• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

What can AVB do more today? We started really well and gave the game away.

But It was a bit odd to start 442 today. For me its simple, play 442 at home and 451 away! No need to think more!

What can AVB do more today? We started really well and gave the game away.

But It was a bit odd to start 442 today. For me its simple, play 442 at home and 451 away! No need to think more!

Yeah well 451 works when you have someone who can play behind the striker. We dont therefore 442. Not gonna start this again but 442 today worked and pushed Arse back, made them look shakey and if anything it helped us to defend easier.

re 442 - was it 2 up top or more Defoe with Adebayor tucked in behind, like others have asked to see the past couple of weeks ? missed the opening 5 minutes

In the first 41 games he was a manager here he played Modric in his correct position on Five occasions.

And got results, but the past is the past. At the time playing Modric on the left was a good idea. It bedded Modric in nicely and allowed us to keep a tighter central midfield. Bale at the time was regarded as a left back, and not a very good one and Modric was our best option on the left. Got us 4th and Champion's League!

re 442 - was it 2 up top or more Defoe with Adebayor tucked in behind, like others have asked to see the past couple of weeks ? missed the opening 5 minutes

from what i saw i think they took it in turns as to who dropped back in behind the other...thats the way it should be

Feel really sorry for AVB, it seems like he had the team well up for it and the tactics were spot on, we were finding spaces against Arsenal and pushing them back. Absolutely none of this was his fault.

He's really unlucky, because Arsenal were in bad form and just like last year we've probably handed them the season-turning result they needed to go on a good run of form themselves.

He's been left with an unbalanced squad that struggles to get into a flow at home because as Wenger says, we've got 'stronger' players in place of the likes of Modric and Rafa. So it's not clicking. He absolutely needs time to build his squad. And also, the likes of Dempsey and Sig can be much more effective if they have the right players to compliment them. As it is, because of the way the rest of the squad is made out, they are taking the hit in their own performances because we are basing our strengths around other players. If we were trying to play possession football they would look better, but we are trying to sit off a little more and hit teams with pace, which isn't ideal for them.

Hopefully because of how well AVB performaned today though the players confidence in him will grow and his methods may click into place a lot sooner at home.

I feel sorry for AVB not helped by Levy but why are we so bad. I am putting this into context. Im looking at the results today Liverpool beat Wigan, West Brom beat Chelscum, Swansea beat Noocastle away - both teams have inferior players even considering our injuries. So why the fudge are we getting beat against such teams? or am I just being unfair? Im not suggesting that just because those teams beat them means we should beat them but you gotta wonder why.

I feel sorry for AVB not helped by Levy but why are we so bad. I am putting this into context. Im looking at the results today Liverpool beat Wigan, West Brom beat Chelscum, Swansea beat Noocastle away - both teams have inferior players even considering our injuries. So why the fudge are we getting beat against such teams? or am I just being unfair? Im not suggesting that just because those teams beat them means we should beat them but you gotta wonder why.

It happens. We went and beat Man U at Old Trafford with an inferior team. 9/10 Chelsea and Saudi Sportswashing Machine win in those games, but today they didn't. Actually, Saudi Sportswashing Machine have been pretty ordinary this season and it's looking more and more likely that last season was a bit of a fluke.

I feel sorry for AVB based on the squad he's got to work with.

If anyone thinks we're going to be anywhere near top 4 this season they've got another thing coming and I don't think any other manager would get us there.

This squad doesn't suit his style of play and actually it doesn't even suit last season's style of play either. Our team was built around Modric and VDV and we let both go and didn't replace either. Neither did we give the manager anywhere near what he wanted or needed.

OK, so his main targets of Damiao, Willian and Moutinho were hard gets, but there were other players we were strongly linked with that could have done well for us and given him a platform to introduce his preferred style, players like Ramirez, Perreira, Mereiles, Hernanes, Atsu. We were linked to these players through the press guys that are close to AVB, but it didn't seem like we made a serious move for any of them. We only made a half-hearted offer for Willian going by the Shaktar president and only made a real play for Moutinho on the last day of the window.

For AVB to work at Spurs Levy needs to get us x2 new full-backs, another striker at least one wide players and a midfield playmaker. They don't need to be the unrealistic world-stars either, they just need to fit his preferred system better so we're not playing square pegs in round holes every week.

4-4-2 at The Emirates.
Take the lead.
Lose 5-2 and ending the game with 10 men.

scarily the same as last season.

It's time to take pride in our club and really back AVB. Come on you spurs

Yes indeed. Pleased and proud with AVB's formations, his attacking instinct, his confidence after the defeat - sometimes it isn't about the result but the performance.

I really, really want to give AVB more time. I truly do. But there comes a point where you have to be realistic and actually question if someone is good at their job.

He was quite clearly a very good manager at Porto which is what made Chelsea pay £13m for him. He won a treble in Portugal but tbf, he was at the best team there so it wasn't exactly difficult. Yet at Chelsea he completely flopped, dropping their best players and playing lots of people out of position. By the time he was sacked, he had only won 3 of his last 12 games.

When he was appointed as Redknapp's successor, I was prepared to give him a season to prove himself. But as time goes on I struggle to see any positives with him. Aside from the win at Man Utd, what has he done for us this season? We are terrible at home, not great away, and we haven't completely dominated in any game this season.

I want to give him time but I'm finding it hard to come up with reasons to back him.

4-4-2 at The Emirates.
Take the lead.
Lose 5-2 and ending the game with 10 men.

scarily the same as last season.

Different contexts. No similarity other than we went ahead in each game. This 4-4-2 was 4-4-1-1, the movement and interchanges were excellent, we were absolutely bossing the game, disallowed goal, scored, whisker of a post for Lennon, all over them in terms of controlling the game (and remember the players we had out!) and then Ade gets a red card for a rash challenge. Plus AVB tried to re-energise for the second-half. Nah, he was unlucky there, some of the players let him down...one thing, as ever, the support today was fantastic and at 4-1 we really got singing again, to the extent that when Bale scored there seemed a building sense of fear in that brickhole...have today, DELIGHTED to log on and see people generally being POSITIVE!
Brilliant!
Cheered me up...

I have no doubt AVB is a great coach, but a manager?

does it matter? Levy looks like he has gone back to employing head coaches so unless that policy changes, i cant see any reason to question AVB on this

Different contexts. No similarity other than we went ahead in each game. This 4-4-2 was 4-4-1-1, the movement and interchanges were excellent, we were absolutely bossing the game, disallowed goal, scored, whisker of a post for Lennon, all over them in terms of controlling the game (and remember the players we had out!) and then Ade gets a red card for a rash challenge. Plus AVB tried to re-energise for the second-half. Nah, he was unlucky there, some of the players let him down...one thing, as ever, the support today was fantastic and at 4-1 we really got singing again, to the extent that when Bale scored there seemed a building sense of fear in that brickhole...have today, DELIGHTED to log on and see people generally being POSITIVE!
Brilliant!
Cheered me up...

ill be honest I got the noose ready - may as well save time

Sometimes I read this forum and some of the posters on here should have been around in Ancient Roman times. The mob demand AVB to play Lloris, so he plays him. The mob demand AVB to play 2 up front, so he does it. AVB then walks over to acknowledge the fans at the end of the game and some of The mob on here turn on him!!

Priceless!!

Back