• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Federico Fazio

He has won nearly everything in the air ( something we have not done for seasons) and if you are seriously writing off a player who has played a handful of games then I really can not understand some of our fans, have you seen him in the flesh or just on the TV?

He hasnt won everything in the air though...that would be suggesting he had a commanding type presence in the air constantly ala terry and vidic.

I personally didnt get that impression watching him against hull.

Dawson is much more assured in the air except when matched against a top level bully

and no i have not seen him in the flesh ...just the telly. luckily the camera follows the ball i can still see what he's like challenging for headers

He hasnt won everything in the air though...that would be suggesting he had a commanding type presence in the air constantly ala terry and vidic.

I personally didnt get that impression watching him against hull.

Dawson is much more assured in the air except when matched against a top level bully

and no i have not seen him in the flesh ...just the telly. luckily the camera follows the ball i can still see what he's like challenging for headers

I have seen every game he has played and he has won the vast majority of balls in the air, Dawson was ok but no more then that in the air. Fazio is the type of CB we have missed for years and once he has settled alongside Jan will be a far better player then Dawson ever was. I loved Dawson and his attitude was first class but I lost count of the number of times he was left on his **** on the half way line and out of position when we were under pressure.

I have seen every game he has played and he has won the vast majority of balls in the air, Dawson was ok but no more then that in the air. Fazio is the type of CB we have missed for years and once he has settled alongside Jan will be a far better player then Dawson ever was. I loved Dawson and his attitude was first class but I lost count of the number of times he was left on his **** on the half way line and out of position when we were under pressure.

you do realise that is an unfair way to judge a player of dawsons type. as in the type of CB that dawson is shouldnt be judged on what he does versus versatile nippy quick agile etc type players

for the time being we will have to agree to disagree with regards to Fazio's ariel prowess. Having said that the liklehood of you being right is far greater than me. You have seen every game Fazio has played in live and in the flesh, i have only see about 3 games of his ...all on television and really on assessed him on TV once. but for the game against Hull it didnt seem to me that he was good at anticipating action areas when the ball came into our box and even though he won his fair share of ariel bouts , as most CBs should, he didnt seem commanding with it IMO......

so i would say you know more than me right now

one thing i wll say, completely disagree about your evaluation of Dawson...he was a very good defender and served us extremely well...positionally sound and astute, strong in the air, good timing in the tackle and a great communicator of the back line. The only problem he has is with coaches that play the high line and dont have the players to enforce that...Dawson gets exposed more often with those IMO

you do realise that is an unfair way to judge a player of dawsons type. as in the type of CB that dawson is shouldnt be judged on what he does versus versatile nippy quick agile etc type players

for the time being we will have to agree to disagree with regards to Fazio's ariel prowess. Having said that the liklehood of you being right is far greater than me. You have seen every game Fazio has played in live and in the flesh, i have only see about 3 games of his ...all on television and really on assessed him on TV once. but for the game against Hull it didnt seem to me that he was good at anticipating action areas when the ball came into our box and even though he won his fair share of ariel bouts , as most CBs should, he didnt seem commanding with it IMO......

so i would say you know more than me right now

one thing i wll say, completely disagree about your evaluation of Dawson...he was a very good defender and served us extremely well...positionally sound and astute, strong in the air, good timing in the tackle and a great communicator of the back line. The only problem he has is with coaches that play the high line and dont have the players to enforce that...Dawson gets exposed more often with those IMO

I have nothing against Dawson at all, however over the last couple of seasons he has really gone backwards in his performances ( and you are right the high line makes him look worse). It was time to move him on and the only reason I have mentioned Dawson in my earlier posts is because I keep hearing from some fans that we should have kept him over Fazio.

Fazio will be better for us in the high line and once he has settled he will show that, my overall point with Fazio is those who ( after a handful of games for us) have already wrote of ( yet another player) without giving him a proper chance to show what he can do based on seeing him on the box a couple of times.

Now I am not accusing you of that at all but if you read through this thread and listen to comments at the game there are those who have ( foolishly) already done so.

If 3 games is too early to judge, then by the same token its a tad soon to predict that Fazio 'will be better than Dawson ever was'. Dawson has been a good premiership player for a long time, and so if Fazio proves to be better than him in this league, and lets hope he is, he will have done really well. He may have to do it alongside someone other than Jan tho, who may be off soon. Fazio is almost 28 and so will need to get going. Dawson himself is still only 30/31, has a solid PL career behind him, and is still playing in it. Fazio has actually played about 9/10 games now, including cups. And of course, part of the reason he's only played 3 league games is that he hasn't been selected, for whatever reason(s). Lets hope he does really well, but playing CB successfully in this league, with longevity, is tough sledding and so we will see how he does. Keep in mind that Jan, who you'd figure is more highly regarded, has been questioned and has come in for much criticism at times.

Last edited:

i have been to 5 games this year and watched pretty much every game when not playing - Dawson 'OK' in the air? He was also very good in this respect yet like Fazio he suffers from a chronic lack of pace and the propensity to do something clumsy or careless. I hope he does improve but his pace will always hinder him and a Fazio/Verts partnership will always be vulnerable against pace. You are wanting to see something in him, which is fair enough, but I will say this now - his pace and lack of concentration will always make him vulnerable. Hope I am proved wrong, but I doubt it on this one.

i have been to 5 games this year and watched pretty much every game when not playing - Dawson 'OK' in the air? He was also very good in this respect yet like Fazio he suffers from a chronic lack of pace and the propensity to do something clumsy or careless. I hope he does improve but his pace will always hinder him and a Fazio/Verts partnership will always be vulnerable against pace. You are wanting to see something in him, which is fair enough, but I will say this now - his pace and lack of concentration will always make him vulnerable. Hope I am proved wrong, but I doubt it on this one.

There's a massive difference between being vulnerable and not being good enough. Illustrated by many slow centre backs doing well in the PL and elsewhere.

Maybe it was just a case of big, decent, 31 year old defender swapped for a similar player but 3 years younger on half the wages... what were the sales fees, I can't remember

Ok in our team he will consistently be ****. Last time I post on this dude

I hope you have enjoyed having your comments rammed so high up you can feel their sour taste at the back of the throat!

Fazio was BRILLIANT today against a monster of a player in Lukaku who has run us ragged every time we played him in the past. Fazio dominated him all game, won EVERYTHING in the air, made vital blocks, came out with the ball when needed and was simply excellent from start to finish.

So a few games to acclimatise and a consistent CB partner and he begins to play well? surely not....

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Thought he ahd Vertonghen looked good togehter today. Mind you, our problem at CB is more with the other two (Kaboul and Chiriches) who need replacing asap

Thought he ahd Vertonghen looked good togehter today. Mind you, our problem at CB is more with the other two (Kaboul and Chiriches) who need replacing asap

Moreno in for Kaboul, Dier for Vlad.

Brilliant game from Fazio today, looked very confident on the ball also.

I think he & Vertonghen have the makings of an excellent defensive partnership. The pair complement each other's style and seem to be starting to understand each other's game more and more which will come naturally with experience.

Fazio is strong in the air, Vertonghen is strong on the ground. Fazio seems to have good positional sense and whilst slow, sticks with his man where required ensuring that pace isn't required as much as it could be.

I hope you have enjoyed having your comments rammed so high up you can feel their sour taste at the back of the throat!

Fazio was BRILLIANT today against a monster of a player in Lukaku who has run us ragged every time we played him in the past. Fazio dominated him all game, won EVERYTHING in the air, made vital blocks, came out with the ball when needed and was simply excellent from start to finish.

He played very well today along withr every other player on the pitch. Does one game make my comments on him suddenly defunct? Like the last 5 or 6 games didn't happen? What a berk

He played very well today along withr every other player on the pitch. Does one game make my comments on him suddenly defunct? Like the last 5 or 6 games didn't happen? What a berk

But you can accept that to dismiss a complete newcomer to English football after a mere handful of games is at the very least premature (to put it politely)?

I think he & Vertonghen have the makings of an excellent defensive partnership. The pair complement each other's style and seem to be starting to understand each other's game more and more which will come naturally with experience.

Fazio is strong in the air, Vertonghen is strong on the ground. Fazio seems to have good positional sense and whilst slow, sticks with his man where required ensuring that pace isn't required as much as it could be.

Neither is quick, though, and that does worry me a bit. Oh, for another complete centre back like Ledley!

Back