• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2015-16 Pre Season

he's better in defensive midfield - like where he played every game under Sherwood, where he played for Charlton before his injury and where he played today (and impressed)

This is what Windy said in his write up of the MLS game

"The odd thing about Dier playing in midfield is that Mauricio Pochettino has shown no signs so far of wanting to use a sitting player. If he’d wanted a player that could do that he’d surely have used Étienne Capoue or Benji Stambouli, or even our super-talented young Serbian player, Miloš Veljković. That Dier is ahead of Veljković in the midfield pecking order does not bode well for Milos, who seems likely to be farmed out on loan again this season. Stylistically, he doesn’t seem to be a good match for Pochettino – he’s not a high-tempo player, and he’s not a natural presser. Although he can play centre-back equally well, we’re fairly well-stocked in that area just now. We just have to hope he doesn’t end up leaving out of frustration at a lack of chances, as he’s a potential star of the future. That’s a bit of an aside."

and this is what he said in his ratings on the Stevenage game today:

"Veljkovic 9 – wonderfully composed on the ball with a very useful range of passing; solid in the tackle; intelligent reading of the game. What’s not to like? I am slightly baffled as to why Pochettino doesn’t love him as much as I do, and I can only think that it’s because he doesn’t play with the high intensity that Pochettino demands. I’ve heard murmurings of a Championship loan – he’s better than that at this point and – in my opinion – should be getting outings for us in the Europa League and League Cup."

Windy was just speculating and said as much

"Veljkovic could be so good for us but from what I hear isn’t rated by Pochettino and his team. A real pity."

Unless he expanded on that then it looks more than just him speculating to me. Veljkovic not being involved with the 1st team would also suggest it's probably true.

This is what Windy said in his write up of the MLS game

"The odd thing about Dier playing in midfield is that Mauricio Pochettino has shown no signs so far of wanting to use a sitting player. If he’d wanted a player that could do that he’d surely have used Étienne Capoue or Benji Stambouli, or even our super-talented young Serbian player, Miloš Veljković. That Dier is ahead of Veljković in the midfield pecking order does not bode well for Milos, who seems likely to be farmed out on loan again this season. Stylistically, he doesn’t seem to be a good match for Pochettino – he’s not a high-tempo player, and he’s not a natural presser. Although he can play centre-back equally well, we’re fairly well-stocked in that area just now. We just have to hope he doesn’t end up leaving out of frustration at a lack of chances, as he’s a potential star of the future. That’s a bit of an aside."

and this is what he said in his ratings on the Stevenage game today:

"Veljkovic 9 – wonderfully composed on the ball with a very useful range of passing; solid in the tackle; intelligent reading of the game. What’s not to like? I am slightly baffled as to why Pochettino doesn’t love him as much as I do, and I can only think that it’s because he doesn’t play with the high intensity that Pochettino demands. I’ve heard murmurings of a Championship loan – he’s better than that at this point and – in my opinion – should be getting outings for us in the Europa League and League Cup."

Windy is like most football fans and he has favourites like most of us and he also has players he does not rate. I enjoy his write ups but that does not mean that every opinion he puts forward is the right one and why I say I would not read to much into what he may include ( as a opinion) in his writes up.

Windy is like most football fans and he has favourites like most of us and he also has players he does not rate. I enjoy his write ups but that does not mean that every opinion he puts forward is the right one and why I say I would not read to much into what he may include ( as a opinion) in his writes up.

I agree

Another write-up of today's game. Also suggests Veljkovic was the best player on the pitch. Interesting to see him playing in central midfield - I've mostly seen him in defence (for Serbia) and figured that would be his primary position. Seems that might not be the case... he's certainly a versatile youngster.

Another write-up of today's game. Also suggests Veljkovic was the best player on the pitch. Interesting to see him playing in central midfield - I've mostly seen him in defence (for Serbia) and figured that would be his primary position. Seems that might not be the case... he's certainly a versatile youngster.

His versatility may be what's hurting him, there's probably quite an even split between those who think he should be a CB and those who think he's better as a DM. He's won a European Championship(U19) and a World Cup(U20) playing as a CB for Serbia, yet the majority of is club career has come as a DM and when he played alongside Bentaleb the two were equally rated. Last year was a write-off for him, the Boro loan in hindsight looks more like one mate doing another a favour(Poch and Karanka) rather than one that had any real thought behind it, then when he was just getting going at Charlton he dislocated his shoulder. Next season is a real important one for him, wherever he ends up hopefully he can change Poch's mind.

King took the same path when Pleat pushed him into midfield, and look at how he used that opportunity to improve his game at CB.

After today every Premier League club but one has all their friendlies over with. They are all doing it wrong ;)

2014 (season started on the 16th):

Tuesday 12 August 7.45 pm
Chelsea 2-0 Real Sociedad

Their third game in five days, 45 minutes against each of Fenerbache and Besiktas in Turkey on Thursday and Ferencvaros in Hungary on Saturday.

Tuesday August 12 7.30pm
Manchester United 2-1 Valencia

Back