• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Both Levy and AVB made comment at the start of the season about a longer term project and how it tied in with the new stadium. That's not to say Levy won't lose patience and make a snap decision, but the intent's clearly there.

I hope so because chopping and changing is a recipe for disaster.

Erm... why not focus on the facts today like losses for Cheat$ki, Newcash, Everton, Man Utd?!!

Jesus. The Arse have won 2 in 8.

We are having a bad patch without Dembele and Adebayor and Ekotto, but we will come good.

We are still close to the top 4, even with our poor results

Good point but what I was ultimately getting at is exactly the point you made - injuries etc. Yes we do have injuries but we also have the likes of Bale, Vert and a pair who cost 14m.

I hope so because chopping and changing is a recipe for disaster.

This is the conventional wisdom but I think there is a case, in the modern game, for chopping and changing until you can get a guy who hits the ground running and is clearly exceptional compared to every other manager who always 'needs time' to get it right. I wouldn't say it has got to that stage with AVB but neither I am a fan of time for the sake of time. We need to see something exceptional from AVB over the course of this season. If we don't, then it will probably never happen. How many examples of managers treading water for 2 or 3 years before then turning it around, at the same club? Whereas the guys who hit the ground running actually tend to be the ones who last the longest (Moyes, Wenger and even Redknapp and Jol with us, relatively speaking)

It might not be right but I think it is the way it is the way it is. Things are setup for the guys who can hit the ground running. If not, you lose your best players and end up fighting an uphill battle. So it is no good saying 'time, time, time', you'll just eaten by the guys who don't need that time.

I think we as a fanbase, have to accept that this season is going to be quite up and down at times. Just as I didn't get carried away with us winning 4-5 in a row and at Old Trafford, I am not going to get carried away now.

I hope we have a good run in the 2 cups we are left in and give 4th place a real push. AVB will need another 2-3 windows to bring in the type of players that he wants and that fit with his philosophy so unless we were really struggling, I wouldn't want him to be judged in terms of potentially losing his job until the end of 2013-14 when he will have had 4 windows to get what he wants and 2 seasons to bed everything in. We need another period of stability and AVB has all my backing in terms of making us a success.

I think we as a fanbase, have to accept that this season is going to be quite up and down at times. Just as I didn't get carried away with us winning 4-5 in a row and at Old Trafford, I am not going to get carried away now.

I hope we have a good run in the 2 cups we are left in and give 4th place a real push. AVB will need another 2-3 windows to bring in the type of players that he wants and that fit with his philosophy so unless we were really struggling, I wouldn't want him to be judged in terms of potentially losing his job until the end of 2013-14 when he will have had 4 windows to get what he wants and 2 seasons to bed everything in. We need another period of stability and AVB has all my backing in terms of making us a success.

Accepting it will be difficult and was always gonna be difficult simply because, on the face of it, there was nothin wrong. We go round in circles so won't talk about it as its been done to death but to go from fourth and entertaining football to our current state of transition

Impressed with AVB today

Any other Spurs fans really impressed with AVB today. Sure the result didn't go our way but it seems he's starting to see the way us fans do (Lloris in goal,2 upfront, dempsey on bench)
I also liked the idea of coming out at halftime in attack, okay it didn't help but at 3-1 down and a man down you gotta take some chances.

Overall today sucked, but I was impressed with AVB, he put away all that talk of stubbornness the media loves the hype up. If Ade doesn't go full retread (actually think it was just a product of him trying TOO hard, he really wanted to win this one.) we walk away with a tie at the least.

Also who the hell with replace Ade up front for the next 3 matches (Dempsey lol?) or are we gonna fall back to 1 man upfront. Good goin Levy.

AVB wasn't brought in for instant results. Also I don't think it's making excuses to say we have a far weaker team than last season. That's just the reality of our situation. Harry had a starting XI of genuine CL quality. Take away King, Kaboul, Ekotto, Parker, Modric, and VdV then there's no reason to expect or demand that this team should be challenging the elite.

Agreed, but even with those players missing I'd expect us to be beating Norwich, WBA and Wigan at home. Away those results wouldn't be great either, but nor would they be disasterous. But I'd want home wins against them. Now football doesn't always work that way and it's not uncommon for a good team to lose against a weaker team now and then. But we've had too many poor games against weaker teams so far this season and that is what we need to improve on. Losing away to Emirates Marketing Project and Arsenal is not exactly unexpected and any points accrued in those matches would have merely been bonus anyway as far as I a concerned.

For me we need to improve, and I don't buy the excuse that we are weaker either because of many of the teams we have played poorly against but there are some really encouraging signs and I think AVB has what it takes to at least get us into the top six this year.

Some really deluded people in this thread.

The facts are...

Yes we are weaker than last season (although it didnt have to be that way if AVB had managed to persuade some foreign talent to join rather than good players from small prem teams, something HR was criticised for). But just because we are weaker, it doesnt mean we write off our season. We are still probably in the same position seeing as Arsenal also are weaker and there isnt a squad outside the obvious 4 that is better than ours. Therefore come the end of the season anything outside of the top 5 is failure - it isnt the end of the season yet so its perfectly acceptable to wait and see, but so far we are no on course.

Yes AVB is seen as a longer term project (apparently), but that doesnt mean you have to put up with brick performances week after week. The project is about taking us from consistent 4th/5th to challenging at the very top. The way people are talking here its as if we need to wait 2 years until we can think about getting back to 5th. Any manager brought in for the long term still has to achieve right now to show he is good enough for the long term. If you have a brick manager, the longer you let him run the club the more damage he can do (im not saying AVB is brick btw).

Yes AVB was hired by Levy, but anyone that thinks he cant get sacked this season is a mug. From Xmas onwards Levy will fire him if things get really bad - by this I mean if we lose a load more games, its not possible before xmas as there isnt enough games to lose. Again im not saying this is what will happen, but Levy has proven in the past he acts quick when he thinks things aren't working. Hoddle, Jol and possibly even Ramos were early sackings when a lot of chairmen would have let them have a bit more time. And if he wasn't impressed with what our last 3 managers were doing, why would he be impressed with what AVB is doing if this carries on throughout the season.

Today WAS unlucky for AVB that he lost Adebayor, but it doesn't mean you have to get hammered. Plenty of teams get results with 10 men. It was a chance for him to do something impressive, Arsenal have had their worst start for 31 years so its not like we are playing a top top team. But whereas today you can put the performance down to a bit of bad luck, but to be honest it was just another brick performance to go with many of the others we've put in this season - it cant be down to bad luck every week.

Just because you wanted HR gone, it doesnt mean you have to think AVB is the answer. There is a very blatant correlation between people who hated HR and used every minor fault as a reason to get rid of him, and people who make every little excuse for AVB. Forget the past, lets start talking about what is happening now. So far, really bad performances and a lot of really dodgy results. No point trying to say it any other way. Perfectly acceptable to be saying lets give him more time and see what happens, I wouldnt want to sack AVB anytime soon, but no point in denying the start we have made.

Re: Impressed with AVB today

I thought the second half was promising, but then he says we controlled the game from the first minute to the last. That wasn't the game that I saw.

Today WAS unlucky for AVB that he lost Adebayor, but it doesn't mean you have to get hammered. Plenty of teams get results with 10 men.

I think this is the crux of Spurs in the last 20 years and this brittle mentality needs to be sorted out, no matter who the manager is (only Juande really handled playing with 10 men regularly well...)

MOTD, Harry still says he expects Spursnto finish above Arsenal.
Really wish he'd keep his trap shut on this - putting far too much pressure on us AND motivating the Goons; it's not like he was able to do it himself with a better squad....

Re: Impressed with AVB today

Howard Webb was the only one controlling the game today.

Sadly, old-manure-face had no choice but to issue the red...WE didn't have to capitulate though...
Shame that we let our heads drop too easily in the first half after the red, unlike the second when we at least gave them something to think about...

MOTD, Harry still says he expects Spursnto finish above Arsenal.
Really wish he'd keep his trap shut on this - putting far too much pressure on us AND motivating the Goons; it's not like he was able to do it himself with a better squad....

Why are people suddenly downplaying our squad after what most Spurs fans proclaimed the best transfer window in years?

Back