• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Zaha

It is entirely possible N'Jie just may not be good enough as you say, but whatever he sees in Zaha is not obvious to most. I do see traits in Zaha that could be nurtured into something good with the judicious use of cattle prods and nipple electrodes, but is that where we are now or should we be aiming a tad higher?
I love Poch, my favourite manager since the last one, but he is not infallible in the transfer market and neither is the dark cube. And you don't have to look further than my first sentence for an example. Transfers are hit and miss, and yes we've had some recent notable successes but not all are. Zaha is not better than any player in the 1st eleven and that is what I think we should be looking for now.

You are right, but perhaps this is why Mitchell has gone? Poch not fancying his players and putting more faith in his own judgement (Zaha? Wanyama?) than the black box (Njie?). I'm just speculating of course.

I'd argue that, last season, our first XI was good enough to win the league, but the squad players were not. We have addressed that big-time with Jannsen and Wanyama. Now it seems that the Son/Chadli/NJie squad places are being upgraded (in the eyes of Poch) with the lad from Marseilles and, perhaps, Zaha.

You are right, but perhaps this is why Mitchell has gone? Poch not fancying his players and putting more faith in his own judgement (Zaha? Wanyama?) than the black box (Njie?). I'm just speculating of course.

I'd argue that, last season, our first XI was good enough to win the league, but the squad players were not. We have addressed that big-time with Jannsen and Wanyama. Now it seems that the Son/Chadli/NJie squad places are being upgraded (in the eyes of Poch) with the lad from Marseilles and, perhaps, Zaha.
An interesting slant on it and one I choose to believe tonight because of alcohol.

Our first 11 was good enough to win it last season and frustratingly didn't. Boo. This season will be harder because of the small fortunes that have been spent bolstering already ridiculously expensive squads. I guess if you throw enough money at a problem you will solve it eventually. Are the new players better than those leaving? Not too sure on this. Janssen and Wanyama look good but I still think there was a place for Son and Chadli. Bah, what do I know.

Doesn't make sense, other than as a smokescreen. Zaha is just a younger version of Lennon, only not as good.

Critically though, he is a beast. Big guy, strong. Perhaps Poch feels he is coachable to a point of big improvement, and if he is, then we would have a fantastic player for his way of playing...

This is 100% true. More broadly, we don't have players versed in both quick movement and (crucially) close control in extremely tight spaces. We have a lot of one, and a lot of the other - we've only got an approximation of a mix of both (mainly in Lamela and Dembele).

However, I think there are far better players than Zaha that we could target if we had a mite of ambition. Actually, given that Zaha might cost 15m + Chadli (a dismaying thought, given how important Nacer's been at times over the last few seasons), there are probably better/ more high-potential players we could target for the same price range, like Boufal from Lille (who is the subject of a 20-odd million bid from Saints) or Pulisic from Dortmund (whom Liverpool are bidding for, iirc).

Again the critical differences are sheer size (Zaha is a beast) and also Premiership-readiness. As for Pulisic, I have to say I think he is really over-hyped.

Again the critical differences are sheer size (Zaha is a beast) and also Premiership-readiness. As for Pulisic, I have to say I think he is really over-hyped.

You're right, I hadn't considered his size, although his readiness for the PL shouldn't factor as much, imo. A big lad who can dribble very well, a rare combination - however, this is offset by zero footballing intelligence, sub-par shooting ability and a record that doesn't scream 'productive' in terms of goals and assists. Hmm - is he worth 15m + Chadli? Hard to argue yes, even with that new perspective.

As for Pulisic, daily life sometimes brings me into contact with football-loving Americans from down south - suffice it to say, they disagree with you. :)

Njie has pace and knows the club already

He also looked OK when he had his chances

I just don't get this one at all

Agree

I think what we are seeing in Poch is a manager who isn't scared of quickly dumping players who don't meet with his expectations or plans going forward.

He will buy them and have the chance to work with them closely but if they are not up to scratch then they will be sold, even after one season.

Njie isn't quite good enough in his opinion, so let's get rid and buy Zaha. If a year down the line Zaha proves to be useless and not able to improve then he will be out too. This just may be the kind of revolving door we have to get used to with certain players until Poch finds the gems he can work with.

The same will apply with the academy kids. He is afraid to quickly sell youngsters who aren't up to his standards.

It's actually a very interesting no nonense approach where standards are high and everyone knows they have to perform effectively in order to be part of Poch's plans.

Agree

I think what we are seeing in Poch is a manager who isn't scared of quickly dumping players who don't meet with his expectations or plans going forward.

He will buy them and have the chance to work with them closely but if they are not up to scratch then they will be sold, even after one season.

Njie isn't quite good enough in his opinion, so let's get rid and buy Zaha. If a year down the line Zaha proves to be useless and not able to improve then he will be out too. This just may be the kind of revolving door we have to get used to with certain players until Poch finds the gems he can work with.

The same will apply with the academy kids. He is afraid to quickly sell youngsters who aren't up to his standards.

It's actually a very interesting no nonense approach where standards are high and everyone knows they have to perform effectively in order to be part of Poch's plans.

In that case we should just skip the part where we buy Zaha and move to the point where we have gotten rid.

I saw a lot of Zaha the season Palace got promoted and he was very, very good (against lower level opposition of course).

Since his transfer away he's lost a lot of confidence, partly IMO due to the complete lack of decent training, tactics, manager, etc at Utd.

I don't believe this stuff about attitude - this is a kid who got a dream move to Utd but continued to work his arse off for the team for the rest of the season when he could have just coasted. He was also very much a team player before that transfer too.

I don't know if he's too far gone mentally for us to fix him, but there's a lot of potential in there if we can.

In that case we should just skip the part where we buy Zaha and move to the point where we have gotten rid.

but Poch thinks Zaha is the new Ronaldo......unfortunately Poch will need to see close up how wrong he is

You're right, I hadn't considered his size, although his readiness for the PL shouldn't factor as much, imo. A big lad who can dribble very well, a rare combination - however, this is offset by zero footballing intelligence, sub-par shooting ability and a record that doesn't scream 'productive' in terms of goals and assists. Hmm - is he worth 15m + Chadli? Hard to argue yes, even with that new perspective.

As for Pulisic, daily life sometimes brings me into contact with football-loving Americans from down south - suffice it to say, they disagree with you. :)

The Shagger is infuriating. What a talent yet a bit of a blagger!

If Zaha is so good, how come Townsend, yes TOWNSEND has ousted him from a very average Palace team?

Agree

Except for Wanyama

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I saw a lot of Zaha the season Palace got promoted and he was very, very good (against lower level opposition of course).

Since his transfer away he's lost a lot of confidence, partly IMO due to the complete lack of decent training, tactics, manager, etc at Utd.

I don't believe this stuff about attitude - this is a kid who got a dream move to Utd but continued to work his arse off for the team for the rest of the season when he could have just coasted. He was also very much a team player before that transfer too.

I don't know if he's too far gone mentally for us to fix him, but there's a lot of potential in there if we can.

I remember hearing something interesting about Zaha under Moyes on one of the many football podcasts last season.
Some journo saying that every time Zaha made any type of mistake in training Moyes would be on to him saying that's not the touch of a £15m player.
Seems that Moyes completely knocked the confidence out of him.

This is going to run and run, right up to midnight on deadline day. A complete war of ceaseless attrition, with Spurs tirelessly making tiny incremental improvements to parts of the deal (while deprecating other parts) in the resolute attempt to weaken Palace's 'No sale' stance - their collective arm in tatters from repeatedly picking up the telephone and say 'no, thanks. please stop calling us'.

Then won't happen.

Back