• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group H - Belgium, Algeria, Russia, South Korea

Which two teams will progress to the next round?

• Belgium and Algeria

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Belgium and Russia

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Belgium and South Korea

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Algeria and Russia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Algeria and South Korea

• Russia and South Korea

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
****ing Russia. So much fannying about across the back at the end. Least I won't be developing a gambling habit.

a94fd713053e.jpg

Attachments

• similarities.JPG
    similarities.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 8
Very annoyed with the Russians ! First WC since 2002 and they played shyte yet again. Don't know why they can't show half the pride and quality the old Soviet Union used to show. This is the 3rd WC since the end of the Soviet Union and they have been shyte in all of them. What is the use of having an experienced coach like Capello when they cannot improve their mentality ? Thought they will do well to beat a poor South Korean team but they were lucky to get the draw. It was a poor goalkeeping blunder by Akinfeev. Kerzhakov did well to get the equaliser after coming on but it was too late to get the winner. Don't understand why Capello didn't start players like Kerzhakov and Dzagoev who both did well after coming on. On this form, can't see Russia progressing from this group. Even if they do, they will progress behind Belgium and end up getting thrashed by Germany in the next round.

Not a convincing display from Belgium either. It seems like the pressure of being one of the favourites is getting to them. Belgium supposed to be the flag bearer of Tottenham but all 3 of them had poor games. Vertonghen gave away another soft penalty while Dembele and Chadli had poor games. Fortunately for Vertonghen, Belgium came back to win. But Belgium hardly looked like a team capable of winning the WC. Algeria did play well but didn't have the quality to beat Belgium. Thought Bentaleb would make an impact but he was never in the game.

Don't know why they can't show half the pride and quality the old Soviet Union used to show. This is the 3rd WC since the end of the Soviet Union and they have been shyte in all of them.

weren't the soviet union athletes on drugs during that era though?

Very annoyed with the Russians ! First WC since 2002 and they played shyte yet again. Don't know why they can't show half the pride and quality the old Soviet Union used to show. This is the 3rd WC since the end of the Soviet Union and they have been shyte in all of them. What is the use of having an experienced coach like Capello when they cannot improve their mentality ? Thought they will do well to beat a poor South Korean team but they were lucky to get the draw. It was a poor goalkeeping blunder by Akinfeev. Kerzhakov did well to get the equaliser after coming on but it was too late to get the winner. Don't understand why Capello didn't start players like Kerzhakov and Dzagoev who both did well after coming on. On this form, can't see Russia progressing from this group. Even if they do, they will progress behind Belgium and end up getting thrashed by Germany in the next round.
I disagree with most of your points.
First of all, it isn't objective to compare USSR and Russia. USSR had many great players from other social republics like Ukraine, Georgia. Overall our former country had much better sport quality and pride (mainly because of communistic regime).
When you mention two previous world cups where we played, you should speak about the famous "Letter of Fourteen" which was written just before the final part of USA-94 and resulted in not participating of several key players on the world cup because of money bonuses.
The 2002 though was a disgrace which resulted in mass disorders in Moscow.

Capello defenitely earns more than he has to, but it's how things stand in Russian football. You gain any kind of quality only overpaying.
Those who think Capello hasn't done anything important and meaningful with our national team, don't watch us closely.
Previous coach, guest perfomer dingdong Advocaat was a total mess. He visited about 2 RPL games in a month (preferably games of Zenit, which he coached several years before). There was no order in the team and its players consisted mainly from Zenit players, who are poisoned with money. Arshavin was their "ideologist". It resulted in a disgrace of Euro-2012, when this "captain" said on camera, that expectations of Russians (I should mention these expectations included progressing to play-off, which was pretty easy to achieve after starting spectacular win against Czech Republic) are only our problems.

Capello instantly brought order, dispersed Zenit's gang. Train sessions have become much tougher than under two Dutch coaches before. Capello visited at least 1 RPL match (but often 2 or even 3) in a week. He brought several young or new players to the squad. If you look at our triumphal team of Euro-2008, you'll find only 4-5 faces in our current squad. And nearly all of them are defensive minded players.

Debate about Akinfeev is interesting and many-sided. I'll make a post in a day or two, telling what I know and how the situation with his carrer and yesterday's howler is judjed here, in Russia. But I have no doubt Capello shouldn't repeat his Robert Green experience with changing the goalkeeper and Akinfeev should play against Belgium. Although these situations are quite similar, they're different as well. Mainly because of mass-media who ate Green alive. Akinfeev gets enough support and shouldn't go mentally negative as Robert did.

I didn't see any problems with mentality of players except Akinfeev and maybe Shatov yesterday. I think this fact wasn't mentioned but Russia became round 1 best country in terms of workrate: ~113.8 km of distance covered. In tropical Kyuaba! 2nd Germany with ~111.6. It proves many good things and changes which Capello brought to the team during his era. However, the game is about making chances and scoring goals, which we defenitely lacked, because of debatable team selection. As I wrote here, I prefered Denisov and Dzagoev to Glushakov and Fayzulin. And it worked after subs. Maybe it was a part of Capello's plan. Maybe not. Who knows...

When you speak about Russia, you shouldn't overrate them. Just like England during recent years, although this time their squad is much brighter and more interesting. Russia isn't a top team. Our ceiling was and still is 1/8. Current team is full of unexperienced players who aren't world cup beaters.
I thought we'll beat Korea quite confidently only to have problems with Belgium and Algeria then. Things changed a bit. However, the deal is still in our hands and I can see us improving. But I don't fancy many chances against Belgium. Only if Akinfeev (if he will be selected of course) will have an outstanding match which I can easily see happening and we'll show some balls on counter attacks.

Last edited:
I'm not able to edit my post from smartfon, so I'll add one point about workrate: we overran Korea totally and during last 15 minutes half of their players played with dead legs. However, after Kerzhakov equalized, it looked like the team didn't actually know what to prefer: to attack more trying to win the game or to play attentively in order not to concede again, holding in heads Akinfeev's blunder and his **** mental confitions. Obviously we should have played for a win just like Belgium did scoring 2nd and even nearly scoring 3rd goal, but we couldn't decide what to do. So solid attacks were mixing with positional backpassing game. Whose fault it was is unknown but it may cost us now. Game against Algeria defenitely won't be easier...

Back