• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

Should start by getting rid of that guy that does the half time interviews instead of Paul Coyte.

And the person that made that decision.

We have picked managers that are well past it (Jose) and managers whose philosophy and style of play is at direct odds with our DNA and culture (Jose and Nuno). We went after two negative managers in a row, one of which can barely get his side to muster a shot in target let alone score. And once again, we took MONTHS to replace Jose and what has to be the most embarrassing managerial search in PL history. Money doped clubs didn’t have any effect on either of those decisions. West Ham and Man United aren’t money doped and we didn’t score or barely create anything against either side. A United side that got pumped 5-0 at home less than a week before.

I was thinking longer term than that.

Lol at all the drama queens. I do understand it. I think there was an end of an era thing, where we had been on a fun roller coaster that had been ticking upwards. Now we are feeling the slump. But anyone would think we'd just got relegated. We were twice, fans didn't just walk away then.

It's about identity and philosophy and direction of travel. The things that give you hope when you are hopeless. Like we actually had in 1977, but don't have now.

We need a cure for the Mourinho toxicity. It's got to be an inspiring personality who plays swashbuckling football. Otherwise we repeat this same thing in another 90 days

Should start by getting rid of that guy that does the half time interviews instead of Paul Coyte.

And the person that made that decision.

That decision, and the manner in which it was carried out, actually says a lot about the way in which the club is run.

I was thinking longer term than that.

But football is a results business. They don’t deserve a life pass for the good work they did 5-10 years ago. If we had a great long term manager but he took the club backwards consistently over a period of 5 years we would sack him. What is the difference when it comes to a chairman? Should he just be allowed to keep making the same mistakes over and over because we want to win the right way and are scared of “doing a Leeds” if we sold the club to literally anyone else?

Lol at all the drama queens. I do understand it. I think there was an end of an era thing, where we had been on a fun roller coaster that had been ticking upwards. Now we are feeling the slump. But anyone would think we'd just got relegated. We were twice, fans didn't just walk away then.

Haha, I agree, but I'm sure a lot of fans were moaning back then as well. :p I keep dragging it up, but I remember the end of the 90's - it was the years where my Tottenham interest more or less peaked (I had very little life outside of my interest for Tottenham back then), and we all survived that, so I'm sure we'll survive this slump as well.

Just find some other hobbies, if you don't have any, and do a bit of that as well - works wonders.

It’s been a prolonged slump over 5 years though mate. And we’ve had 20 years of experience watching ENIC run the club to know they are not going to change their business model that much. I think for some it’s just a natural response/reaction and feeling of frustration after a period of sustained decline that people think it’s time for a change. It’s been 20 years so it’s really not knee jerk. I suppose the question to all the pro-ENIC posters is how bad do we have to get before they change their minds about ENIC?

I’m no spring chicken and have never felt so despondent with respect to the club, as a whole.
When a manager/coach gets sacked, as unpleasant as it is..it’s normally at a point where it’s best for all concerned. Previously, I’ve conned myself into thinking there’s an opportunity to get someone in, and move us forward. A relief, some hope. It happened with Poch, but then it went T1ts up, for a variety of reasons.
When the inevitable axe falls on Nuno, I don’t have that hope, whoever we get in. Should I just put on a Smiths CD.. great band joking aside… or can someone give me some hope?

Did you get any hope from us ending up with Nuno after that long managerial search? I sure as fudge didn't, but thought "sure, let's wait and see". That will be gone. The hope is that whoever takes these awful decisions have learned something, or at least shows some sort of reactionary muscle flexing, hiring someone more Ossie-like in his approach, which will hopefully result in something different on the pitch.

Also - new stadium, academy, all that fluff - it's infrastructure that will ultimately help us massively in the years to come. It won't necessarily help us now, but it will be very very useful to us in the years to come. There's always hope!

But football is a results business. They don’t deserve a life pass for the good work they did 5-10 years ago. If we had a great long term manager but he took the club backwards consistently over a period of 5 years we would sack him. What is the difference when it comes to a chairman? Should he just be allowed to keep making the same mistakes over and over because we want to win the right way and are scared of “doing a Leeds” if we sold the club to literally anyone else?

Who can sack him?

Is he making the same mistakes, or different ones, can we judge the competency of an action solely on its outcome?

I agree it is a results business, yet I’ve seen a lot of argument on this, and other social media platforms, that aesthetics are more important.

I think a little patience would benefit everyone right now, the infrastructure improvements are not for nothing.

It’s been a prolonged slump over 5 years though mate. And we’ve had 20 years of experience watching ENIC run the club to know they are not going to change their business model that much. I think for some it’s just a natural response/reaction and feeling of frustration after a period of sustained decline that people think it’s time for a change. It’s been 20 years so it’s really not knee jerk. I suppose the question to all the pro-ENIC posters is how bad do we have to get before they change their minds about ENIC?

I think Levy has done a ton of insanely bad footballing decisions, but you can't really fault him from a business perspective (with the stadium and all that). That legacy isn't worthless, but I agree, that it does look like we're nearing the end of the ENIC era. I think even they are questioning what more they can bring to the table at this point. The question is though, who could we realistically get in as new owners? Would you really like a Saudi/Russian oligarch/oil-money mass murderer type of owner? I sure as fudge wouldn't. And if not ... what are the fudging options? Whoevers got the cash we feel we're somehow entitled to, they've got blood on their hands. Do we accept that or not is the question the way I see it. For me, personally, sticking with someone like ENIC is sadly the only realistic way forward. I just hope Levy can learn a thing or two along the way, and stop repeating the same mistakes (which he admittedly doesn't seem to be doing).

Who can sack him?

Is he making the same mistakes, or different ones, can we judge the competency of an action solely on its outcome?

I agree it is a results business, yet I’ve seen a lot of argument on this, and other social media platforms, that aesthetics are more important.

I think a little patience would benefit everyone right now, the infrastructure improvements are not for nothing.

That’s the problem. No one can and he doesn’t appear to want to relinquish control and sell the club.

He has made a combination of different mistakes (taking an age to replace managers) and old ones (picking the wrong manager). I think we can judge solely on the outcome. Hate to keep beating the same drum but it’s a results business, you ultimately get judged on the outcome. As for the appointment of Nuno and the managerial search as a whole, plenty of us at the time said it was a joke how long it took to appoint the manager but people said “chill out it’s important we get the right man no matter how long it takes”. We actually ended up with the wrong man and it took too long which is the worst of both worlds.

With all due respect mate, we have had 20 years to judge to impatience is not something that can really be levelled at people for thinking it’s time for a change. How much longer would you give them if we get gradually worse or even if we stayed as we are (a mid table side) for another 3-5 years?

For all the talk of forward momentum under Levy’s chairmanship, here we are 8 years down the line playing boring football under a Portuguese coach who seems out of his depth, and who struggles to get his teams to muster a shot on target. Sound familiar?

Daniel also gets a bit of a bye ball when it comes to the stadium. Let’s not forget he seemed fully behind a move to Stratford when he thought it might save him £200 million.

That’s the problem. No one can and he doesn’t appear to want to relinquish control and sell the club.

He has made a combination of different mistakes (taking an age to replace managers) and old ones (picking the wrong manager). I think we can judge solely on the outcome. Hate to keep beating the same drum but it’s a results business, you ultimately get judged on the outcome. As for the appointment of Nuno and the managerial search as a whole, plenty of us at the time said it was a joke how long it took to appoint the manager but people said “chill out it’s important we get the right man no matter how long it takes”. We actually ended up with the wrong man and it took too long which is the worst of both worlds.

With all due respect mate, we have had 20 years to judge to impatience is not something that can really be levelled at people for thinking it’s time for a change. How much longer would you give them if we get gradually worse or even if we stayed as we are (a mid table side) for another 3-5 years?
But they would sell the club… it’s always been out there for sale
The issue is the value they have on the club is just way way too high
And he has relinquished control of the football side to Paratici

One person can, but he is seemingly happy with Levy’s performance. Levy can’t decide to sell the club, it’s not his to sell.

The manager search took a while, but there are strong suggestions a lot of managers said no, we don’t know the facts or the reasons, but I think it’s safe to assume that we didn’t lie to any of the candidates, that’s not a failing system, or a mistake, it’s business.

Nuno might turn out to be the wrong man, I think it’s too early to conclude that though.

Yes, ENIC have been here a long time, but most of it has been good, progress and improvement have been obvious, they have earned some patience when we take a couple of steps back.

How much time I’d give them is irrelevant, I have no influence.

For all the talk of forward momentum under Levy’s chairmanship, here we are 8 years down the line playing boring football under a Portuguese coach who seems out of his depth, and who struggles to get his teams to muster a shot on target. Sound familiar?

Daniel also gets a bit of a bye ball when it comes to the stadium. Let’s not forget he seemed fully behind a move to Stratford when he thought it might save him £200 million.

No

Would you really like a Saudi/Russian oligarch/oil-money mass murderer type of owner? I sure as fudge wouldn't.
Wouldn't you? Respect to you if you could follow through on that and walk away but if I'm honest with myself I don't think I could, Spurs are too much a part of who I am.
I'm 45, I like most here have had decades of dissapointment the thought of not being a part of a truly successful Spurs era I just can't imagine it.
I came back to the UK after living abroard for a couple of years peak Poch 2016 and bumped into somebody I hadn't seen in 20 years, it was amazing, I get goosebumps just thinking about it, we were bouncing like little kids, he's in his 60s and we just talked Spurs for 3 hours, I don't think I could pass that bounce up and I really don't like that about me but it's the truth.
Sorry about the ramble, had a Beer and I don't normally drink.

The one thing I do want to note if Nuno goes tomorrow - I think most of us are united in wishing him well in his next role.

He was out of his depth here from day one - he was here because he was cheap, and was and is a mid-table coach.

But he's also a good guy, who probably tried his best - and the continual storm over the club during his tenure was less down to him than down to the owners who threw him into that position to begin with.

Unlike Mourinho, who was an odious failure on a human and a professional level, Nuno retained his dignity. And in the long run, I don't think anyone at Spurs will hold any ill will towards him.

The one thing I do want to note if Nuno goes tomorrow - I think most of us are united in wishing him well in his next role.

He was out of his depth here from day one - he was here because he was cheap, and was and is a mid-table coach.

But he's also a good guy, who probably tried his best - and the continual storm over the club during his tenure was less down to him than down to the owners who threw him into that position to begin with.

Unlike Mourinho, who was an odious failure on a human and a professional level, Nuno retained his dignity. And in the long run, I don't think anyone at Spurs will hold any ill will towards him.

Gedson, Doherty, Santo. That's what doing favours for Jorge Mendes gets you

Back