word, and the black lady obviously was oblivious to there being anything worth bothering about whatsoever.

I am living the dream of every Tottenham fan.. Not only is the present bright, the future is too.." - @andros_townsend

He is about as stupid as JD saying 'slave' to a black woman in the scene from Scrubs a view pages back - e.g. not very stupid at all. That scene got the point across perfectly, because it is obviously ridiculous for JD to have been worrying about saying the word, and the black lady obviously was oblivious to there being anything worth bothering about whatsoever.

What defoe was in scrubs???

Hopefully AVB will not tell them to pass to Townsend tomorrow, because hopefully Lamela is playing instead,

WelcomeToWum.jpg

1035580_300.jpg

WUM%201932%20Guns.jpg

2266362094_c00113dee2.jpg

images

wum.gif

Hopefully AVB will not tell them to pass to Townsend tomorrow, because hopefully Lamela is playing instead,

Thought I heard AVB say on SSN yesterday that Townsend plays v Villa tomorrow. But yeah, hope Lamela gets to play - immediately after AT comes off to a standing ovation having just scored his hat-trick. :-"

This whole thing is a joke. Surely?

He makes a joke that happens to have a monkey in it, it's not racist and it's not offensive, Roy has nothing to apologies for and certainly shouldn't be getting any stick for it. Anyone who thinks it's racist (herbert) need to take a look at themselves as it does a disservice to genuine racism, someone on talk sport said it's similar to fans making monkey noises at black players. One is directed at a player because of his skin colour and designed to offend them, the other is a poor joke. Nowhere near the same thing.

If I was the journo who received the call from whoever it was that was offended I'd have told them to grow up, do some research on proper racism, the real horrible stuff that goes on and then come back if he still genuinely thinks this is a disgrace. Some people need to grow up a bit.

To those of you critisising Roy for saying it to a 'black man', maybe he doesn't consider Townsend to be a 'black man', just a man.

To those of you critisising Roy for saying it to a 'black man', maybe he doesn't consider Townsend to be a 'black man', just a man.

Thats precisely what I tried to say in another post in this thread - but you posted it in a more succinct fashion.

Like I have always said - the people who keep bringing up this topic of racism are the racists - as they see there is a difference between a black person and a white person. I ****in dont, therefore me calling a man a monkey is me calling him a monkey regardless of whether he is white, black or ****in asian. I see the person in front of me as equal to me, I dont see skin colour. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Whoa, that's deep.

So, if instead of saying it he had stopped himself saying something which he would have said to a white player, because the player is black....then that would make him a racist...

TomsMindBlown.gif

Thats precisely what I tried to say in another post in this thread - but you posted it in a more succinct fashion.

Like I have always said - the people who keep bringing up this topic of racism are the racists - as they see there is a difference between a black person and a white person. I ****in dont, therefore me calling a man a monkey is me calling him a monkey regardless of whether he is white, black or ****in asian. I see the person in front of me as equal to me, I dont see skin colour. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Me neither but I got shot down making that point at a staff equalities workshop. Was reminded red is harmless except to a bull. To others it's the connotations of the words we use that matters, regardless of how we intend them. We all understand why we shouldn't use the n-word.

Back