• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Can I just say how astounded I am at the hate S'oton have for us, judging by what goes on in their dark, dripping den over at Saintsweb? Liverpool strip them of four of their players, nary a sound. United poach their best left-back, not a word. Spurs take their manager (who himself stated that he had no wish to be at St.Mary's post Cortese), and they're all running around gathering pitchforks and screaming bloody murder whenever we try to go for whatever good players they have left after United and Liverpool are done with their puny wash of a club.

And what's even more eternally surprising is that they sincerely believe that they're on par with us, if not better. We're run by a mediocre tightwad and an absentee billionaire who sadistically forces us to work with whatever we generate: they were financed up through the divisions by infusion after infusion given to them by their own, far more generous billionaire owner ,and were run until recently by an apparent visionary who supposedly inspired such loyalty to both himself and his visions for the club that the whole place nearly unravelled after he left. We're renowned as a club that bottles it at crucial moments and as a cup side more than a league team: they have no such constraints to operate under. Our peak (reached between 2010 and 2012) is now far behind us, while they're barrelling on with all the forward momentum they have.

Theoretically, given such advantages, a club 'on-par' with us should have left us in the dust as they marched onwards. And yet, even after the best season they've ever, ever had in the Premier League.....they still finished below us. Two places below us. They've won absolutely nothing of note since their FA Cup win in 1976 (and they then have the nerve to taunt us about our far more recent cup drought), and our trophy cabinet dwarfs theirs by comparison (I think that FA Cup is the only top-flight trophy they have to their names). Even with our mediocrity, and our miserly, self-imposed austerity, we're still ahead of them, and have been for the entirety of the Premier League era (and their history).

And yet...they're on par with us?!? So level with us that a player or manager moving from Southampton to Spurs would be a 'sideways step' at best, and a downwards move at worst?

Where does this hate come from? I have no delusions about our place in the football world (although I do feel that we're voluntarily constrained by the stupid way in which we're run), but we're infinitely better than they are, and I'm sure they know it deep down: it's only this extreme dislike of THFC that gives them head-rushes about what they are compared to us. Don't get me wrong, I wish them well as a club: I hope they succeed, and start building the history that would enable them to eventually move past us, if they're capable of such a feat. But these delusions their fans possess about already having moved past us or being a better place for footballers to go to than Spurs ( o_O ).....why?

Is it because of Hoddle?

Yet another " war and piece" post :) which does contain SOME really good points but mostly just more digs at Levy and the way he has lifted our club. But it does go back to the Hoddle situation and their ex chairman "Rubert Lowe ".

Yet another " war and piece" post :) which does contain SOME really good points but mostly just more digs at Levy and the way he has lifted our club. But it does go back to the Hoddle situation and their ex chairman "Rubert Lowe ".

Oh come on, there's like three of them. I rationed them out just to keep you sweet, mate. :p Why are they so tinkled off about Hoddle? He was our legend, we brought him back in a managerial capacity, they were (if I remember correctly) well placed and in no danger when he left. So why the salty, ever so angsty tears?

@DubaiSpur

It's because they're inbred chavs. If you've so far avoided the misfortune, don't ever go to Southampton. It makes Mos Eisley look like Mayfair.

It's one of only 3 places (along with Liverpool and South London) that make Portsmouth look like an aspirational place to live.

I hope we can get him. Mainly because for the past month I've been monitoring a Southampton forum and can't believe the level of hatred they have for us for... er... appointing a couple of their managers fairly.

Threatening legal action against us is pathetic. If anything happens which involves us signing him their quarrell should be with Athletico, we will have broken NO rules and to be honest I'm not so sure that Alderweireld will want to sign for a petty little outfit like them after watching them behave like children anyway.
Can I just say how astounded I am at the hate S'oton have for us, judging by what goes on in their dark, dripping den over at Saintsweb? Liverpool strip them of four of their players, nary a sound. United poach their best left-back, not a word. Spurs take their manager (who himself stated that he had no wish to be at St.Mary's post Cortese), and they're all running around gathering pitchforks and screaming bloody murder whenever we try to go for whatever good players they have left after United and Liverpool are done with their puny wash of a club.

And what's even more eternally surprising is that they sincerely believe that they're on par with us, if not better. We're run by a mediocre tightwad and an absentee billionaire who sadistically forces us to work with whatever we generate: they were financed up through the divisions by infusion after infusion given to them by their own, far more generous billionaire owner ,and were run until recently by an apparent visionary who supposedly inspired such loyalty to both himself and his visions for the club that the whole place nearly unravelled after he left. We're renowned as a club that bottles it at crucial moments and as a cup side more than a league team: they have no such constraints to operate under. Our peak (reached between 2010 and 2012) is now far behind us, while they're barrelling on with all the forward momentum they have.

Theoretically, given such advantages, a club 'on-par' with us should have left us in the dust as they marched onwards. And yet, even after the best season they've ever, ever had in the Premier League.....they still finished below us. Two places below us. They've won absolutely nothing of note since their FA Cup win in 1976 (and they then have the nerve to taunt us about our far more recent cup drought), and our trophy cabinet dwarfs theirs by comparison (I think that FA Cup is the only top-flight trophy they have to their names). Even with our mediocrity, and our miserly, self-imposed austerity, we're still ahead of them, and have been for the entirety of the Premier League era (and their history).

And yet...they're on par with us?!? So level with us that a player or manager moving from Southampton to Spurs would be a 'sideways step' at best, and a downwards move at worst?

Where does this hate come from? I have no delusions about our place in the football world (although I do feel that we're voluntarily constrained by the stupid way in which we're run), but we're infinitely better than they are, and I'm sure they know it deep down: it's only this extreme dislike of THFC that gives them head-rushes about what they are compared to us. Don't get me wrong, I wish them well as a club: I hope they succeed, and start building the history that would enable them to eventually move past us, if they're capable of such a feat. But these delusions their fans possess about already having moved past us or being a better place for footballers to go to than Spurs ( o_O ).....why?

Is it because of Hoddle?
If someone stole our coach and staff who had us playing in a style we really enjoyed, then tried to constantly tried to poach our best players would you not despise them a little?

@DubaiSpur

It's because they're inbred chavs. If you've so far avoided the misfortune, don't ever go to Southampton. It makes Mos Eisley look like Mayfair.

It's one of only 3 places (along with Liverpool and South London) that make Portsmouth look like an aspirational place to live.

I've never had cause to go to Southampton, but I'll be sure to remember your advice if I'm ever directed that way. :D

If someone stole our coach and staff who had us playing in a style we really enjoyed, then tried to constantly tried to poach our best players would you not despise them a little?

Yes, but equally with the other teams involved in such activities. Both United and Real have made persistent attempts to poach our players (often in a far more underhanded fashion than our attempts to buy Soton's players), and I dislike them both equally for doing so. Yet S'oton are seemingly fine with Liverpool and United consistently bumming them and leaving with their best players, but unfailingly throw a s#it fit when we try to do the same.

Oh come on, there's like three of them. I rationed them out just to keep you sweet, mate. :p Why are they so tinkleed off about Hoddle? He was our legend, we brought him back in a managerial capacity, they were (if I remember correctly) well placed and in no danger when he left. So why the salty, ever so angsty tears?

Lowe threw his toys out of the pram when he lost Hoddle and called us "North London yobbos". He also carried it on when we took Richards from them and their supporters have hated us ever since.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/the-lowe-blow-aimed-at-spurs-6318249.html

Last edited:
its a long running minor fued now though isnt it. We Took Hoddle which tinkled them off, then took Richards, but that was their choice. We got Bale for a knock down fee which given that we then got 86m for him probably still tinkles them off. Then we Take Poch, unsettle Schneiderlin and are looking to take Alberweireld. Its not a suprise they hate us really is it. That is a lot over a constant period of time.

I seem to remember their Chairman saying they was as big as club as us and that lent to the term we used on this forum for a while of SCBC ( south coact big club ) then they went down and it disappeared for a while.

Good post DS,I've been on saintsweb and noticed exactly the same. It peculiar the level of hatred they have for us. Maybe it's something to do with not having a local rival for a few seasons, maybe we're just the team people who lack a local rival try to develop one with (e.g. West Ham)? Perhaps we're just so "deluded" that our tiny minds can't begin to fathom what the reason is.

Lowe threw his toys out of the pram when he lost Hoddle and called us "North London yobbos". He also carried it on when we took Richards from them and their supporters have hate us ever since.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/the-lowe-blow-aimed-at-spurs-6318249.html

Ooh. That probably explains it. I never did pay attention to all the stuff surrounding Hoddle at the time (just excited he was coming, like any other kid would be)...but wow, bitter much?

its a long running minor fued now though isnt it. We Took Hoddle which tinkleed them off, then took Richards, but that was their choice. We got Bale for a knock down fee which given that we then got 86m for him probably still tinklees them off. Then we Take Poch, unsettle Schneiderlin and are looking to take Alberweireld. Its not a suprise they hate us really is it. That is a lot over a constant period of time.

I seem to remember their Chairman saying they was as big as club as us and that lent to the term we used on this forum for a while of SCBC ( south coact big club ) then they went down and it disappeared for a while.

Arsenal got Walcott off 'em. And Chambers more recently. They still might end up getting Schneiderlin. Still, no hate for them. So it is still a bit weird, although having said that, I can see it a bit more from their point of view after that list of occurrences you've laid out.

I did see the SCBC term floating around recently, but I thought it was just because they were pompous to everyone (as it seemed). But no, it seems they just dislike us. It's a bit surprising, and now, after the details have been laid out....a bit amusing. :)

Any chance they dislike 'Oh when the Spurs' as well? I know the original song had 'Saints' where the 'Spurs' is, and thus is a more natural fit to them (although I honestly don't know which version came first).

I've never had cause to go to Southampton, but I'll be sure to remember your advice if I'm ever directed that way. :D

Yes, but equally with the other teams involved in such activities. Both United and Real have made persistent attempts to poach our players (often in a far more underhanded fashion than our attempts to buy Soton's players), and I dislike them both equally for doing so. Yet S'oton are seemingly fine with Liverpool and United consistently bumming them and leaving with their best players, but unfailingly throw a s#it fit when we try to do the same.
They aren't - I don't know what exactly you've seen of SaintsWeb but theres definitely a lot of comments regarding Liverpool and they hate them as much as us...

I think, Dubai, you have already hit upon your answer.

The reason why Saints fans froth at the mouth at any mention of Spurs and are not seemingly bothered so much by other clubs that have raided them is that they genuinely (and comically) do believe that they are as big as Spurs. But even they cannot delude themselves that they are as big as Man Utd, Arsenal or Liverpool. So they feel it less when those other clubs take their players. It doesn't shatter their illusion.

I think, Dubai, you have already hit upon your answer.

The reason why Saints fans froth at the mouth at any mention of Spurs and are not seemingly bothered so much by other clubs that have raided them is that they genuinely (and comically) do believe that they are as big as Spurs. But even they cannot delude themselves that they are as big as Man Utd, Arsenal or Liverpool. So they feel it less when those other clubs take their players. It doesn't shatter their illusion.
I don't think they think they are as big as us - If you look at SaintsWeb they tend to acknowledge in the Toby thread that Spurs hold a bigger pull than them...

I don't think they think they are as big as us - If you look at SaintsWeb they tend to acknowledge in the Toby thread that Spurs hold a bigger pull than them...

I dunno, a week or so ago it seemed a fair few were suggesting they were of equal pull to us but I guess the minority is always the more vocal.

yeah the hate goes back to Hoddle and Richards.

They probably also feel slightly aggrieved by this ;) http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/226447.html

While Gareth Bale seems to edge ever closer to a world-record transfer from Tottenham Hotspur to Real Madrid, officials at Southampton must be wincing at the thought of missing out on a bumper windfall.

Bale left St Mary's to sign for Tottenham in 2007 for £5 million, plus £5m in potential add-ons, and a sell-on clause guaranteeing Southampton 25% of any future transfer away from White Hart Lane.

But the Saints renegotiated the deal when they found themselves in financial difficulties in 2008, accepting £3m to waive any future income from Bale, whose proposed transfer to Real Madrid is anticipated to break the £80m record the Spanish giants paid for Cristiano Ronaldo in 2009.

The prospect of missing out on £20m or more may sting, but the move did at least help to secure Southampton's future. The club was bought and had its debt cleared in 2009, sparking a rise from League One to the Premier League.

And there's always Theo Walcott - Southampton still have a similar clause in place should the Arsenal forward ever leave the Emirates.

Levy at his finest :cool:

http://www.theguardian.com/football...ld-friends-spurs-atletico-madrid-southampton?

David Hytner

'Toby Alderweireld has told friends that he wants to join Tottenham Hotspur. The Belgium defender spent last season on loan from Atlético Madrid at Southampton and he has been pursued by the south-coast club, who believe that they have an agreement to sign him on a permanent basis. But the 26-year-old has indicated that he prefers a move to Tottenham.

Alderweireld is attracted by the prospect of partnering his international team-mate, Jan Vertonghen, in central defence at White Hart Lane while he considers Tottenham to be the surer bet for regular European football.

He would also be able to fly home more easily from London – there are direct flights to Deurne, the small airport that serves his hometown of Antwerp.

Tottenham have agreed a fee in principle with Atlético of €16m (£11.4m ) and they are confident of reaching agreement with Alderweireld on a five-year contract.

He joined Atlético from Ajax in September 2013 for €8m and the doubling of his value owes much to his excellent performances for Southampton.

The situation has become complicated because of a clause in Alderweireld’s loan deal at Southampton, which gave the club the option to make his transfer permanent for €8m – unless Atlético paid them €2m to cancel the arrangement.

Atlético failed to meet the deadline for the payment and Southampton have been left angry and threatening legal action.

The reality is that if Southampton lack the will of the player, it is impractical for them to force him to come to them. It is more likely that they will come to a financial settlement related to their loss of the €2m. Southampton are prepared to rival Tottenham’s €16m bid but it remains to be seen whether that would sway matters.

Alderweireld, for his part, is keen for an amicable solution, as he recognises that he owes Southampton for helping to reignite his career after he had struggled at Atlético.

He is also determined to get things resolved quickly, so that he can enjoy a full pre-season at the club where he will play. He has moved on transfer deadline day in each of the past two summers.

Southampton have completed the signing of the versatile defender, Cuco Martinez, from FC Twente on a two-year contract.

He arrives as the first-choice left-back, Ryan Bertrand, is out for a number of weeks after knee surgery. Martinez’s natural position, though, is right-back.'

Well, the Guardian's picked up on this saga now.

Back