• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Aaron Lennon

He's had decent spells, he looks best in a counter attacking team with space to run into, however his final ball is lacking and his goal threat is generally non-existent. He would be a good squad player, in a mid-table side. For a side with top four ambitions we need a first choice right winger who will win us games from time to time, and a backup who will make an instant impact off the bench.

Redknapp got no more out of him then avb or any coach previous in effective contributions.

I could be wrong, but I think Lennon was a key player in HRs team and we were generally pleased with him. He needed to push on more, score more. But maybe as he was younger fans had more patience. Its clear we've tried to get in various players to play in his position. And we now have Lamela, Chadli, Townsend who can all play on the right. Even Dembele can play there. I do think our wide play is generally lacking. We don't see passing triangles and movement into space and we don't create enough openings down the flanks. But we do seem to create more on the right wing than the left. Probably because we don't play a winger on the left.

Who would you play at the moment on the right instead of Lennon?

He's had decent spells, he looks best in a counter attacking team with space to run into, however his final ball is lacking and his goal threat is generally non-existent. He would be a good squad player, in a mid-table side. For a side with top four ambitions we need a first choice right winger who will win us games from time to time, and a backup who will make an instant impact off the bench.

Redknapp got no more out of him then avb or any coach previous in effective contributions.

Agreed. Basically a winger who can't shoot, and can't cross. One on one with the keeper - which he never is - forget about it. Has to be doing more than 'helps out at the back'. He should be doing that anyway. A teenager showing potential maybe deserves more 'chances'. But he's had plenty of chances with different managers. In the league as long as he has, you need to produce. Output. End product. Goals. Assists. Free kicks. Penalties. End of. Otherwise you are a passenger, which he is. He had speed, when he showed it, but that's slowing down too, which of course it would. Other things then have to kick in to compensate, which he doesn't have. We work it out wide across their back 4, he gets it, and then gives it back and passes it 5 yards sideways or backwards. Not reliable or consistent and not sure what he brings to the dance at this point. Prolly on the downside of a hill that never was very high, and we need better especially if want top 4.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;JUfCF2bV-_4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JUfCF2bV-_4[/video]

lennon should be capable of doing something like this - ah! the unrealized potential.....

I could be wrong, but I think Lennon was a key player in HRs team and we were generally pleased with him. He needed to push on more, score more. But maybe as he was younger fans had more patience. Its clear we've tried to get in various players to play in his position. And we now have Lamela, Chadli, Townsend who can all play on the right. Even Dembele can play there. I do think our wide play is generally lacking. We don't see passing triangles and movement into space and we don't create enough openings down the flanks. But we do seem to create more on the right wing than the left. Probably because we don't play a winger on the left.

Who would you play at the moment on the right instead of Lennon?

No one .. and that's a team issue

Lamela is the obvious candidate, Townsend I think is as badly out of form and imo has less potential, Dembele, no comment.

Harry got the most out of him, because we had a system (get the ball to Modric/VDV -> Bale/Lennon, stretch the opposition, use the FB's as overlap option, get the cross/cutback into box), and got the ball to wide players fast enough that they were able to isolate the FBs they were playing against.

And the bull**** about Lennon not being able to cross, ffs, can we look at our own players and not listen to pundits who never even watch a game and spout some **** about a player that they thought was true 7 years ago. Lennon can play an attacking cross, he can float the ball to the back post, he can play a decent cutback (JD in form used to profit from that) and he actually very rarely hits a very bad/row Z type cross.

Get a manager who has a system, who can actually coach, give instructions and you will see Lennon play well.

Agreed. Lennon's default cross seems to be the "dolly drop" or, as Andy Townsend would probably describe it: stand it up there for the fella on the back post.

It gives the defence a chance to defend against it - it's a bit like a basketball rebound - but the good thing is it usually beats the first player, cf. Chadli's second goal away to Benfica.

Have always had time for Aaron he was a key player when we had bale on the left because both provided natural width.

For me AVB coached that natural width out of him by getting him to cut in all the time. He does work hard defensively but does that say more about how dodgy out RBs have been. Corluka and him were great together as Charlie allowed Lennie to get forward.

What I would love to see come Back is that directness he used to have that Andros has bags of. If also free him more it be more attacking.

He is a good player if played in the right way, but you could say that about most players lol

Its as if Lennon is some teenage prospect. Don't know if its his small stature or what, but the guy is almost 27 years old. I imagine he's really good on the practice field and training ground. Not sure its bad systems/managers/players around him. He's prolly been used wrong at times, as have other players. Two managers down the road, some will still be blaming the system/manager (assuming he's still here). Bottom line is, he needs to produce regardless, and everything will be fine. Pursuant to top 4, that's really all that matters. Right now, not sure he's a starter, or an impact sub. If they keep him another year then ok, but reckon they are watching him close and he may be running out of chances. Doubt that Sherwood can bring out his best, LVG may be better, but at this point don't think he's good enough player to build a team/system around.

Last edited:
No one .. and that's a team issue

Lamela is the obvious candidate, Townsend I think is as badly out of form and imo has less potential, Dembele, no comment.

Harry got the most out of him, because we had a system (get the ball to Modric/VDV -> Bale/Lennon, stretch the opposition, use the FB's as overlap option, get the cross/cutback into box), and got the ball to wide players fast enough that they were able to isolate the FBs they were playing against.

And the bull**** about Lennon not being able to cross, ffs, can we look at our own players and not listen to pundits who never even watch a game and spout some **** about a player that they thought was true 7 years ago. Lennon can play an attacking cross, he can float the ball to the back post, he can play a decent cutback (JD in form used to profit from that) and he actually very rarely hits a very bad/row Z type cross.

Get a manager who has a system, who can actually coach, give instructions and you will see Lennon play well.

problem is the majority of the time he picks the wrong option ie floated to the back post when a cut back would have created the better chance on goal or vice versa etc.............also, this is a criticism aimed at all our attackers and not just Lennon, but ive noticed that the top teams train their players to mostly cut the ball back to the penalty spot, whether on the floor or in the air, when any of their players in a wide position/from the sides head towards the byline. The ball is played back for a teammate onrushing to have an attempt at goal. Heck, even Sturridge used this trick at the weekend with that unbelievable back heel pass towards the pen spot for Suarez to smash home. Telepathy or simply following instructions from the training ground?? Check it out and see how many good teams use this method and profit from it

Anyone remember that old youtube compilation of Lennon in his early days to the tune of Queen's "don't stop me now"? Was trying to find it but it seems have been deleted from the internet, probably best I couldn't find it as it'll remind me of how exciting he was to watch compared to the timid shell of a player he is now.

Well he's given Ashley Cole plenty of trouble on a fair few occassions....

This decade?

Lennon is done now. Good servant, great servant even but not good enough anymore. Time for him to move to a club more befitting of his talents - like a West Ham or Fulham. If I were him though I'd go to the MLS.

Those were the days... eat your heart out Raheem Sterling...

[video=youtube;vb0HTqzy_0k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb0HTqzy_0k[/video]

it always seemed to me that the numerous downturns in form over the last few years correlated with a Lennon injury absence

The thing that's interesting about that video above is that he hasn't lost his express pace. Rather, I think in recent years, he hasn't shown that explosive change of pace. Usually with wingers, you worry about them losing a step, but with AL, it seems like's he's really lost that ability to go from a slow/set up pace to that rapid, quick-twitch change to top speed. It doesn't seem like one would lose that, but maybe his injuries have slowed him down.

He'll always be a legend to me, but he simply hasn't affected games in the way that he used to during the last couple years, IMO.

Back