• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Its pretty obvious to the majority of Spurs fans that there is something wrong there. They are full of their own importance and believe in fairytails.

Come on, mate. They grate occasionally, but their hearts are in the right place, and they're the only mechanism we have to question Levy and the board at times. I'm glad they exist, glad I'm a member, and I hope the fan-led review establishes the roles of supporters' trusts in football governance more broadly.

Mate, I lived in the UAE. Believe me, the Saudis had nothing to do with how the UAE murdered journalists, disappeared ordinary people or tortured children in its prisons.They may have followed Riyadh's lead in Yemen (and even there, I don't think it quite worked that way - the most bloodthirsty mercenaries were Emirati, not Saudi). But SA had nothing to do with their domestic policy.

I'm not saying you're a fan - I don't think you're a fan of despots at all. But I'm pointing out how the perceptions are different, when really they're all scumbags - and in the case of the UAE and Saudi Arabia, literally equivalent scumbags, except the UAE lets more Westerners wear shorts on the beach so they have a slightly gentler image.

I never lived in the expensive, Westernized bits of Dubai - I lived in the poor neighborhoods of Karama, Jebel Ali and Deira. Life was alright, as long as you kept your head down. But if you didn't, you basically had no rights and an Emirati could have you tossed in prison for any reason at all. And if you were a critical journalist, GHod save you if the government decided it didn't like you.

If you hate the idea of Salman owning a club, you should hate the idea of Mansour owning a club. And the Qataris, that lovely state where homosexuality still earns the death penalty and torture is a byword for prison life. They tortured a journalist to death in their prisons a little over a year ago - come on, they're no different.

you know what, fair enough about the UAE the fact that you have actually lived there makes you far more qualified than me to comment, I’m Turkish Cypriot and know more about the Middle East than most western commentators although I am by no means an expert.

Tell me if I am wrong, but the UAE practices a similar Whabi (Saudi born and fostered) influenced way of ruling, is that not the case? Are they not politically influenced by the Saudis? Is my assertion that they are little more than a satellite state of the Saudis far off?

politically I know more about the Qatari’s. And I honestly think they can’t be compared, although in some ways it’s still a medieval regime… but that says more about how bad the Saudis are.

Come on, mate. They grate occasionally, but their hearts are in the right place, and they're the only mechanism we have to question Levy and the board at times. I'm glad they exist, glad I'm a member, and I hope the fan-led review establishes the roles of supporters' trusts in football governance more broadly.

Well i can not agree with that at all and thankfully most Spurs fans ( i come across) feel the same way about them as i do, but Stop! Hammer time.

Mate, I lived in the UAE. Believe me, the Saudis had nothing to do with how the UAE murdered journalists, disappeared ordinary people or tortured children in its prisons.They may have followed Riyadh's lead in Yemen (and even there, I don't think it quite worked that way - the most bloodthirsty mercenaries were Emirati, not Saudi). But SA had nothing to do with their domestic policy.

I'm not saying you're a fan - I don't think you're a fan of despots at all. But I'm pointing out how the perceptions are different, when really they're all scumbags - and in the case of the UAE and Saudi Arabia, literally equivalent scumbags, except the UAE lets more Westerners wear shorts on the beach so they have a slightly gentler image.

I never lived in the expensive, Westernized bits of Dubai - I lived in the poor neighborhoods of Karama, Jebel Ali and Deira. Life was alright, as long as you kept your head down. But if you didn't, you basically had no rights and an Emirati could have you tossed in prison for any reason at all. And if you were a critical journalist, GHod save you if the government decided it didn't like you.

If you hate the idea of Salman owning a club, you should hate the idea of Mansour owning a club. And the Qataris, that lovely state where homosexuality still earns the death penalty and torture is a byword for prison life. They tortured a journalist to death in their prisons a little over a year ago - come on, they're no different.
Are you from Dubai?

you know what, fair enough about the UAE the fact that you have actually lived there makes you far more qualified than me to comment, I’m Turkish Cypriot and know more about the Middle East than most western commentators although I am by no means an expert.

Tell me if I am wrong, but the UAE practices a similar Whabi (Saudi born and fostered) influenced way of ruling, is that not the case? Are they not politically influenced by the Saudis? Is my assertion that they are little more than a satellite state of the Saudis far off?

politically I know more about the Qatari’s. And I honestly think they can’t be compared, although in some ways it’s still a medieval regime… but that says more about how bad the Saudis are.
Can you share more on Whabi please?

one thing I do know …. I worked for a very large security company with a presence in the whole of that region
We had an office in Saudi, and my boss went out there. He found it as expected until he was invited to a member beach club where everyone was getting drunk
Our biggest contract out there was keeping security on booze. The FD showed me the coutures and it was mental how much drink they had stocked up

Daniel Levy and Joe Lewis don't think in terms of morals, and they don't run Spurs that way. So ethics don't come into it, imo, unless you want to boast about being marginally less unethical than outright murderers or slave owners. Their one and only priority is that Spurs will always be at zero-cost to them - that's literally all they care about, and always will.
Oh dear.

Could they be anymore under your skin?

That's a sh*t show of a paragraph.

Are you from Dubai?

No, but I did live there for two decades. Hence the username. :)

Oh dear.

Could they be anymore under your skin?

That's a sh*t show of a paragraph.

Eh. They' re definitely under my skin because they own the club I love and we can't dream while they' re here. The day they leave, they cease to be my problem, and I wish them a happy life with their profits. I do feel pity for the fans of the next club they pick up, though.

Well i can not agree with that at all and thankfully most Spurs fans ( i come across) feel the same way about them as i do, but Stop! Hammer time.

Fair enough - we disagree on that. Folks I mset up with have split views on the Trust - some don't care it exists, some don't like it, some like it for what it is - an attempt to give powerless fans a voice. So there's definitely variation!

Fair enough, but I'm not suggesting you know less about the UAE because you haven't lived there - anyone can have an informed view on anything, imo. :) It's just that it doesn't align with my understanding of the UAE's stance, which is a bit more nuanced than being Riyadh's catspaw.

The UAE's governance system is based on Islamic jurisprudence, like every other GCC country. But they've had to adopt a less rigid interpretation of that than Saudi Arabia, because of their circumstances - in SA, the Royal Family has had to battle the Wahhabis and (before them) other flavors of religious fundamentalists for a century or so in the court of public opinion, with many Saudis feeling, implicitly or explicitly, that the royal family is illegitimate. To keep them onside, the Saudis have enforced strict interpretations of Islamic law - with varying success, and even as other royal family members openly flout that same Islamic law.

The UAE also has ruling families, but three things make it a little different - firstly, the country only rose to global prominence in the 1990s, and as late as 1999, Dubai was still a collection of in-construction high-rises on a dusty coastal road. Secondly, their oil reserves won't last as long as Saudi Arabia's. Thirdly, the native Emirati population is incredibly small as a proportion of the country's total population - maybe 10% or so, with the rest being immigrants.

In light of these factors, the UAE adopted a governance model that was basically as autocratic as Saudi Arabia, but with a veneer of openness in order to become a tourist, travel and finance hub for the GCC region. All the cruelty, torture of prisoners and murder of journalists that underlies Saudi Arabia' s governance exists in the UAE - it's just more hidden from public view, and Westerners are shown a limited slice of the country to keep them onside, like the beaches and resorts of Dubai where Islamic law isn't enforced as strictly (while in neighboring Sharjah, a few kilometres away, it absolutely is).

As for foreign policy, in the mid-2000s, the UAE made a major play to lead the GCC region, often butting up against Riyadh. That was when they were flying high pre- financial crisis. Since 2008, they've fallen in line with SA on geopolitics since they share common enemies (Iran) and interests (preservation of GCC and Sunni influence in the world and the wider Middle East). But it's more like the relationship between, say, the UK and the US, than a true client state relationship - common interests, common alliances, but not identical by any means.

Eh. They' re definitely under my skin because they own the club I love and we can't dream while they' re here. The day they leave, they cease to be my problem, and I wish them a happy life with their profits. I do feel pity for the fans of the next club they pick up, though.

I'm intrigued. When poch got us through the most amazing semifinal against ajax, when he balled his eyes out on the pitch, and we then reached the final, were you dreaming then? I know I was. Fairly sure the ownership of the club was the same as it is now that day....

Depends what you want mate - do you want to foster 'togetherness'? If so, you have no choice but to meet with the Trust, because they are fans of the club and will be around long after Levy & Lewis have made their billions and dumped us. And that's what I thought you said we needed - 'togetherness'.

You don't do that by running away from the fans who will be here long after you because you're scared they'll ask you to ask your boss to cough up some dough.

And believe me, the Trust are not 'Levy outists'. I wish they were, but they're just ordinary folks frustrated with the deadweights in charge. I'm certainly happy they're coming around to seeing things the way I do, though. ;)

They literally called for the resignation of Levy and the whole Board. That sounds quite definitely “Levy outist”.

trust board members, you stated they would be there (I assume in the trust) long after levy has gone.

I have been a spurs fan for longer than 20 years, but fûck me I lm not not qualified more than Levy to tell him what’s best for the club.
You’re more qualified than he is to tell him (for example) that moving to Stratford isn’t something the club should try to do.

Nah - you misunderstood, or I was unclear, mate. They will be at Spurs, long after Levy makes his enormous profit and sods off with Lewis.

As for whether you're more qualified than Levy, I'd say instead that you have more of a stake in the club than he does, because you care about it as a community and a sporting entity and not a line on Joe Lewis' portfolio.
I slightly disagree with you here…. I think even if ENIC sell their stake Levy may stay on. Under a majority owner who has more of an ambition for the club to win trophies he may even do a great job.

And your now in Canada aren’t you?
Where is your homeland?
Sorry, I’m not trying to rude but I love to know the diversity we have here

They literally called for the resignation of Levy and the whole Board. That sounds quite definitely “Levy outist”.
There definitely levy outists which is why they have lost their impartiality
It’s a shame as their passion for the club is exceptional
But their PR (considering it’s the job of a few of them) is shocking IMO
There are many ways to manage the message but they always manage to sound demanding and aloof. In person the ones I’ve met are nothing like that

I only want levy to give a proper footballing budget that is competitive, and then let those he appoint to run football manage it independently.
That's a win-win and sustainable way to grow the THFC brand from the footballing angle. How much is competitive - that's going to be whats residual after we max out non football revenue and Levy and his hokeys take their share. The EPL should publish salaries and bonuses of everyone significant in football - including all the executives at the club. If levy is top paid Chairman - i am going to expect that we have the top paid cfo, cto etc. A shame but that's how business runs. But if whatever is left is "competitive" - allowing the team to continue to build and grow and flexibility to trade talents to increase coffers - I have no complaints

Back