• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Aaron Lennon

Really? Ok maybe I was a bit harsh as Lennon has been a good servant to the club but over the past few seasons he has offered virtually no threat going forward. Yes he works hard but he is an attacking winger not a right back. I think if we are serious of cracking top 4 next year he should not be near our starting 11.

I think just needs some good coaching, as we've all seen that there is an effective player in there somewhere. At the moment he is playing well within his own ability which I suppose is a little bit cowardly. He needs to increase the frequency of his runs in behind as he's stood still beside the full back too often, and also the number of times he takes on his man down the outside and down the channel needs to increase. His crossing is not great but to be honest I think it's a ploy we overuse. Crosses into the box are more miss than hit in our case, so I'd like to see Lennon be a bit more direct and come inside his full back more.

I think just needs some good coaching, as we've all seen that there is an effective player in there somewhere. At the moment he is playing well within his own ability which I suppose is a little bit cowardly. He needs to increase the frequency of his runs in behind as he's stood still beside the full back too often, and also the number of times he takes on his man down the outside and down the channel needs to increase. His crossing is not great but to be honest I think it's a ploy we overuse. Crosses into the box are more miss than hit in our case, so I'd like to see Lennon be a bit more direct and come inside his full back more.

I agree but how much longer can we carry on with him? I mean the points you raise are not just new revelations this has been an issue with Azza for several seasons now. Even though Townsend is badly out of form, I would prefer he gets a run of games to finish the season and see what we have with him.

there is no space for him to run into with us pressing high up. recall the times when walker and him would storm into the void ahead of them.

Yep, I always maintained that AVB set us up to play in a way that didn't suit the players at our disposal (high pressing meant no space in behind for pacey players to run into). This was made even worse by inverted wingers.

It's something I thought a new manager might change, but Sherwood seems to have gone with the high line, pressing game as well. It's working better for him thanks to actually including our most creative player in the lineup regularly (after randomly dropping him) and Ade hitting form, but it doesn't do Lennon any favours. He's either going to have to learn to play in that kind of system or move on to a club that sits and hits teams on the break if he wants to look his best again.

I agree but how much longer can we carry on with him? I mean the points you raise are not just new revelations this has been an issue with Azza for several seasons now. Even though Townsend is badly out of form, I would prefer he gets a run of games to finish the season and see what we have with him.

Not much longer I suppose. I'd give him one more chance with the new coach. Shape up or ship out.

Townsend to me is a much more limited player, wouldn't play either of them right now

I'd go with Rorshach assessment

- Start next season with new coach and hopefully Lamela as first choice RM
- Lennon on bench with him knowing he has to fight for his place/future

I would sell Townsend while some clubs still think he has potential (I think he's Routledge Mk2)

Townsend to me is a much more limited player, wouldn't play either of them right now

I would sell Townsend while some clubs still think he has potential (I think he's Routledge Mk2)

Yep, same here, Townsend I'd get rid of and keep Lennon as a squad player. Personally I do like the idea of one winger though, if we do get they konoplyanka then it could be great.

----------ade
Konoplyanka-eriksen-lamela

Or

---------soldado
Chadli---holtby-Lennon

Or sigg/Paulinho/someone new for holtby. I just think we shouldn't change too many players and think were desperate for a back up GK, back up right back, a first team left back and another striker. So maybe we just get one new winger in and keep some of the current squad.

I think Lennon has reached his peak, he's been about the same level for 3-4 years now and it's nowhere near good enough for a top four team.

Townsend, whilst erratic, will get better with time. Most of his issues are currently in his head, if he can improve his decision making he has the potential to be much more effective than Lennon, plus he's not only home grown, he's club grown.

(You should trust me, i was one of the few saying we should buy Sturridge, look how that turned out :p)

Last edited:
Lennon just seems to lack the final third instinct that's needed against defences nowadays. He isn't involved in an attacking sense enough and when he is he doesn't look to have the awareness at the moment, Chadli would've put him through on goal had he made an obvious but defence splitting run, was infuriating!

Like the guy but think he could have given much more this season.

Townsend is Spurs academy grown and starred for England this year and you want to write him off already? And I was told I was being harsh on Lennon!

Townsend is Spurs academy grown and starred for England this year and you want to write him off already? And I was told I was being harsh on Lennon!

Lennon was more threat at 19 that Townsend is today, Lennon imo has played well at the highest level, had consistent runs, offers more, technically better player.

Townsend is quick with a stronger shot (but makes his playing worse as he shoots way too often) than Lennon, nothing more. Everything I've seen says he doesn't fit in a passing/possession side, he doesn't offer enough of threat going forward (unless you consider 80+ shots for 1 goal a threat) and in general is not an intelligent player

I would sell Dembele who in my opinion is technically a much better player than Townsend because he has that same lack of football intelligence.

Dont worry, Townsend will prove him wrong.

i mean look at bentaleb.....raziel didnt really fancy him either in the beginning. Think he's warmed up to him more now though...but still not convinced i dont think

Lennon was more threat at 19 that Townsend is today, Lennon imo has played well at the highest level, had consistent runs, offers more, technically better player.

Townsend is quick with a stronger shot (but makes his playing worse as he shoots way too often) than Lennon, nothing more. Everything I've seen says he doesn't fit in a passing/possession side, he doesn't offer enough of threat going forward (unless you consider 80+ shots for 1 goal a threat) and in general is not an intelligent player

I would sell Dembele who in my opinion is technically a much better player than Townsend because he has that same lack of football intelligence.

Good post. Agree with all of that to be honest.

Dont worry, Townsend will prove him wrong.

i mean look at bentaleb.....raziel didnt really fancy him either in the beginning. Think he's warmed up to him more now though...but still not convinced i dont think

I look forward to it AS, and yes I rate Bentaleb more now ..

Townsend is a veritable novice compared to Lennon and it is far too early to make a judgement on how his career will pan out IMO. After a very bright start his return to Spurs team after injury came with a much higher expectation and it's a burden he is not carrying well. He can see his world cup dream slipping away and it is affecting his performances and decision making drastically. Whether he goes to Brazil or not, this season will grow him as a player I think. I'd definitely keep him around for a few seasons to see how he develops. He's also a Spurs boy which does count for something, in my eyes at least.

Lennon has to be in last chance saloon. When you compare the output/effectiveness of the players playing in similar positions for the sky four I think it shows that Lennon is not doing enough. The frustrating thing is that he can do it, so fingers crossed a new coach can pull it out of him.

You have to credit HR. He had Lennon playing well scoring more goals. He's lost confidence since and does not get into threatening positions as much. I still like the guy. He still has lots to offer. We just need a good coach again.

You have to credit HR. He had Lennon playing well scoring more goals. He's lost confidence since and does not get into threatening positions as much. I still like the guy. He still has lots to offer. We just need a good coach again.

He did?

Lennon's not scored more than five goals in a single season for us. Can't say redknapp gets much credit for what looks like simple statistical variance.

He did?

Lennon's not scored more than five goals in a single season for us. Can't say redknapp gets much credit for what looks like simple statistical variance.

You don't think that Lennon has had spells when he played well for us? If yes, then when were those games?

When he used to get into the box, cut inside and score? I agree these patches are too few and far between. But he's a good squad player and gives his all. With good management, he might look a better player.

You don't think that Lennon has had spells when he played well for us? If yes, then when were those games?

When he used to get into the box, cut inside and score? I agree these patches are too few and far between. But he's a good squad player and gives his all. With good management, he might look a better player.

He's had decent spells, he looks best in a counter attacking team with space to run into, however his final ball is lacking and his goal threat is generally non-existent. He would be a good squad player, in a mid-table side. For a side with top four ambitions we need a first choice right winger who will win us games from time to time, and a backup who will make an instant impact off the bench.

Redknapp got no more out of him then avb or any coach previous in effective contributions.

Back