• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

My parents have both had it, my dad spent the start of January in hospital for a week with it, he is home now but still weak (immuno compromised) but this news is great. He was due to have his first jab while he was in hospital so we have delayed it for a few weeks till he can get another slot.

It would be great to see what happens to those who had it over a year ago, does the reinfection (if it occurs) have less lethality?
My mum spent most of Jan in hospital and just found out she had Covid Pneumonia - she only has appx 60% lung capacity in normal times so pneumonia was always her biggest risk factor.
Thankfully she made it through and recovering at home now - it may have affected her lungs even more, only time will tell. But it seems oxygen, antibiotics and time are key.

I'm pretty sure I've had it twice and the second one my body seemed to deal with in a relatively routine way, in a similar way to how it would with flu/similar. Can't say for certain, but my very basic understanding of how TCells work it makes sense.

Sorry to hear about your parents, hope your dad makes a full recovery.

My 86 year old uncle caught coronavirus when there was an outbreak at his care home last summer but thankfully didn’t require hospitalisation and is back to his usual (cantankerous) self.

Looks like those who’ve suffered a previous infection only require one dose of vaccine to get best immune response, so that should reduce the amount of vaccine required to safely achieve herd immunity.

Do note though that the article from the BMJ is referring to a single dose of a mRNA vaccine ie Pfizer/Modena as satisfactory for the pre-infected.

Not sure if Oxford data is to follow or already discounted as not effective in the same scenario?

Logistically you'd assume the Oxford vaccine is the one of choice from the government pov currently.

A vaccine to tackle the coronavirus variants could be ready to deploy by the autumn, the team behind the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine says.

Prof Andy Pollard, from Oxford University, said they were already planning to tweak the vaccine.

He said it was a relatively quick process - and would only need small trials to be done before roll-out.

There is still strong evidence existing vaccines work well against the mutations that have emerged.

Although their overall effectiveness may be weakened a little.

The comments came after results released by the team showed the first evidence the vaccine can reduce the chances of people catching and passing on the virus, which has always been uncertain.

The data, which has not yet been published or reviewed, showed vaccination with the Oxford-AZ jab could cut transmission by up to 67%.

This means the vaccine could significantly slow the spread of the virus, potentially allowing restrictions to be lifted more quickly.

Previous studies have already shown the vaccine is good at preventing serious illness and death from Covid-19 in those given the jab.

Health Secretary Matt Hanrooster said the results were "absolutely superb" and showed vaccines are "the way out of this pandemic".

But he said the "on-going challenge" would be for vaccine manufacturers to keep up with what the virus is doing.

There is most concern about the South African variant, which shows signs of being able to escape some of the protective effect of the vaccines. There are already signs this has begun circulating in some parts of the UK, prompting surge testing to be introduced into parts of London, Surrey, Kent, Hertfordshire and Southport.

The mutation - called E484K - has also been detected in some of the infections caused by UK strains that are circulating in parts of Bristol and Liverpool.

Prof Pollard said his team were already looking at updating the vaccine to make it more effective against the mutations that are being seen.

"I think the actual work on designing a new vaccine is very, very quick because it's essentially just switching out the genetic sequence for the spike protein.

"And then there's manufacturing to do and then a small scale study. So all of that can be completed in a very short period of time, and the autumn is really the timing for having new vaccines available for use," he said.

My mum spent most of Jan in hospital and just found out she had Covid Pneumonia - she only has appx 60% lung capacity in normal times so pneumonia was always her biggest risk factor.
Thankfully she made it through and recovering at home now - it may have affected her lungs even more, only time will tell. But it seems oxygen, antibiotics and time are key.

I'm pretty sure I've had it twice and the second one my body seemed to deal with in a relatively routine way, in a similar way to how it would with flu/similar. Can't say for certain, but my very basic understanding of how TCells work it makes sense.

This is exactly what my old man had, pneumonia in both lungs, luckily they don't rush folk on to ventilator and IV antibiotics flushed it to a point he can now be at home. He still is no where near his old self!

Standard, who knows what they are putting in it, etc, etc
Oh dear.
We all know what they are putting in it though, and it’s brilliant how they’ve done it.

It’s just an RNA sequence to provoke the body to build the protein spike only, which is essential for the coronavirus to enter our bodies cells.

Once our immune systems then recognise that spike, they are trained to attack it and have the ‘defence code’ ready to go. Genius!

Oh dear.
We all know what they are putting in it though, and it’s brilliant how they’ve done it.

It’s just an RNA sequence to provoke the body to build the protein spike only, which is essential for the coronavirus to enter our bodies cells.

Once our immune systems then recognise that spike, they are trained to attack it and have the ‘defence code’ ready to go. Genius!
I know I know !!!
Even her Dad has had no joy with her and she listens pretty much to him only

Back