• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Alex Pritchard

Not to take it off topic but I think Onomah would be best served with a loan. He always looks tidy and strong but needs to get regular minutes so we can see that he has the ability to get goals and assists, if he comes on for us once we're 3 - 0 up with ten minutes minutes to go it's just not the same deal.

Not to take it off topic but I think Onomah would be best served with a loan. He always looks tidy and strong but needs to get regular minutes so we can see that he has the ability to get goals and assists, if he comes on for us once we're 3 - 0 up with ten minutes minutes to go it's just not the same deal.

I think there's a real possibility he will be trusted like some other young players have been. Bringing on a youngster when 3-0 up or in a game that doesn't matter has been the Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project approach to youth "development" and doesn't seem to work. What Pochettino has done with some of our younger players is something quite different.

Based on last season it seems at least somewhat likely that Onomah will have a useful place in the squad next season. If not a loan might be good.

Obviously Poch knows best but imo you'll never get the best out of Onomah in the positions that we've seen him in with the first team so it's no surprise to me to see fans questioning what exactly it is he does. As for Pritchard I think it would be a massive shame as he has done exactly what you'd want a young player going out on loan to do. He's learnt the game in the lower leagues, he's toughened up, improved year on year and arguably he's been the best player in the entire division in each of his loans - ignoring the West Brom farce obviously. So to sell him without giving him a chance at the end of it would be pretty disappointing, it would also somewhat fly in the face of all of this talk that Spurs is the best place for young players to get a chance.

Obviously Poch knows best but imo you'll never get the best out of Onomah in the positions that we've seen him in with the first team so it's no surprise to me to see fans questioning what exactly it is he does. As for Pritchard I think it would be a massive shame as he has done exactly what you'd want a young player going out on loan to do. He's learnt the game in the lower leagues, he's toughened up, improved year on year and arguably he's been the best player in the entire division in each of his loans - ignoring the West Brom farce obviously. So to sell him without giving him a chance at the end of it would be pretty disappointing, it would also somewhat fly in the face of all of this talk that Spurs is the best place for young players to get a chance.

But only if the manager deems you good enough, regardless of who you are.

If Pritchard is sold this summer I imagine it will be to either a PL club or a Championship with a realistic and high chance of promotion. That's not a bad place to end up for a former academy player that didn't make the grade.
If those are our failures, Spurs is still a good place for young players to be.

Part of producing a lot of talented young players is that circumstances like injuries, style of play and competition for places will mean that some of them will fall through the cracks and not get a "fair" chance. If we're never in that situation we're frankly not producing enough good young players. If Pritchard will be one of those, I don't know. I hope he gets a chance with us next season.

Not sure that Onomah has done enough to make a spot his very own. Nor that he and Pritchard are in competition for the same position.

Time , and Poch, will tell.

Just as 7th choice AM, rather than for a fixed position. Poch likes his tight 22-25 man squad, and seems to believe bagginess detracts from the unity.

What is onomah's best position?

Essentially he's a middle third rather than a final third player. He's best when he can get on the ball deep and drive forward or pick passes rather than receiving the ball high up the pitch(and often out wide) like we've seen in the first team, the player he closest resembles is Dembele but obviously he's not at that level yet. I think it would be better for him to spend a year in a team with a manager that trusts him that position rather than the odd cameo out wide like he'll most likely get with us if he stays at the club next season.

Essentially he's a middle third rather than a final third player. He's best when he can get on the ball deep and drive forward or pick passes rather than receiving the ball high up the pitch(and often out wide) like we've seen in the first team, the player he closest resembles is Dembele but obviously he's not at that level yet. I think it would be better for him to spend a year in a team with a manager that trusts him that position rather than the odd cameo out wide like he'll most likely get with us if he stays at the club next season.
How is he on the defensive side of things would you say?

Isn't it way too early to be making conclusions about which role or position will best suit him in the future? Dembele, the player you say he resembles the most was not seen as a "middle third" player at that age I think.

Seems to me a fairly natural progression if he does end up being one of our deep midfielders. 18-19 years old very few players slot straight into a role like that. He's getting some game time and he improved considerably from that game time last season. There won't be a lot of PL teams willing to trust a player that young with regular football in a deep midfield position on loan I think.

How is he on the defensive side of things would you say?

He works a lot harder off the ball now than he did before Poch integrated him into the first team but things like reading of the game, awareness, anticipation etc that you need as a CM in a 2 are parts of the game he needs to work on if he's to play there, it's why Poch plays him further forward but at the same time you lose what he's good at with the ball at his feet. Onomah grew up playing as a CM in a 433 but since Pochettino came in we play 4231 across the board and it's often resulted in him being the one to play further up the pitch.

Isn't it way too early to be making conclusions about which role or position will best suit him in the future? Dembele, the player you say he resembles the most was not seen as a "middle third" player at that age I think.

Seems to me a fairly natural progression if he does end up being one of our deep midfielders. 18-19 years old very few players slot straight into a role like that. He's getting some game time and he improved considerably from that game time last season. There won't be a lot of PL teams willing to trust a player that young with regular football in a deep midfield position on loan I think.

I think some players are more easily defined than others, even from a young age. I've not seen anything in Onomah's game either at age 15 or 19 as he is now that says to me he can become an effective final third player at a high level, maybe he'll prove me wrong but as long as he keeps playing there I don't expect fans to be wowed by him. As I said above I completely get why Poch is using him there but next season if it was a choice between he and Pritchard for one of those attacking positions I'd certainly choose the latter.

Just as 7th choice AM, rather than for a fixed position. Poch likes his tight 22-25 man squad, and seems to believe bagginess detracts from the unity.
Isn't it rather difficult to have anything other than a squad of that size seeing as you can only name a maximum of 25 players in the first place* (* + players aged under 21)

Agreed. I also eventually see him playing in Demeble's position. Everything I have seen of Onomah so far shows me that he is a very, VERY good player. The only question mark I have about him is his desire on the pitch. He seems to coast through games a little bit instead of really always wanting to get on the ball and wanting to make something happen (and that applies to the age-group games I have seen him in as well as the first team games).

I think some players are more easily defined than others, even from a young age. I've not seen anything in Onomah's game either at age 15 or 19 as he is now that says to me he can become an effective final third player at a high level, maybe he'll prove me wrong but as long as he keeps playing there I don't expect fans to be wowed by him. As I said above I completely get why Poch is using him there but next season if it was a choice between he and Pritchard for one of those attacking positions I'd certainly choose the latter.
Again I am with you here.... For me it is primarily about a player's first intention as he is receiving the ball and also whether or not the player plays the game on the 'half turn'..... Pritchard is similar to Alli and Eriksen in that when getting the ball his first intention is never to slow the game down.... He wants to make something happen, either a quick give and go, or to immediately run towards the opposition's goal with the ball at his feet. Onomah does not have this aspect to his play (just as Dembele doesn't and neither does Bentaleb). Onomah instead wants to feel the ball at his feet for longer, is a player that naturally slows the game down and looks to find a pass to one of the half turn players ahead of him. Onomah can be a tidy player when playing as one of the 3, but not really any more than that. However he could become a Pogba type player in the deeper position as he has the physical attributes, football brain, touch and vision to play there.

Isn't it rather difficult to have anything other than a squad of that size seeing as you can only name a maximum of 25 players in the first place* (* + players aged under 21)

Redknapp and AVB both kept squads of about 36-38. Admittedly a chunk of those were loaned, but they both hoarded players, IMO to the detriment of team spirit and the wage bill.

Again I am with you here.... For me it is primarily about a player's first intention as he is receiving the ball and also whether or not the player plays the game on the 'half turn'..... Pritchard is similar to Alli and Eriksen in that when getting the ball his first intention is never to slow the game down.... He wants to make something happen, either a quick give and go, or to immediately run towards the opposition's goal with the ball at his feet. Onomah does not have this aspect to his play (just as Dembele doesn't and neither does Bentaleb). Onomah instead wants to feel the ball at his feet for longer, is a player that naturally slows the game down and looks to find a pass to one of the half turn players ahead of him. Onomah can be a tidy player when playing as one of the 3, but not really any more than that. However he could become a Pogba type player in the deeper position as he has the physical attributes, football brain, touch and vision to play there.

And speaking of players who play on the half turn and whose first intention is to run at the opposition and make something happen .. it won't be long until Marcus Edwards is knocking on the door of the first team squad, assuming he signs a new contract. He's one who really is suited to the positions Onomah is being used in. I think the best move for Josh would be for us to find him a Championship or perhaps even an overseas loan to a team that plays good football with a manager willing to take a risk on a young player and trust them - so basically the total opposite of where we sent Pritchard.

And speaking of players who play on the half turn and whose first intention is to run at the opposition and make something happen .. it won't be long until Marcus Edwards is knocking on the door of the first team squad, assuming he signs a new contract. He's one who really is suited to the positions Onomah is being used in. I think the best move for Josh would be for us to find him a Championship or perhaps even an overseas loan to a team that plays good football with a manager willing to take a risk on a young player and trust them - so basically the total opposite of where we sent Pritchard.
I would advocate Coventry as a great club to loan our young players to, Tony Mowbray sets them up to play good football and they have a good mix of young and experienced players. I also like the relationship that we seem to have established with Glasgow Rangers. Warburton sets his teams up to play in the right way and our players would get experience of tough, fast paced football played in front of big crowds.

Back