• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

One person can, but he is seemingly happy with Levy’s performance. Levy can’t decide to sell the club, it’s not his to sell.

The manager search took a while, but there are strong suggestions a lot of managers said no, we don’t know the facts or the reasons, but I think it’s safe to assume that we didn’t lie to any of the candidates, that’s not a failing system, or a mistake, it’s business.

Nuno might turn out to be the wrong man, I think it’s too early to conclude that though.

Yes, ENIC have been here a long time, but most of it has been good, progress and improvement have been obvious, they have earned some patience when we take a couple of steps back.

How much time I’d give them is irrelevant, I have no influence.

The managerial search was a shambles. If it had lead to the appointment of a successful manager then Levy would have been vindicated but when it takes far too long AND the manager turns out to be a failure it can hardly be called a success.

I don’t think it’s too early to judge Nuno as a failure. He plays boring, negative football, we don’t create chances and we have conceded 3 goals on four occasions in 10 matches.

Some fans are more patient and supportive of ENIC I do get that but after 20 years I think it’s wrong for people to pedal a narrative that suggests those that have had enough are impatient, knee jerk, entitled etc. I think the bad feeling has been brewing for a few years. The reaction to Poch’s sacking wasn’t overly negative. Even those that loved him could see that Poch was drained and looked incapable of turning things around, some disagree but his sacking wasn’t out of the blue. Jose was a gamble that didn’t pay off. Replacing him with Mason wasn’t an inspired choice. I think a lot of people were underwhelmed when Nuno was brought in but most fans were open minded with the view of “let’s see how it goes”. It feels inevitable that Nuno will get relieved of his duties. It just feels like one mistake too many over a period of 3-5 years.

Gedson, Doherty, Santo. That's what doing favours for Jorge Mendes gets you

Yep. Gedson, Vinicius, Doherty, Mourinho, Nuno.

Ruben Neves is still at Wolves. Pedro Neto is still at Wolves. Diego Jota went to Liverpool. Joao Felix is happy at Atletico. Renato Sanches is still at Lille. Even somewhat passable players like Andre Silva (RB Leipzig), Semedo (went to Wolves), Ait Nouri (likewise) and Rafa Mir (went to Sevilla) skipped us since this connection to that c*nt has emerged.

We got his useless dregs, that's all. Why we bothered is beyond me, but if we haven't already cut the cord, we should be.

Haha, I agree, but I'm sure a lot of fans were moaning back then as well. :p I keep dragging it up, but I remember the end of the 90's - it was the years where my Tottenham interest more or less peaked (I had very little life outside of my interest for Tottenham back then), and we all survived that, so I'm sure we'll survive this slump as well.

Just find some other hobbies, if you don't have any, and do a bit of that as well - works wonders.

Great comment. Other hobbies - woodworking, gardening, building model race cars (diecast metal, not plastic) - works for me. Cooking is also very therapeutic. Good sex solves anything.

Nuno seems a thoroughly decent man, a gent. But it’s difficult to see how he wants his team to play. There doesn’t seem to be any discernible plan to our game. At least not constructively. Players seem to be making it up by themselves out in the pitch.
Player power.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Fapatalk

That’s ironic given quite a lot of our players are not up to the job!!

the players can’t simply pass the buck, maybe Nuno isn’t what we need but frankly their performances have been pathetic, abysmal, embarrassing to watch, and they should all be hanging their heads in shame
Not all some have been trying and some are long overdue gone.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Fapatalk

The one thing I do want to note if Nuno goes tomorrow - I think most of us are united in wishing him well in his next role.

He was out of his depth here from day one - he was here because he was cheap, and was and is a mid-table coach.

But he's also a good guy, who probably tried his best - and the continual storm over the club during his tenure was less down to him than down to the owners who threw him into that position to begin with.

Unlike Mourinho, who was an odious failure on a human and a professional level, Nuno retained his dignity. And in the long run, I don't think anyone at Spurs will hold any ill will towards him.

I’m not convinced it’s so much that Nuno is out of his depth, as it suggests our club as it’s run now is somehow that deep. We’re back to being a top 6 side at best, and Nuno has had a ridiculous amount to deal with in his first few months. I completely agree with you, no one should wish him any ill whatsoever, but I just think our problems run way deeper.

Sacking Poch was terrible, and since then every bad decision has compounded that utterly awful one. So this whole managerial search to appoint Nuno reflects very badly on Levy, if indeed he goes tomorrow. And it reflects really badly on Paratici, since he was the one that made the decision (as is his right) to go for a coach known for solidity and shape rather than possession football.

But this is where I think the problems run deeper. I don’t think Nuno is bad or out of his depth, and I totally see the logic in appointing him. Good guy, create a family atmosphere at the flub, focus on the training pitch and let Paratici handle the football business side. Be willing to work with young players. It’s all there…the logic is sound. I even think the subbing of Moura was a totally sound decision, assuming the logic is United’s back 3 narrowed the middle and Lucas isn’t one to go on the outside.

But basically, I just think the problem is one of alignment. Have said it before. It’s not that Poch was amazing (he was) but it’s that he saw that to be a leader, and really take a club like ours forward, you need that alignment. And he saw when certain players were coming to the end of their cycle with us, their motivations changed, and we needed them moved on else alignment would be lost.

It’s one of those were I think all the individual players in this saga…I can see their logic. Everyone is right to an extent. Poch was obviously right. I understand why Levy thought Jose would be a remedy. I definitely can understand why Jose had some problem with a section of our players that didn’t have the top mentality. And I think Paratici’s moves were understandable (and Levy’s to step back from the football side). And Nuno, I see what he’s trying to do. I think he’s had all manner of problems to deal with, (the red list international breaks, Kane) and I think there are clearly a group of players in this squad that take the tinkle out of this club. Hugo is alluding to it, PEH is alluding to it. Dele and Winks being left at home for a Carabao Game is a really bad sign. Rumour that Reggy was on the beers on Friday night. There is a group that is too willing to down tools if they aren’t playing, or if they can blame the manager, and it means we can never really get some momentum forward.

I’m not sure what the answer is. I think it’s really difficult. At least Levy is trying to step back. But beyond that, I think we need someone who can come into this club, really decisively set a route forward, and people can get on board or fudge off. I don’t think Mason is that person. The bag egg players will give him and his inexperience too many problems. Maybe Conte is. Nuno has probably been on a hiding to nothing because of the very long and very public managerial search. Which means that the players will give it a shake, and the moment cracks will start to appear in results, they’ll let him take the fall because they know he doesn’t have the authority with a two year contract.

So yeah, I’m not sure. And maybe Poch never would have gotten the chance to really establish that authority had Kane’s free kick at Villa never gone in, which makes it all the more a magical moment given what it lead to. It was an absolutely perfect ‘I’m trusting in you young guys ahead of these bag egg pros and you’re gonna take us places’ and that moment validated it all. But the problem is since Poch was sacked we’ve never stuck at something. We didn’t back Jose, and we need someone in the seat who we know we are comfortable sticking with so that the players know the authority of the Manager can’t be questioned. Nuno just doesn’t have that because of the length of his contract and the way he came in.

Maybe we need luck. We need a magical moment that everyone can get behind. Or we need someone like Conte who through sheer self belief in his own ability and through reputation means the players can’t question him and the club will back him over all else, initial results be dammed. But we need to stick at something, we need to be willing to do it. Honestly I think too many players take the tinkle, we have started offering nice wages and we can sign good players who don’t then have the hunger to fight, better themselves and make this club what it means to be when we will still be outcompeted financially.

But until we figure out a path forward that we will actually stick with, be comfortable with it, and get that alignment right across the club back, I think we’ll keep bouncing around these cycles. It’s very sad given how close we came, and no doubt a few people have made some very bad decisions in the last couple of years, but the route forward comes from setting a path and being confident in it. Paratici was clearly trying to say we should be sticking together with Nuno in his comments last month, but if we aren’t going to really back him, we need to find someone we will, and actually do it.

I really hope we can figure it out.

It’s been a prolonged slump over 5 years though mate. And we’ve had 20 years of experience watching ENIC run the club to know they are not going to change their business model that much. I think for some it’s just a natural response/reaction and feeling of frustration after a period of sustained decline that people think it’s time for a change. It’s been 20 years so it’s really not knee jerk. I suppose the question to all the pro-ENIC posters is how bad do we have to get before they change their minds about ENIC?

From heroes to zeros in the space of half a decade… how some timely investment in a few quality items of new furniture might’ve at least kept us in those lucrative CL spots instead of having to endure yet another managerial merry-go-round :(

FE0139DA-1685-4CDE-B69E-9445DAE1069B.jpeg FBD68A17-9EFA-4EE0-8436-5F5E61F68243.jpeg C4CFE8D6-9F84-49ED-B0E7-44FE5601B3D1.jpeg

The squad rebuild has started but the coach isn't very goof. That's evident for me. My big issue was that we hired a defensive counter attacking coach and thought he would play antithetically to his natural disposition. That's insane. From Paratici in particular.
Yup, mind-boggling that we hired a disciple of Mourinho but expected more attractive football :confused:

Whilst Jose is well past their prime at least our star players seemed to respect him but now we’ve got a manager whose methods are dated and he doesn’t even have any track-record of winning major silverware to get our players on board.

The only thing in NES’ favour is that he comes across as an nice bloke but he certainly doesn’t look like he’s on the verge of becoming the next Pochettino or Tuchel.

I’m not convinced it’s so much that Nuno is out of his depth, as it suggests our club as it’s run now is somehow that deep. We’re back to being a top 6 side at best, and Nuno has had a ridiculous amount to deal with in his first few months. I completely agree with you, no one should wish him any ill whatsoever, but I just think our problems run way deeper.

Sacking Poch was terrible, and since then every bad decision has compounded that utterly awful one. So this whole managerial search to appoint Nuno reflects very badly on Levy, if indeed he goes tomorrow. And it reflects really badly on Paratici, since he was the one that made the decision (as is his right) to go for a coach known for solidity and shape rather than possession football.

But this is where I think the problems run deeper. I don’t think Nuno is bad or out of his depth, and I totally see the logic in appointing him. Good guy, create a family atmosphere at the flub, focus on the training pitch and let Paratici handle the football business side. Be willing to work with young players. It’s all there…the logic is sound. I even think the subbing of Moura was a totally sound decision, assuming the logic is United’s back 3 narrowed the middle and Lucas isn’t one to go on the outside.

But basically, I just think the problem is one of alignment. Have said it before. It’s not that Poch was amazing (he was) but it’s that he saw that to be a leader, and really take a club like ours forward, you need that alignment. And he saw when certain players were coming to the end of their cycle with us, their motivations changed, and we needed them moved on else alignment would be lost.

It’s one of those were I think all the individual players in this saga…I can see their logic. Everyone is right to an extent. Poch was obviously right. I understand why Levy thought Jose would be a remedy. I definitely can understand why Jose had some problem with a section of our players that didn’t have the top mentality. And I think Paratici’s moves were understandable (and Levy’s to step back from the football side). And Nuno, I see what he’s trying to do. I think he’s had all manner of problems to deal with, (the red list international breaks, Kane) and I think there are clearly a group of players in this squad that take the tinkle out of this club. Hugo is alluding to it, PEH is alluding to it. Dele and Winks being left at home for a Carabao Game is a really bad sign. Rumour that Reggy was on the beers on Friday night. There is a group that is too willing to down tools if they aren’t playing, or if they can blame the manager, and it means we can never really get some momentum forward.

I’m not sure what the answer is. I think it’s really difficult. At least Levy is trying to step back. But beyond that, I think we need someone who can come into this club, really decisively set a route forward, and people can get on board or fudge off. I don’t think Mason is that person. The bag egg players will give him and his inexperience too many problems. Maybe Conte is. Nuno has probably been on a hiding to nothing because of the very long and very public managerial search. Which means that the players will give it a shake, and the moment cracks will start to appear in results, they’ll let him take the fall because they know he doesn’t have the authority with a two year contract.

So yeah, I’m not sure. And maybe Poch never would have gotten the chance to really establish that authority had Kane’s free kick at Villa never gone in, which makes it all the more a magical moment given what it lead to. It was an absolutely perfect ‘I’m trusting in you young guys ahead of these bag egg pros and you’re gonna take us places’ and that moment validated it all. But the problem is since Poch was sacked we’ve never stuck at something. We didn’t back Jose, and we need someone in the seat who we know we are comfortable sticking with so that the players know the authority of the Manager can’t be questioned. Nuno just doesn’t have that because of the length of his contract and the way he came in.

Maybe we need luck. We need a magical moment that everyone can get behind. Or we need someone like Conte who through sheer self belief in his own ability and through reputation means the players can’t question him and the club will back him over all else, initial results be dammed. But we need to stick at something, we need to be willing to do it. Honestly I think too many players take the tinkle, we have started offering nice wages and we can sign good players who don’t then have the hunger to fight, better themselves and make this club what it means to be when we will still be outcompeted financially.

But until we figure out a path forward that we will actually stick with, be comfortable with it, and get that alignment right across the club back, I think we’ll keep bouncing around these cycles. It’s very sad given how close we came, and no doubt a few people have made some very bad decisions in the last couple of years, but the route forward comes from setting a path and being confident in it. Paratici was clearly trying to say we should be sticking together with Nuno in his comments last month, but if we aren’t going to really back him, we need to find someone we will, and actually do it.

I really hope we can figure it out.
Like this but far too long, spurs fans have a very short attention spans, plus not using the clam word and one fudge really misses your target audience.

I’m talking about something sustainable. Not a relief bounce.

The hope has to be htat we've ploughed piles of cash into stadium and facilities, and similarly in the academy, that they
The one thing I do want to note if Nuno goes tomorrow - I think most of us are united in wishing him well in his next role.

He was out of his depth here from day one - he was here because he was cheap, and was and is a mid-table coach.

But he's also a good guy, who probably tried his best - and the continual storm over the club during his tenure was less down to him than down to the owners who threw him into that position to begin with.

Unlike Mourinho, who was an odious failure on a human and a professional level, Nuno retained his dignity. And in the long run, I don't think anyone at Spurs will hold any ill will towards him.

Agreed. Mourinho was/is vile; Nuno is a decent human being. Both were wrong for Spurs as football managers thugh

Back