• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Is your hatred of him that strong that you refuse to acknowledge what he did at Spurs? Redknapp didn't have Berbatov, he didn't have Keane in his prime either. Jol had Bale, Redknapp got the best out of him.

City took our place in the top 4 in 10/11 so it does make sense. They'd be nowhere near us if they were forced to play by the rules financially.

You could easily say Redknapp managed to get us top 4 with a striker like Crouch (who lets be honest not many rated) whilst Jol had the best striker pairing in the league at that time imo. Also the season we got 4th we didn't even have VDV.

You could easily say Redknapp managed to get us top 4 with a striker like Crouch (who lets be honest not many rated) whilst Jol had the best striker pairing in the league at that time imo. Also the season we got 4th we didn't even have VDV.

You could also just as easily say jol didn't have the quality in midfield or defence that redknapp had. I think they both did great for us but would find it hard to choose one over the other

You could also just as easily say jol didn't have the quality in midfield or defence that redknapp had. I think they both did great for us but would find it hard to choose one over the other

Exactly that's my point. Well tbh Jol did have the quality in defence imo but in midfield he certainly didn't but the point i was making is that they both had a decent squad so we have to judge them based on performance and results imo.

People are confusing quality to entertainment. Jol's 2005/06 team was very well balanced, organised with quality players. It was also a much more rigid system with less flair and fluidity than Redknapp's final Spurs side.

The 2006/07 side was a different proposition. Berbatov was almost the single handed difference that year between 5th and mid-table nothingness. Achieving 5th place with that side was a bigger achievement by Jol than achieving 5th the season before, even though the season before we almost broke top four.

He's got a point to be fair. You're very protective of AVB and clearly don't like it when people praise Redknapp.

Football fans will always compare current players and managers to previous players and managers. That doesn't just go for Redknapp, that includes Jol, Ramos, Santini etc.

Let's be fair, despite Redknapp's faults, he has been our best manager in the premier league era bar none. Until someone betters his achievements, Spurs fans are bound to compare Spurs managers to him.

Martin Jol for me. Had less resources as well.

Martin Jol for me. Had less resources as well.

We were spending a fair bit of money back then, its difficult to tell who had the better team. Jol also had Carrick and had Ledley King a bit more. The front 4 he had was amazing.

I think half of our players only became rated highly after Redknapp started coaching them. Its a difficult call as I thought Jol was great as well. I'd go for Redknapp as he went that little bit further. Jol never really finished above a team who we werent clearly better than. HR beat off Liverpool and Emirates Marketing Project his first full season (when both were expected to finish above us) and then Chelsea last season.

Emirates Marketing Project were spending big then. Transitioning. Liverpool were in decline. Tell me the players you feel Harry turned around? I just don't agree that he's a good coach. I think his strength was mixing players with the right attributes together and ten giving them the freedom to play. Most people say Harry wasn't a hands on coach at all. Sometimes not even attending the training sessions.

Emirates Marketing Project were spending big then. Transitioning. Liverpool were in decline. Tell me the players you feel Harry turned around? I just don't agree that he's a good coach. I think his strength was mixing players with the right attributes together and ten giving them the freedom to play. Most people say Harry wasn't a hands on coach at all. Sometimes not even attending the training sessions.

Bale, Lennon, Huddlestone, Dawson, Modric and BAE all played their best football in a Spurs shirt under Redknapp.

- Modric was virtually a new signing - not sure he had to turn anything around - simply enjoyed having a top player

- Bale was nearly sent to Forest on loan and broke into the team by sheer luck

@optajoe

88% - Tottenham Hotspur have conceded a higher proportion of second half goals than any other Premier League club. Blown.

Sort it out Andre

- Modric was virtually a new signing - not sure he had to turn anything around - simply enjoyed having a top player

Indeed, and it took Redknapp a ling time to accept that modric was wasted on the left, far longer then most fans who could see that.

Emirates Marketing Project were spending big then. Transitioning. Liverpool were in decline

Yes, City were spending big. Exactly. And a Liverpool in decline in a still a different proposition from the Bolton's, Reading's and Blackburn's of the world that Jol finished immediately above. Nothing wrong with that, of course. You can only beat what is put in front of you but Redknapp's Tottenham saw off clubs who had far more clout. And with that, I'm off to the Death Star :)

Last edited:
Bale, Lennon, Huddlestone, Dawson, Modric and BAE all played their best football in a Spurs shirt under Redknapp.

Bale = Of course you're right

Lennon = Not sure tbh. I preferred him as a raw talent if i'm being totally honest as he seemed to be faster and have the beating of his man more regularly.

Huddlestone = Yep agree that he became better under Arry.

Dawson = Not sure tbh. Again i think he looked brilliant in his younger years and performed excellently under Jol.

Modric = Again of course you're right. When ramos deploys him as a defensive midfielder and array comes in and instantly plays him just behind the striker that alone tells you he saw things very differently to the previous manager.

BAE = Yes you're right.

Luka...what a player...

...the fact we never got to see him and Berba together (save for 20 mins at Boro as my memory sort of tells me? I 'think' they were both on the same pitch for the last 20 mins of that game) is a tragedy.

My abiding memory of Jol was him squaring up to W***** at the library...wonderful...

Indeed, and it took Redknapp a ling time to accept that modric was wasted on the left, far longer then most fans who could see that.

Without a doubt - utter waste of a class player although we wasn't playing Bale back then so we struggled for left width

Your failure to credit Redknapp with anything makes it very hard for me to see the point in discussing this with you.

Redknapp has/had many faults but all but the most blinkered should be able to accept that Bale played well very under him and that he had a positive impact on his development.

Back