• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Re: Official - Townsend

explain the context of feeding the monkey and giving townsend the ball.

i agree that roy didnt mean it bad, but since you cant see how someone would take offense to it. play it out fo me..how does the conversation go at half time?

It was a poor choice of words. Sometimes people just say things without thinking them through, doesn't make it racist. To me it reminds me of this:

[video=youtube;CBfVAZ6yiLA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBfVAZ6yiLA[/video]

I can imagine a lot of heads down, totally ignorring what Roy has to say until he says "feed the monkey" and points to Andros. Then said whistleblower goes for a p1ss whilst tweeting :D

I'm with AS on this. I'm black and even though I recognise it as a joke and clearly innocent it would still make me slightly uncomfortable as an onlooker.

Maybe you have to be black to fully understand. But the truth is that black people have been called monkeys for so long that it's not easy to completely disassociate even when it is a metaphorical reference.

The truth is that Roy is not a racist. The joke was clearly to deliver a footballing message. It was even complimentary to andros. But that word... I don't know. Maybe if I wasn't black my outlook would be completely different

I think there needs to be a public enquiry.

I can see SpaceMonkeyGate becoming a major election issue. It may even decide the Scottish Independence Referendum.

I don't get this. If I call a white bloke a monkey it's innocent, but if I call a black bloke a monkey it's racist? I called my (white) cousin a monkey plenty, because he looked like one. But if his mother had been black and I called him a monkey it would have been racist? Meh, PC nowadays. And monkeys are smarter than people and sometimes better looking.

BTW, congrats with new contract Andros!

Last edited:

I don't get this. If I call a white bloke a monkey it's innocent, but if I call a black bloke a monkey it's racist? I called my (white) cousin a monkey plenty, because he looked like one. But if his mother had been black and I called him a monkey it would have been racist? Meh, PC nowadays.

I don't think it's PC. The monkey comment has been used against people of African descent for many years and therefore it has a history of being an insult. When used as a term to white people (Mr. G Bale for example) it is not racist. Quite a simple concept really.

I don't get this. If I call a white bloke a monkey it's innocent, but if I call a black bloke a monkey it's racist? I called my (white) cousin a monkey plenty, because he looked like one. But if his mother had been black and I called him a monkey it would have been racist? Meh, PC nowadays.

I'm amazed that some white people still don't seem to quite get this concept. Do you have any idea of the conotation of the word when it comes to blacks and whites? Some black people do look like monkies, just as some white people and some Asian people do. There's a very different historical context though between how the word is associated with each race and not that far in the past either.

Anyway, more importantly, congratulations to Townsend, a well deserved new contract and I'm guessing significant payrise as well!

Hopefully our fans (and the media, who will now be putting a lot of attention on him) won't turn on him when he goes through his first dip of form.

Anyway, more importantly, congratulations to Townsend, a well deserved new contract and I'm guessing significant payrise as well!

Hopefully our fans (and the media, who will now be putting a lot of attention on him) won't turn on him when he goes through his first dip of form.

Agree fully with the first paragraph.

As for the second... I admire your optimism :)

[video=youtube;JrK_HVGOnUo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrK_HVGOnUo[/video]:D

:ross:

I do think there are still some problems with race in this country but this is superb and so true for some people. Can someone show it to Herbert?

:ross:

I do think there are still some problems with race in this country but this is superb and so true for some people. Can someone show it to Herbert?

Absolutely there are but there is a middle-ground which I'd hope was the vast majority.

Some things are also so non-sensical. Situation at work - someone was meant to come in and collect some documents. I asked a colleague what she looked like, and she whispered "she black"... I asked her why she was whispering? I assumed she had some Nigerian blood anyway based on the name so I asked her what her hair was like :D It's bonkers, really is.

Doc Brown is Zadie Smith's (White Teeth) brother btw.

Really surprised to read he's only on £16k a week now (if you believe the Daily Mirror). Been mugged off if that's what he's earning.

If he's not a racist, he's a bit clueless, honestly in this day and age, who would use a monkey in their anecdotes?

To be honest, I'm not surprised with his age/background, just out of touch with modern world.
Ageist!

I'm probably nearer Roy's age than yours but I wouldn't dream of using an anecdote with 'monkey' in it to a mixed race team at work.

This incident reinforces my view of him that he's a bit of a tw@t rather than a racist, although the apartheid thing and the Terry/Rio decision don't help his cause.

What sickens me is the way the FA, press and officialdom have leapt to his defence. Where were they when Hoddle was England manager? His comments were just as dumb but not worse than Roy's.

What sickens me is the way the FA, press and officialdom have leapt to his defence. Where were they when Hoddle was England manager? His comments were just as dumb but not worse than Roy's.

No, Hoddle expressed his views that disabled people are paying for their crimes committed in a former life - this is fundamentally offensive.

Hodgson expressed no views - he simply made a joke that contained the expression "monkey" in it. It was only found to be racist in anyway by those who spend their lives looking to see racism everywhere.

Andros Townsend was the monkey in the joke, believed to be inferior to the human being, who is represented by the other players, supposedly superior to Townsend, given their higher number of caps.

The punchline of the joke shows that actually, in this instance, it is the monkey who is superior to the human being, and in that game, it was Townsend - the inexperienced rookie - who was superior to the more seasoned professionals.

It was a poor choice of words. Sometimes people just say things without thinking them through, doesn't make it racist. To me it reminds me of this:

QUOTE]

I wonder if Redknapp had been England manager and used exactly the same joke, whether some of the posters on here would have been quite so understanding. There are a couple on here who are defending Hodgson that I am 100% certain would have crucified Redknapp if he had done the identical thing and demanded his head.

As for Hodgson? What he has demonstrated to me in all of this is quite simple. He is either ignorant or stupid to direct such a joke, innocent or not, at a black man. My guess is that he is both.

Back