• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

3rd Place or FA Cup?

3rd Place or FA Cup

• Finishing in 3rd Place

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • Winning the FA Cup

Votes: 55 63.2%

• Total voters
There was a very interesting point raised on the Fighting **** today where two guys said that in a scenario where if Arsenal were to win, Spurs would win the league, they would rather Arsenal lost. I found this point absurd and wondered what others thought?

Yes, sounds very childish

no we only looked likely to finish 4th after beating arsenal and chelsea in successive games. if you remember coming out of wembley it got worse with city battering brum 5-1 that afternoon following them putting 6 past burnley the previous week and wiping out a huge GD advantage we had. villa still were realistically involved as well.

back in february after losing to wolves we looked miles out of it. something like 5 or 6 points behind the 4th team and maybe played a game more too.

As I said, we briefly fell behind City on a couple of occasions but, for the vast majority of the season, we were in the top four.

I think we will lose at Chelsea, Sunderland and probably Bolton. It will be like two seasons ago when us and City kept swapping between 4th and 5th until the end of the season.

I'll be bitterly disappointed if we lose all three of those games. Defeat Chelsea is more than likely with our record there, I'm hoping we can at least grind out a draw at SOL, but defeat at Reebok, once again, and I will start to believe we will never win a League game there

it's the home games that are really gonna make the difference. we should be winning 4 out of those 5 without too much fuss whereas winning away games is never easy.

would certainly take it you offered me 2 wins from the 6 aways left cos it should be enough. obviously we could win 3 or 4 though

Wanting to give up success for your own club just to see your rivals fail? Definition of a small club mentality for me.

Spurs success is more important than anything, no debate as far as I'm concerned. If Arsenal fail when we succeed that's a brilliant bonus, but no way I'd want to swap our success just to see them fail.

It's like saying you'd have accepted us losing the FA Cup final in 1991 if it meant Arsenal only came second in the league.

I'll be bitterly disappointed if we lose all three of those games. Defeat Chelsea is more than likely with our record there, I'm hoping we can at least grind out a draw at SOL, but defeat at Reebok, once again, and I will start to believe we will never win a League game there

The annoying thing is, we should win most of our away games, but we probably won't. I'm not convinced we will win at the Reebok until we actually do it. It's not like were ever unlucky there either, we usually save our worst performance of the season for them no matter how brick they are/how good we are. Sunderland away these days is a tricky prospect. Draw wouldn't be terrible. We have a mental block that stops us winning at Stamford Bridge, never seem to get any luck there. What I don't get is what makes a team lose to a certain team year after year even though the players change and the managers change? The result still stays the same. Not just talking about Spurs, but in general, certain things just seem to be ingrained at football clubs.

Wanting to give up success for your own club just to see your rivals fail? Definition of a small club mentality for me.

Spurs success is more important than anything, no debate as far as I'm concerned. If Arsenal fail when we succeed that's a brilliant bonus, but no way I'd want to swap our success just to see them fail.

It's like saying you'd have accepted us losing the FA Cup final in 1991 if it meant Arsenal only came second in the league.

And the definition of someone who ISN'T a "true yid", if you ask me. ;)

The annoying thing is, we should win most of our away games, but we probably won't. I'm not convinced we will win at the Reebok until we actually do it. It's not like were ever unlucky there either, we usually save our worst performance of the season for them no matter how brick they are/how good we are. Sunderland away these days is a tricky prospect. Draw wouldn't be terrible. We have a mental block that stops us winning at Stamford Bridge, never seem to get any luck there. What I don't get is what makes a team lose to a certain team year after year even though the players change and the managers change? The result still stays the same. Not just talking about Spurs, but in general, certain things just seem to be ingrained at football clubs.

We've definitely been unlucky there in the past. I can remember a succession of games, back in Allardyce's day, when we couldn't catch a break there.

One game, in particular, stands out. We had a free kick just outside their box. Freddie Kanoute took it. One of the players in their wall clearly handballed. Nothing given. Kanoute complained. Got booked. And then got a harsh second yellow minutes later. Can't remember for sure but I think there were one or two other bad decisions against us in that game too.

quick question..

If we were to place 4th this year and play in the CL qualifying stages next year, wouldn't that equate to more money (from gameday revenues and the like)?

apologies if this has already been discussed.

quick question..

If we were to place 4th this year and play in the CL qualifying stages next year, wouldn't that equate to more money (from gameday revenues and the like)?

apologies if this has already been discussed.
I'm pretty sure that's more than negated by the prize money for finishing a position higher in the league.

gate money at Cat A prices would be miles more surely. think's it about ?ú800K per place in the prem at the moment

I fail to understand why so many give a brick about where the Arse finish, its all about what Spurs do for me :-k

And as he said, not finishing 3rd means we have thrown away a 10pt gap and capitulated to an embarrassing level where no one will take us seriously next season. It IS about what Spurs do.

Indeed we take the tinkle out of the Arse for not winning anything, but it would seem there are Spurs fan that want us to do the same.

Dont think its fair to join the thread on pg 8, and not read the pages and pages of valid, reasoned debate as to why some people would take 3rd this particular season, over the cup.

Its not to see anyone fail. Forget arsenal.

Its about NOT capitulating and choking for the run in. Its about convincing our top players we have a mentality to compete....as well as targets in the summer. Its about finishing as Londons top club, and the phsycological advantage that gives us next season for a real title challenge.

Its about qualifying directly for the CL, and going into the transfer window as a CL club. Its about attracting the attention of sponsers and investors at an important time in our stadium project.

Its about not being eclipsed by City within one year, who were our rivals for 4th just yesterday. Its about proving you can improve and fight, and hold your own within your own means.....and taking the next step in our improvment with our highest ever PL finish. Maybe convincing Harry to stay, and build.

Its about all the things that being an elite club, reguarly competing for the title and challenging in the CL bring.......and thats trying to win trophies.

Some people would just sacrifice the FA Cup this one year, for that.

Dont think its fair to join the thread on pg 8, and not read the pages and pages of valid, reasoned debate as to why some people would take 3rd this particular season, over the cup.

And if you get your head out of you arse you will find my first post was num 21 on page two.

And as he said, not finishing 3rd means we have thrown away a 10pt gap and capitulated to an embarrassing level where no one will take us seriously next season. It IS about what Spurs do.

You worry about the Ares i will support my team and not worry about any other.

?

You are the one that keeps talking about arsenal. Im talking about how weak it would be throwing a 10pt lead away in three months. Regardless of who is below us.

Back