• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group H - Belgium, Algeria, Russia, South Korea

Which two teams will progress to the next round?

• Belgium and Algeria

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Belgium and Russia

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Belgium and South Korea

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Algeria and Russia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Algeria and South Korea

• Russia and South Korea

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I disagree with most of your points.
First of all, it isn't objective to compare USSR and Russia. USSR had many great players from other social republics like Ukraine, Georgia. Overall our former country had much better sport quality and pride (mainly because of communistic regime).
When you mention two previous world cups where we played, you should speak about the famous "Letter of Fourteen" which was written just before the final part of USA-94 and resulted in not participating of several key players on world cup because of money bonuses.
The 2002 though was a disgrace which resulted in mass disorders in Moscow.

Capello defenitely earns more than he should, but it's how the things stand in Russian football. You gain any kind of quality only overpaying.
Those who think Capello hasn't done anything important and meaningful with our national team, don't watch us closely.
Previous coach, guest perfomer dingdong Advocaat was a total mess. He visited about 2 RPL games in a month (preferably games of Zenit, which he coached several years before). There was no order in the team and its players consisted mainly from Zenit players, who are poisoned with money. Arshavin was their "ideologist". It resulted in a disgrace of Euro-2012, when this "captain" said on camera, that expectations of Russians (I should mention these expectations included progressing to play-off, which was pretty easy to achieve after starting spectacular win against Czech Republic) are only our problems.

Capello instantly brought an order, dispersed Zenit's gang. Train sessions have become much tougher than under two Dutch coaches before. Capello visited at least 1 RPL match (but often 2 or even 3) in a week. He brought several young or new players to the squad. If you look at our triumphal team of Euro-2008, you'll find only 4-5 faces in our current squad. And nearly all of them are defensive minded players.

Debate about Akinfeev is interesting and many-sided. I'll make a post in a day or two, telling what I know and how the situation with his carrer and yesterday's howler is judjed here, in Russia. But I have no doubt Capello shouldn't repeat his Robert Green experience with changing the goalkeeper and Akinfeev should play against Belgium. Although these situations are quite similar, they're different as well. Mainly because of mass-media who ate Green alive. Akinfeev gets enough support and shouldn't go mentally negative as Robert did.

I didn't see any problems with mentality of players except Akinfeev and may be Shatov yesterday. Think this fact wasn't mentioned but Russia became round 1 best country in terms of workrate: ~113.8 km of distance covered. 2nd Germany with ~111.6. It proves many good things and changes which Capello brought to the team during his era. However, the game is about making chances and scoring goals, which we defenitely lacked, because of debatable team selection. As I wrote here, I prefered Denisov and Dzagoev to Glushakov and Fayzulin. And it worked after subs. May be it was a part of Capello's plan. May be not. Who knows...

When you speak about Russia, you shouldn't overrate them. Just like England during recent years, although this time their squad is much brighter and more interesting. Russia isn't a top team. Our ceiling was and still is 1/8. Current team is full of unexperienced players who aren't world cup beaters.
I thought we'll beat Korea quite confidently only to have problems with Belgium and Algeria then. Things changed a bit. However, the deal is still in our hands and I can see us improving. But I don't fancy much chances against Belgium. Only if Akinfeev (if he will be selected of course) will have an outstanding match which I can easily see happening and we'll show some balls on counter attacks.

Thanks for taking the time to post that. Very interesting...

hidden, is there any reasons/theories within russia as to why akinfeev looked so nervous all game?

and how is the result vs korea being perceived by russian fans? is it seen as a poor result overall or somewhat acceptable etc

Thanks for taking the time to post that. Very interesting...
no problems, you're free to ask any questions

hidden, is there any reasons/theories within russia as to why akinfeev looked so nervous all game?
and how is the result vs korea being perceived by russian fans? is it seen as a poor result overall or somewhat acceptable etc
Of course nobody except Igor and his teammates knows a clear reason for such a poor display but there is clear theory which is commited with his career steps. He was always a promising goalkeeper who potentially could become (and some time maybe was) top-10 in the world. After that memorable match against Man United at OT (3-3) when he made several outstanding saves, there were lots of rumours about top European clubs which became interested in Akinfeev.

Several weeks ago Peter Schmeichel stated that Man United were really under Akinfeev and wanted the transfer to progress but sadly Igor tore his crucial ligaments. After nearly a year of recovery he signed a new long-term contract with CSKA and it was a fault as most people think (except CSKA fans of course). He stopped progressing in RPL, which resulted in Champions League antirecord (21 matches in a row with at least one goal conceeded). Not only his fault of course but he wasn't shining recently as well. He made some howlers before for the national team as well.

Speaking about his blunder against Korea, I have a feeling he just got too nervous before and during the game. He is experienced goalkeeper, but it was his first WC. And he defenitely feels great responsibility for team's results. He cares and it may even prevented him.
After the match he didn't search any fake reasons to explain his howler (like "ball trajectory is unreal", "wind was windy" etc). He instantly apologized for his display and took all blame on him. Mass-media defended him well. That what differs Russia and England hugely. However, fans point of view is much similar. Imagine if poor Rooney missed a sitter, which became crucial. And, conditionally, in form Defoe from Spurs, Sturridge from Liverpool were benched. It would have resulted in Rooney's total abuse and blaming, because every bird likes its own nest. The same is happenning with Akinfeev now and it's stupid. However, 30-40% of fans defend him and are sure he should play against Belgium.

The result against Korea is also judjed differently but more negatively, than neutrally or positively. Team overall and many players defenitely underperfomed and many fans suppose we could win it. But the team played too much defensively and accurately during last 15 munites when Korean players gave up physically.
Capello also gained a portion of critics, because of team selection but not much.

Last edited:
Hello,

Algera-Belgium was tactically interesting despite its obvious lack of spectacle. The Algerian coach logically chose to park the bus against one of the best counter-attacking teams in the world (and maybe the best). Their second goal simply supports this idea in one of the rare moments we tried to push up our block. Hazard, Martens and De bruyne in counter attack position are unstoppable for an average defense like ours.

Wilmots clearly won the tacticall challenge. He quicly admitted that it would be hard to break the Algerian Zonal defense with moving pieces of Hazard and De Bruyne, he tried then to unleash Martens who put fire in his right side against his Napoli teammate Ghoulam. Bentaleb and sub Lacen came in help to neutralize him.

Then he had the smart idea of fielding Fellaini as second striker with the hope of bringing the solution by the air play. He scored the equaliser and thanks to the Algerian GK we avoided another header goal. The second goal is a typical belgian play, a counter attack, their best weapon.

Tottenham players were average during this game, but i expect Bentaleb, Dembele and Chadli will shine in the next games taking into account the style of their future oppenents.

For Algeria, we Logically except another display against Korea, no parked bus, but i think that Korea will possess the ball and Algeria will proceed with counter-attacks and air balls.

no problems, you're free to ask any questions

Of course nobody except Igor and his teammates knows a clear reason for such a poor display but there is clear theory which is commited with his career steps. He was always a promising goalkeeper who potentially could become (and some time maybe was) top-10 in the world. After that memorable match against Man United at OT (3-3) when he made several outstanding saves, there were lots of rumours about top European clubs which became interested in Akinfeev.

Several weeks ago Peter Schmeichel stated that Man United were really under Akinfeev and wanted the transfer to progress but sadly Igor tore his crucial ligaments. After nearly a year of recovery he signed a new long-term contract with CSKA and it was a fault as most people think (except CSKA fans of course). He stopped progressing in RPL, which resulted in Champions League antirecord (21 matches in a row with at least one goal conceeded). Not only his fault of course but he wasn't shining recently as well. He made some howlers before for the national team as well.

Speaking about his blunder against Korea, I have a feeling he just got too nervous before and during the game. He is experienced goalkeeper, but it was his first WC. And he defenitely feels great responsibility for team's results. He cares and it may even prevented him.
After the match he didn't search any fake reasons to explain his howler (like "ball trajectory is unreal", "wind was windy" etc). He instantly apologized for his display and took all blame on him. Mass-media defended him well. That what differs Russia and England hugely. However, fans point of view is much similar. Imagine if poor Rooney missed a sitter, which became crucial. And, conditionally, in form Defoe from Spurs, Sturridge from Liverpool were benched. It would have resulted in Rooney's total abuse and blaming, because every bird likes its own nest. The same is happenning with Akinfeev now and it's stupid. However, 30-40% of fans defend him and are sure he should play against Belgium.

The result against Korea is also judjed differently but more negatively, than neutrally or positively. Team overall and many players defenitely underperfomed and many fans suppose we could win it. But the team played too much defensively and accurately during last 15 munites when Korean players gave up physically.
Capello also gained a portion of critics, because of team selection but not much.

I dont know anything about Russian football well except for Kerzakhov - why doesnt FC start him or is that Kokorin player just a better player? Kerzakhov i like the guy he is always there or there abouts in the area and is an old fashioned CF.

I dont know anything about Russian football well except for Kerzakhov - why doesnt FC start him or is that Kokorin player just a better player? Kerzakhov i like the guy he is always there or there abouts in the area and is an old fashioned CF.
Kerzhakov is 32 years old and is currently 2nd choice striker in Zenit. They bought Rondon who is Venezuela's main forward and is certainly better. Also Kerzhakov produced a funny antirecord on euro-12 hitting on target 0 times from 11 shots if my memory doesn't fail me. English media instantly reacted to this inventing a verb "to kerzhakov" - which meant not hitting on target in pretty easy situations. Still fans in Russia often use this word describing misses. All this lead to loosing starting spot in national squad which now appears to be a debatable decision.
By the way, from current squad only Kerzhakov took part in WC-2002. He made a debut against Belgium in the 3rd game and just after 7 minutes made a goal pass, but we still lost. Now he can face his old rivals who became only stronger.

Kokorin though had a good season as wide forward in Dynamo Moscow (especially in 2013), but FC uses him on the edge as you see. He is also young and unexperienced, tried hard in the first match but wasn't able to produce much end product.

Kerzhakov is 32 years old and is currently 2nd choice striker in Zenit. They bought Rondon who is Venezuela's main forward and is certainly better. Also Kerzhakov produced a funny antirecord on euro-12 hitting on target 0 times from 11 shots if my memory doesn't fail me. English media instantly reacted to this inventing a verb "to kerzhakov" - which meant not hitting on target in pretty easy situations. Still fans in Russia often use this word describing misses. All this lead to loosing starting spot in national squad which now appears to be a debatable decision.
By the way, from current squad only Kerzhakov took part in WC-2002. He made a debut against Belgium in the 3rd game and just after 7 minutes made a goal pass, but we still lost. Now he can face his old rivals who became only stronger.

Kokorin though had a good season as wide forward in Dynamo Moscow (especially in 2013), but FC uses him on the edge as you see. He is also young and unexperienced, tried hard in the first match but wasn't able to produce much end product.

Thats interesting - I like Kerzakhov a lot and thought we shoudl have got him when he was at Sevilla albeit for a short period. Hope he plays more as I have always liked watching him.

Hello,

Algera-Belgium was tactically interesting despite its obvious lack of spectacle. The Algerian coach logically chose to park the bus against one of the best counter-attacking teams in the world (and maybe the best). Their second goal simply supports this idea in one of the rare moments we tried to push up our block. Hazard, Martens and De bruyne in counter attack position are unstoppable for an average defense like ours.

Wilmots clearly won the tacticall challenge. He quicly admitted that it would be hard to break the Algerian Zonal defense with moving pieces of Hazard and De Bruyne, he tried then to unleash Martens who put fire in his right side against his Napoli teammate Ghoulam. Bentaleb and sub Lacen came in help to neutralize him.

Then he had the smart idea of fielding Fellaini as second striker with the hope of bringing the solution by the air play. He scored the equaliser and thanks to the Algerian GK we avoided another header goal. The second goal is a typical belgian play, a counter attack, their best weapon.

Tottenham players were average during this game, but i expect Bentaleb, Dembele and Chadli will shine in the next games taking into account the style of their future oppenents.

For Algeria, we Logically except another display against Korea, no parked bus, but i think that Korea will possess the ball and Algeria will proceed with counter-attacks and air balls.

Many thanks for that perspective!

LINE-UP: Courtois, Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Kompany (c), Witsel, De Bruyne, Fellaini, Lukaku, Hazard, Mertens, Van Buyten

Sunday afternoon Spurs quiz

Belgium have made 3 changes to the starting lineup against Russia compared to the lineup in the first match against Algeria

Which 3 players have gone out?

The answer is quite easy when you think about it :)

BeNeFoot ‏@BeNeFoot

Wilmots on Vermaelen: I wanted to put a real defender on the left, who doesn't leave too much space & who defends first and foremost (RTBF)

:lol:

Sunday afternoon Spurs quiz

Belgium have made 3 changes to the starting lineup against Russia compared to the lineup in the first match against Algeria

Which 3 players have gone out?

The answer is quite easy when you think about it :)

:ross:

He was right to drop our three overhyped players. Paulinho will be dropped by Brazil soon enough too.

It was like he had watched them play poorly for Spurs most of this season and just assumed it was because we are Spurs and that they would still look better for their country ;) They were lucky it was only Algeria in that first game

Mertens out wide right regularly running at the Russian LB is pretty refreshing.. not often you see wide players just get the ball and run towards goal anymore.

Mertens out wide right regularly running at the Russian LB is pretty refreshing.. not often you see wide players just get the ball and run towards goal anymore.

very good player. should have signed him before he went to napoli

Back