• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Aaron Lennon

I just don't get why he does not start more 1-2s. Run with the ball, lay it off, keep running and take the return pass. He should model himself on some of the smaller fast technical players. I think he could play a game more like David Silva, rather than only rely on his wing play. But he need to feel comfortable in possession and then dictate the play. At the moment, once Lennon's passed the ball, he rarely shows for it again. Instead he needs to drive, pass, collect, pass or shoot. If he could add that to his game, he would take a big step.

Because he is now a very bad version of a penguin!!! He has been invisible in a lot if games this season and his pace which normally is effective to a point is offering nothing. Sterling showed today how to play Lennon his role and if he has to learn of a relative novice then he really isn't gonna get any better

fair enough, I personally couldn't disagree more, Townsend is our Walcott IMO

Oh if only he was our Walcott!

Townsend must start over Lennon till the end of the season for me. He has got his England squad place to play for so shouldn't need much motivation.

Townsend must start over Lennon till the end of the season for me. He has got his England squad place to play for so shouldn't need much motivation.

Dear GHod, have you seen anything from either Lennon or Townsend recently to justify a start anytime soon?

Much rather an additional midfielder or attacker instead

Dear GHod, have you seen anything from either Lennon or Townsend recently to justify a start anytime soon?

Much rather an additional midfielder or attacker instead

Not much, but Townsend is still coming back from a lengthy injury, so I am giving him some leeway. I would play Ade and Solly up top, Eriksen floating from left and two CMs. That leaves someone needing to provide width in the right. In lamelas continuing absence, Townsend has more to play for than Lennon in the classic wonky.

Townsend is shockingly out of form, plus it looks like he darent run at full speed because he fears pulling a hammy again

I got an idea.

So everyone on here raves about the defensive work that Lennon does. How it's unfair to compare him to Walcott because Walcott plays as a wide forward whereas Lennon tracks back and protects his full-back.

Yet, Lennon has also completely disappeared from an attacking perspective this season. He's been devastating for us in the past, but whether it's because of a loss of confidence, fitness or whatever, he's not performing anymore. 9 years after breaking into the first team, he still can't cross the ball.

We also have a highly promising young winger that needs playing time to regain confidence, form and fitness in Townsend. He can't get into the side if Lennon is playing there. Our main right-back is injured, so instead we have a guy who is clearly no-where near good enough starting games for us...

So, why not play Lennon at RB? He could get forward and overlap and would have a bit more space to run into at pace. It gets Townsend into the starting XI, gets Naughton out, allows Lennon to focus on what he's good at. We've seen players like Ashley Cole, Cafu and Dani Alves move into defence and flourish, so why not give it a try with Lennon in these final few games we have left of the season? The worst that can happen is it doesn't work, which is the same as playing Naughton.

I got an idea.

So everyone on here raves about the defensive work that Lennon does. How it's unfair to compare him to Walcott because Walcott plays as a wide forward whereas Lennon tracks back and protects his full-back.

Yet, Lennon has also completely disappeared from an attacking perspective this season. He's been devastating for us in the past, but whether it's because of a loss of confidence, fitness or whatever, he's not performing anymore. 9 years after breaking into the first team, he still can't cross the ball.

We also have a highly promising young winger that needs playing time to regain confidence, form and fitness in Townsend. He can't get into the side if Lennon is playing there. Our main right-back is injured, so instead we have a guy who is clearly no-where near good enough starting games for us...

So, why not play Lennon at RB? He could get forward and overlap and would have a bit more space to run into at pace. It gets Townsend into the starting XI, gets Naughton out, allows Lennon to focus on what he's good at. We've seen players like Ashley Cole, Cafu and Dani Alves move into defence and flourish, so why not give it a try with Lennon in these final few games we have left of the season? The worst that can happen is it doesn't work, which is the same as playing Naughton.

Why settle for one Danny Rose when you can have two.

Bad idea IMO. Rose is a converted winger and it shows that he really hasn't learned the art of being a fullback. I think we'd just end up replicating this problem on the other flank with Lennon.

Last edited:
Maybe Lennon and Townsend are both playing within themselves because they think they could be in with a sort of last-man-standing chance to get into Hodgson's squad.

Why settle for one Danny Rose when you can have two.

Bad idea IMO. Rose is a converted winger and it shows that he really hasn't learned the art of being a fullback. I think we'd just end up replicating this problem on the other flank with Lennon.

The difference between the two is that Rose was moved to LB because he wasn't good enough to play LW. Lennon has actually demonstrated good defensive and positional qualities in the past.

Maybe Lennon and Townsend are both playing within themselves because they think they could be in with a sort of last-man-standing chance to get into Hodgson's squad.

Surely they should be playing as good as they possibly can, Ive said this a few times before with injuries this season and a world cup in Brazil looming, any English player should be giving their absolute all to try and be on that plane, a world cup in Brazil would have to be the pinnacle of any players career and Lennon is too thick to even realise that

full back isn't a runners up prize for wingers who are too shiit to get in the side anymore! its an important position that requires its own skill set.

Lennon at right back? right backs have to compete in the air at the back post. no thanks.

Ashley Cole - 5ft9
Patrice Evra - 5ft9
Cafu - 5ft9
Dani Alves - 5ft8
Marcelo - 5ft7
Leighton Baines - 5ft7
Phillip Lahm - 5ft7
Jordi Alba - 5ft7
Roberto Carlos - 5ft6

#manmountains

Speaking the day before the trip to Chelsea, the head coach said: “Until you’re in the job as a manager, you don’t appreciate Aaron Lennon.

“What he does out of possession probably makes him the best defensive player we have got on the pitch. He is so diligent. He recognises when to thicken up and when to put pressure on.

“We have seen in transition how he gets you on the edge of your seat. Aaron knows full well he wants to have more end product – maybe a different area of the field might benefit him.

“But I’m certain that when you need to rely on someone, he’s on your teamsheet. He gives 100 per cent in every game and leaves nothing on the pitch.

“He is such a physical specimen. For a small lad, his high-intensity runs, he gets back in, his desire – when you’re asking him to do all that, to then start saying ‘we want 20 goals or 15 assists’, it’s a bit much.

“There is a balance, but when you’re looking for reliability he’s on your teamsheet.”

Ashley Cole - 5ft9
Patrice Evra - 5ft9
Cafu - 5ft9
Dani Alves - 5ft8
Marcelo - 5ft7
Leighton Baines - 5ft7
Phillip Lahm - 5ft7
Jordi Alba - 5ft7
Roberto Carlos - 5ft6

#manmountains

you've just listed some of the most intelligent players who have played full back in the past 20 years there. And lennon is smaller than all of them. and a worse footballer with less footballing intelligence.

if you think a player like phillip lahm, who is currently captaining possibly the best club side of the last 10 years, whilst playing from defensive midfield, is an apt comparison for aaron lennon, then fair play to you. why not try lennon in goal - he'd be quick coming off his line.

The difference between the two is that Rose was moved to LB because he wasn't good enough to play LW. Lennon has actually demonstrated good defensive and positional qualities in the past.

Is this not what Lennon would be doing too?

Yes Lennon has put in some good defensive shifts in the past but tracking runs as a midfielder is not the same as playing as a FB. The back line should play as a unit (yeah yeah we're ****e at that) and this is something that should be instinctive to a FB who has trained there over an extended period. There is way more to it than just being able to run back fast. Offside game, covering the CB's, headed clearances. Nah.

I know it is en vogue to Lennon bash at the moment but it's my own opinion that his defensive qualities are well overstated. Even in that Liverpool match there were numerous occasions where he lost the ball or misplaced a pass, and he just stood there with a scowl on his face for 3-4 seconds before walking back towards his own half. Barca employ the five second rule to regain possession when they loose it. It's in those initial few seconds when you loose the ball is best time to win it back. Being a Barca disciple you can see Rodger's Liverpool use this to great effect.

Lennon's effectiveness should be going forward, playing to his strengths, but he's lost the spark for whatever reason. I wouldn't put him anywhere on the pitch at the moment and least of all in the defence. That's ****ed enough as it is.

Last edited:
Back