• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Work for your dole money...

I actually advocate far higher unemployment benefits for those who've paid NI for years. These people patently want to work and if they fall on hard times I'd advocate a system like Sweden or France where the money you get is based on your previous earnings. The bulk of the £200 billion we spend a year on welfare is on long term unemployed and underclass. Not solid citizens on their uppers.

I think my comments need to be taken into CONTEXT

If you are claiming benefits regularly, and continue to do so for a long period of time, then there can be no argument

If the rules say you need to get out and do some work, then you do it

If you don't like it, then DONT claim benefits

This rule is to catch lazy bums, not highly intelligent and highly experienced workers like Mick and Sheikh

My response was to your point that if you can't get back to work in a year, you are a waste of air.

sadly I became a victim of my own success, and then too old to compete in a hi tech market where a man in his 50's wasn't seen as being the image wanted to promote the technologies I was selling, despit my fundamental knowledge of how they worked and what the benefits were (based on years of industry experience)

and now I have to live in Bermuda as a punishment for my theft of all that air
:D

I went in to the benefits office to get my national insurance paid, the pathetic amount of money offered in benefits, wasn't worth the bother, and I was asked to jump through hoops just to get that, so in the end I paid it myself.

I was treated as if I was freak for doing so, and trying to get them to take my money was incredibly difficult (as it is still) they seemed more keen to persecute me for not claiming the allowance that I didn't want. They also seemed to be a lot happier to pay the hoardes of obvious non British people and all of their translators, something else that I found a little disturbing.
This was in Staines - when I went into Guildford it wasn't as biased towards non indigenous Brits, but there was a disturbing number of locals with children, smoking their last fags and draining their bottles of Elephant beer before going in to demand their money. Presumably to pay for their sky TV, fags and elephant beer (whilst economising on condoms)

Having to go into a job centre was the most humiliating experience of my life

Jeez you must be on on around 120ish K a year to pay that much in tax Leeds, what do you do?

I'm unemployed at the moment and finding it pretty tough. OK I'll admit my joblessness is self imposed as I decided to take a break from work and went travelling for a bit with my hard earned savings. I got back at the end of March and have been looking for work literally since the day I got home. My expertise is in IT support, and while the jobs are being advertised, there are ALOT of people applying for them, so the law of averages says that if 100 people apply for a role, there's likely to be at least 1 other candidate that's better than me. I've had a couple of unsuccessful interviews and have another one on Thursday, so at least I'm getting interviews (there's other jobless people I know not even getting that far).

In the mean time I've been applying for entry level IT jobs just for the sake of having a job, but I'm deemed overqualified for those roles, and justifiably I'm not given those jobs as its likely I won't be challenged and will certainly move on again when a more appropriate job for my skills arises. I've also applied to retail roles and even jobs as a hotel porter, but I get rejected for not having the relevant experience, and the last time I worked in a shop was about 8 years ago during my uni years. I can't even get a job carrying peoples bags for them.

I'm not ashamed to be claiming JSA at the moment, as my income otherwise would be ?ú0. The JSA is very useful for me as it lets me afford to top up my Oyster card for visiting recruitment agents etc. My day to day spending is done through my quickly diminishing savings. Luckily the advisor that I see that I sign on with every 2 weeks can see that I'm making a massive effort to get employed, so isn't on my back too much.

So please don't hate me too much, I'm just claiming what I'm entitled to, especially seeing as I've been paying NI every month since I turned 16 (this is actually the first time I've been without a job since I turned 16)

it depends on what you do for a living, and your age. Making a comment like that is easy until it happens to you.

I was out of work for 13 months, and found my biggest problem was being overqualified for the jobs that I would accept, rather than be out of work, and was discriminated against because of my age for the ones that I aspired to.

I was desperate to work, and considered actually driving a van rather than sitting around doing nothing, I got laughed at when I sent my CV in, as I did when I applied for a job at Deathrow a few years ago when I was out of work for 6 months.

A voice of reason...you just saved me a rant.

As I said mate, good luck to you and I do understand your stance!! But I have strong views on government spending, ( which I espouse here) and so I feel a hypocrite for claiming it, that's all. I paid ?ú37k tax and NI last year, the wife paid over ?ú200k between her personal income and her small business, which also employs 8 people. We do our bit. As ive said before, blokes like you are what makes the country work, I would never criticise you for getting what you can. What I would say is it's your wife's choice not to work, why should other tax layers help fund your lifestyle choice? I'm not looking to have a go, just pointing out that there are others more deserving of state support like pensioners and the truly disabled IMO. Again, not having a go, just being honest with my feelings. Just so everybody knows. The government spends over ?ú20,000 for every tax payer in the country. If you pay less tax than that, (all taxes remember) you're not actually a net contributor. Again, not seeking to be provocative but it shows that the wealthy keep this country running and pay their way, which they should!!!! I don't feel middle class workers like me and my wife should b vilified, which is how it feels in modern Britain. If you earn a few bob and want to get ahead you're the enemy.

We both decided she would stay at home and bring up the little boy (8 months)

Had no intention of claiming til someone suggested it. Phoned the number and was told we were entitled. I work 40-45 hours every week and if the people I've paid 50,000 to over the years offer me some back them I'm taking it!!

Back