• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2015-16 Pre Season

The midweek game should get us used to the EL Tuesday games - meaningless midweek game. Perfect preparation.

2014 (season started on the 16th):

Tuesday 12 August 7.45 pm
Chel53a 2-0 Real Sociedad

Their third game in five days, 45 minutes against each of Fenerbache and Besiktas in Turkey on Thursday and Ferencvaros in Hungary on Saturday.

Tuesday August 12 7.30pm
Manchester United 2-1 Valencia

Chel53a are playing Fiorentina on Wednesday.

So what you guys are telling me is that Chelsea under Mourinho last season went for a somewhat similar pre-season strategy to ours this season? A strategy they're repeating this season? After winning the league last season...

Of course this is a reason to complain for some posters...

So what you guys are telling me is that Chel53a under Mourinho last season went for a somewhat similar pre-season strategy to ours this season? A strategy they're repeating this season? After winning the league last season...

Of course this is a reason to complain for some posters...

Jose obviously does not have a clue ;)

This is what Windy said in his write up of the MLS game

"The odd thing about Dier playing in midfield is that Mauricio Pochettino has shown no signs so far of wanting to use a sitting player. If he’d wanted a player that could do that he’d surely have used Étienne Capoue or Benji Stambouli, or even our super-talented young Serbian player, Miloš Veljković. That Dier is ahead of Veljković in the midfield pecking order does not bode well for Milos, who seems likely to be farmed out on loan again this season. Stylistically, he doesn’t seem to be a good match for Pochettino – he’s not a high-tempo player, and he’s not a natural presser. Although he can play centre-back equally well, we’re fairly well-stocked in that area just now. We just have to hope he doesn’t end up leaving out of frustration at a lack of chances, as he’s a potential star of the future. That’s a bit of an aside."

and this is what he said in his ratings on the Stevenage game today:

"Veljkovic 9 – wonderfully composed on the ball with a very useful range of passing; solid in the tackle; intelligent reading of the game. What’s not to like? I am slightly baffled as to why Pochettino doesn’t love him as much as I do, and I can only think that it’s because he doesn’t play with the high intensity that Pochettino demands. I’ve heard murmurings of a Championship loan – he’s better than that at this point and – in my opinion – should be getting outings for us in the Europa League and League Cup."

I am baffled by most things that Pochettino does, Veljkovic was outstanding in the pre-season games last season and never got a look in.

I am baffled by most things that Pochettino does, Veljkovic was outstanding in the pre-season games last season and never got a look in.

He was out on two loans to the Championship last season. One where he struggled to get game time and one where he impressed early on and then promptly got injured in his third game or something like that.

I think the decision to give him game time out on loan instead of staying at Spurs seems perfectly fine, although he obviously could have been luckier with his loan moves.

So far he hasn't been sent out on loan this season and everything people are claiming about Pochettino's views on him seems based on speculation and one ITK.

I don't get people's problem here, I'd rather a friendly this week where the team stick together don't people remember it's normally an international friendly instead

Okay the EL games are Thursday. Are there any unknown places on the team sheet? Walker or Tripier? Who will play if Mason is out? Will Dier be on the bench? Maybe Alli could play CM with Bentaleb.

Not sure the point you are trying to make?

What will our team be on Tuesday? It'll probably we two teams or 60 mins only for first team players.

What will our team be on Tuesday? It'll probably we two teams or 60 mins only for first team players.

Now I get it, well I think we will put out a strong team on Tuesday and then use the rest for the second game. I think those who are going to start the season at Utd should get a full 90 minutes ( or close to it) against Madrid and then the back up players the same in the second game. ( imo)

I want to see our defence work as a unit (with the midfield). It will be a big test for them against elite players. We have to be meaner in defence this season. Our midfield has been unstable for about 4 years now. Bentaleb, a 20 year old, is the only mainstay of our central midfield. Since AVB we've not had a strong core in midfield. I think having that would help our defence.

I'm pretty sure Poch and the training staff know what they're doing, but it does seem odd to me too that we're playing these kind of friendlies so close to the start of the season. I would have thought we'd play those earlier and, if we needed some more fine tuning before our first competitive match, we'd schedule a training ground match with the local pub team. Instead, it's the other way around.

I imagine we'll use our strongest vs. Real Madrid (and one closely resembling the one that starts vs. Man Utd) and then a completely different eleven against Milan/Bayern - likes of Onomah etc hopefully.

I'm pretty sure Poch and the training staff know what they're doing, but it does seem odd to me too that we're playing these kind of friendlies so close to the start of the season. I would have thought we'd play those earlier and, if we needed some more fine tuning before our first competitive match, we'd schedule a training ground match with the local pub team. Instead, it's the other way around.

I don't think we can say no to the 'prestige' and exposure when invited to the Audi Cup and it is good for the squad to play against that quality. Just so happens that the Cup is this week to fit in with Bundesliga/La Liga presumably and not with the bloated EPL.

Don't think it makes a great difference to our preperations for Saturday (bar lost travel time)

I don't think we can say no to the 'prestige' and exposure when invited to the Audi Cup and it is good for the squad to play against that quality. Just so happens that the Cup is this week to fit in with Bundesliga/La Liga presumably and not with the bloated EPL.

Don't think it makes a great difference to our preperations for Saturday (bar lost travel time)
I agree we should play these tournaments and it's great exposure and experience, but we struggled the past two years after our EL matches and this might be one of the same, albeit we do have the luxury of not overexerting our first team in this particular instance. We'll know on Saturday.

I'm hoping I can watch this game on one of the random foreign channels in my hotel room. hopefully a good match, but you just know Real will use it to scout Kane.

I was trying to get to the Spurs Pre-Season thread, but seem to have ended up in the Victimpool thread. Peculiar. And where is the Spurs vs Real Madrid OMT?

Can someone enlighten me as to why the heck we are playing away in Germany just a few days before we are away to Utd? :eek:

Can someone enlighten me as to why the heck we are playing away in Germany just a few days before we are away to Utd? :eek:

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

As Vega says, and it's also nice to get a little confidence boost by smashing RM. Ronaldo has pulled out of the squad, fearing he would have been in Trippiers pocket for the next 6 months.

Back