• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

its fluff and irrelevant! It’s a distraction put out by a ‘Dominic Cummings’ and look it worked!:)

More looking forward to seeing how this app helps!

it would have been huge news had they not been able to get close.

Has Cummings been making the press ask these questions every single day for a month? Forget about personal voting bias and just think logically. Not just you you by the way.

I dont think the government have made huge mistakes. I think they have made mistakes and the are things we can and will do better next time. Got to say it seems to me people with health conditions that are dying. If someone with Parkinson's like me can recover then it tells you how unfit some in this country really are.

Stopping the testing and contact tracing was a huge mistake. It meant you lost control of the virus in the community. It has contributed to thousands more of deaths imho

The three people in the top team contracting the coronavirus at the same time was borderline negligent. It hindered the progression of the government strategy at a critical time.

When you lose your loved ones and friends and family have been infected in the course of their work because of failings with PPE and testing. It is absolutely correct to hold the government to account. Can't believe how blase people are being on here. You are lucky not to have lost anyone, which I am glad about btw.

Last edited:
So, this week alone we’ve had:

“We are past the peak”: 739 UK deaths today and over 6,000 new infections recorded yesterday.

“We met our target of 100,000 daily tests”: today’s figure includes 40,000 tests sent out through the post but yet to be completed.

“We’re doing everything we can to suppress the virus”: UK airports are welcoming over 100,000 people each week, including many from coronavirus hotspots around the world, with absolutely no testing or quarantining measures in place.

“We’ve been on top of the care home situation since the start”: care home chiefs and workers continue to slate the government’s handling of the crisis on a daily basis.

But never mind; we’ve got spitfire fly-pasts to enjoy; pensioners doing laps of their gardens to raise money for services that should be publicly funded; a national newspaper scrabbling around to bring in urgently needed PPE; and we all get to clap each week for the same people who had their pay rise voted down two years ago by those who now venerate them as heroes at daily press conferences.

Here’s the link for those who can’t remember that:

And the UK laughs at Trump...

Stopping the testing and contact tracing was a huge mistake. It meant you lost control of the virus in the community. It has contributed to thousands more of deaths imho

The three people in the top team contracting the coronavirus at the same time was borderline negligent. It hindered the progression of the government strategy at a critical time.

When you lose your loved ones and friends and family have been infected in the course of their work because of failings with PPE and testing. It is absolutely correct to hold the government to account. Can't believe how blase people are being on here. You are lucky not to have lost anyone, which I am glad about btw.

I think stopping tracing the virus is a mistake as well. But apart from Germany i think a lot of European countries had similar issues. From what i heard the scientists say at the time was that they thought the virus had escaped containment phase

I think Cheltenham was a mistake which was because of Boris wanting to be a libertarian and not forcing people into things. As much as i hate blair he would not have waited.

Think it would have been the best thing would have been to pretty much copy what South Korea were doing as they had experience of pandemics, not sure why the government did not do that.

So the initial govt advice was that if we locked down too soon people would hit a limit and begin to ignore the advice. It was important the bit of the lockdown that people obeyed coincided with the peak transmission of the virus.

I seem to recall a lot of doubters at the time. Can anyone still hold that position with any intellectual or moral integrity whatsoever? Especially in the light of the rapid daily increases in road traffic and footfall in and around shops.

So the initial govt advice was that if we locked down too soon people would hit a limit and begin to ignore the advice. It was important the bit of the lockdown that people obeyed coincided with the peak transmission of the virus.

I seem to recall a lot of doubters at the time. Can anyone still hold that position with any intellectual or moral integrity whatsoever? Especially in the light of the rapid daily increases in road traffic and footfall in and around shops.

In hindsight, delaying the lockdown must have been a mistake? The R number that the government are now banging on about must have gone up massively during that period of delay. Part of the reason we are still in lockdown is because we didn't act quickly enough? Lockdown fast, stop the virus spreading, test and track infected people, exit lockdown.

Is there any doubt that acting faster would have saved many lives and businesses?

I have no political affiliation to a party it just seems obvious.

In hindsight, delaying the lockdown must have been a mistake? The R number that the government are now banging on about must have gone up massively during that period of delay. Part of the reason we are still in lockdown is because we didn't act quickly enough? Lockdown fast, stop the virus spreading, test and track infected people, exit lockdown.

Is there any doubt that acting faster would have saved many lives and businesses?

I know the start dates of lockdown varied but has the length of lockdown varied? Genuinely don't know?

Had we locked down sooner, people would have started spending more time out and about sooner.

That would have coincided with the peak of the infection rate.

Had the same thought. Over the past week or so, the traffic passing my house has been at a multiple of what it was even two weeks back. As I write this, the background traffic noise is non-stop. Indistinguishable from 'normal'.

I'd imagine the criticism that the govt were 'slow' to lockdown will start to quieten as it becomes apparent to more people that the 'lockdown' is coming apart at the seams.

But had we locked down sooner, the peak may have been reached earlier (less spread of the virus, fewer infections) with fewer mortalities?

I do think the type of 'lock-down' we have in the UK has in itself created the circumstances where people can more easily begin to ignore the advice. ('Advice' being a key term). It has been less stringent than some other European countries and enforcement has been on a persuasive rather than a punitive basis. There are arguments in favour of that overall approach of course but a lock down environment where there's really nothing stopping me going out ten times a day if I were so inclined, where I can travel for non-essential work, where DIY stores are re-opening their doors etc. is almost designed to encourage people to start relaxing their adherence. Add to that the PM announcing with a flourish that we have now passed the peak, it's not really a surprise to see more people out and about.

But had we locked down sooner, the peak may have been reached earlier (less spread of the virus, fewer infections) with fewer mortalities?

I do think the type of 'lock-down' we have in the UK has in itself created the circumstances where people can more easily begin to ignore the advice. ('Advice' being a key term). It has been less stringent than some other European countries and enforcement has been on a persuasive rather than a punitive basis. There are arguments in favour of that overall approach of course but a lock down environment where there's really nothing stopping me going out ten times a day if I were so inclined, where I can travel for non-essential work, where DIY stores are re-opening their doors etc. is almost designed to encourage people to start relaxing their adherence. Add to that the PM announcing with a flourish that we have now passed the peak, it's not really a surprise to see more people out and about.

Agree with most of what you say, but my experience was that the numbers flouting the restrictions had very clearly jumped prior to him saying that.

I know the start dates of lockdown varied but has the length of lockdown varied? Genuinely don't know?
We went into "lockdown" here in Vienna on the 16th of March and they started easing it on the 14th April ,small shops and DIY stores reopened and you have to wear a mask in shops etc. Then every 2 weeks they ease a bit more. Since yesterday we move around freely, staying 1m away, then on the 15th May galleries, cafes,restaurants and bars can reopen with social distancing and they can open only until 9 pm and on the 29th May Hotels can reopen.
But you can´t compare Austria to the UK, London has a bigger population than the whole country and up to yesterday there have only been 15,477 positive tested cases

Agree with most of what you say, but my experience was that the numbers flouting the restrictions had very clearly jumped prior to him saying that.

Yes, I have noticed the same. But I think we will see those numbers increase even more now that the message is we are on the way down from the danger point. Just have to hope it doesn't lead to a false sense of security.

Yes, I have noticed the same. But I think we will see those numbers increase even more now that the message is we are on the way down from the danger point. Just have to hope it doesn't lead to a false sense of security.

Which is i guess why the government and their advisors did not want to release the information till they were ready.

Had the same thought. Over the past week or so, the traffic passing my house has been at a multiple of what it was even two weeks back. As I write this, the background traffic noise is non-stop. Indistinguishable from 'normal'.

I'd imagine the criticism that the govt were 'slow' to lockdown will start to quieten as it becomes apparent to more people that the 'lockdown' is coming apart at the seams.
I had to queue onto a roundabout on my commute yesterday. At the start of the lockdown I could drive to work and barely see another car.

Back