• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

He is doing another 5pm briefing today
Normally he only does them when it's good news he can take the credit for, obviously yesterday was different

He's giving a statement to parliament at 1.30pm about schools re-opening and other lockdown restrictions. BBC :

Prime Minister Boris Johnson will give a statement in the House of Commons at 13:30, on plans to bring the country out of lockdown, and England's schools - currently closed to most pupils.

Afterwards, Home Secretary Priti Patel is expected to announce tougher measures for "red list" countries - controls on travellers coming in to the UK from countries where new virus variants are of concern.

It's thought those rules will include hotel quarantine periods for people coming from places like South Africa, South America and Portugal.

Later on, Boris Johnson will lead a Downing Street coronavirus briefing at 17:00 GMT.

Bit dumb to just do it for a few countries, as if only the dirty and poor countries are capable of producing a variant. It's as likely to come from Germany as it South Africa.

Also as everyone has pointed out you can fly from Brazil to Germany to the UK, I know for a fact this is happening as until last week a mate was commuting weekly from London to Germany and on his way back from Germany before they announced mandatory PCR testing for all arrivals his plane was full with Brazilians who had done this exact route.

Schools in England will not be able to open after the half-term break next month but could begin to return from 8 March, the prime minister has said

So it sounds like there are finally going to be checks on people leaving the country i.e. checking the reason they are leaving, as non-essential travel is not allowed. This is good (if done properly) as it should help keep the the numbers of returnees down.

The PM added the UK's ban on travel for leisure purposes would be enforced at airports and ports.
He said: "Under the stay-at-home regulations, it is illegal to leave home to travel abroad for leisure purposes and we will enforce this at ports and airports by asking people why they are leaving and instructing them to return home if they do not have a valid reason to travel."

In a statement to the House of Commons, Home Secretary Priti Patel said it was "clear that there are too many people coming in and out of our country each day" and that border measures would be toughened up to "reduce passenger flow" and protect the UK's "world-leading" vaccination programme.

On the hotel quarantine measures, she said arrivals would be subject to a new "managed isolation process", adding that the DHSC would "set out further details on this approach next week".

Outlining other border measures, Ms Patel said police would increase checks at home addresses to ensure arrivals were complying with self-isolation rules and that the UK would continue to refuse entry non-UK citizens from "red list" countries which were already subject to the travel ban.
She also unveiled a new requirement for people wishing to travel abroad, under which they would need make a declaration for why they needed to travel, which would then be checked by carriers prior to departure.
"Going on holiday is not a valid reason [for travel]," she said.

Police presence would also be increased at ports and airports, she added, with fines for those found to be in breach of stay-at-home regulations.
Ms Patel said: "Anyone who doesn't not have a valid reason for travel will be directed to return home or they will face a fine."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55821702

I wonder what the checks are that airlines etc. will be expected to carry out? I suppose if someone gives the reason for travel on this new declaration as 'holiday' then the airline can refuse to let them board but how much checking can they actually do?

Vaccines low again yesterday, no chance of them making the 15m like they said by Mid-Feb
Would love to know why are reaching almost 500k on the 23rd they have got nowhere near the next 3 days, will no doubt be somebody elses fault

upload_2021-1-27_16-47-42.png

Question for schools when they return.

Choose one correct answer.

Q. You are the leader of an island. There is a deadly virus that has killed many thousands of people overseas. Do you:

a. Think about what to do in a year's time.
b. Highlight the benefits of the virus moving like a wave through the population
c. Explore ways in which billions of pounds worth of contracts can be handed out to those who support you.
d. Close all sea and airports. Restricting incoming visitors to an absolute minimum and ensuring any that do enter are isolated for a sufficient period of time.
e. Celebrate with gatherings and feasts and ridicule anybody who suggests otherwise.
f. Highlight that you are a transport hub, as if nobody else in the world is.

Last edited:
Just asked my MP on Facebook what is the reason for the drop in vaccinations since the 23rd
I said with the current numbers there is no way the mid Feb target is going to be achieved

As expected the blame lies elsewhere, this was her very MP'like response

I believe we are on track to hit the mid Feb target, but dependent on vaccine supply

So I replied, so is the drop purely down to supply issues then ?

No response currently

Why won't this government under-promise and over-produce, it's always the other way

Just asked my MP on Facebook what is the reason for the drop in vaccinations since the 23rd
I said with the current numbers there is no way the mid Feb target is going to be achieved

As expected the blame lies elsewhere, this was her very MP'like response

I believe we are on track to hit the mid Feb target, but dependent on vaccine supply

So I replied, so is the drop purely down to supply issues then ?

No response currently

Why won't this government under-promise and over-produce, it's always the other way
Most likely supply shortages and confidentiality clauses.

Back