• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Why are we struggling to score this season?

Since we beat City we've scored 1 goal from open play in 5 games, wow.

P5 W0 D4 L1 F3 A4

Sadly we just don't have the strength in depth that we thought we had at the moment. If this continues then our shot at the title will be over by Christmas.

Well imo we will not win the title this season because we are not good enough YET, i said the same last year and the reason i say that is because the team is still building and maturing. I expect us to be in with a shout but the top four is our aim.

I did say during the summer that we should buy 2 strikers and not just 1. Most teams either have at least 3 strikers or have a team that can spread the goals around

Well imo we will not win the title this season because we are not good enough YET, i said the same last year and the reason i say that is because the team is still building and maturing. I expect us to be in with a shout but the top four is our aim.

Couldn't agree more.

I think there is too much expectation on this lot, and I'm as guilty as the rest to be honest. They're still developing with plenty of time left for them to do so, even looking at the highlights this morning there were still positive signs, albeit shrouded in frustration.

Balancing immense potential with high expectations is always tricky but we are expectating a little bit more than we should. Not a single player at the club has won a trophy in England whilst the majority are still pups experiencing their first season in the CL with other young'uns waiting in the wings. This on top of the fact that surrounding teams can spend more on one player than we can in an entire window.

I don't think CF is our weakness. Its the three behind the CF

You have a valid point but another striker would have helped. Our bench looked weak yesterday. A central defender, two full backs, a keeper occupying 4 of the 7 places on the bench. And when you add Winks, you do not have much creativity or goal power coming off the bench to change things

The one where alli hit the crossbar?

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
The one where alli hit the crossbar?

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The one that defected in his path

That's was our first effort at crossing into the box and was around 40 minutes in

We are scarily bad at getting the ball into the danger area

I watched liverpoo yesterday and they get it into the danger zone every opportunity

We did put in a few crosses. Problem is, we have no players in the box to attack the ball! They're all nicely waiting outside the box, waiting for our only player in the box to perform miracles! Once Dele went off, we were left with only Janssen making runs into the box.

Been saying the same thing all season, we slag off our wide players for poor crossing but our main problem is that no one is making a run into the area and in front of their marker. Even Kane is poor at this.

I'm a bit worried that we lack the cutting edge in front of goal this season that we had last season. Many teams have scored a lot of more goals than we have.

Having said that, I think we'll get better at it with time. As has been pointed out, we are creating chances, just need to be more clinical.

And it's probably a good thing if we lay a bit low, around 4-5 place, to take the pressure off, don't have everyone talking about the title. Let's lay there for a while and start climbing come March, I say. ;)

Been saying the same thing all season, we slag off our wide players for poor crossing but our main problem is that no one is making a run into the area and in front of their marker. Even Kane is poor at this.

Janessen was in there and pointing plenty of times where he needed the ball

Janessen was in there and pointing plenty of times where he needed the ball

Maybe and i do think Janssen is going to prove his worth,but i was talking overall through the last few seasons. Our movement in the box is poor and we stand around waiting for the ball rather then attacking the space.

Interesting stats - do you have the average expected goals for the top 6 so far this season?

Either the top 3 are creating better quality chances (which the ExpG metric doesn't fully take into account) or their forwards are being particularly clinical thus far this season...

Goals scored / Expected Goals = Shot Efficiency
ManC: 24 / 18.8 = 1.28
ARSEnal: 23 / 17.4 = 1.32
Liverpool: 24 / 18.3 = 1.31
Chelsea: 21 / 18.7 = 1.12
Tottenham: 14 / 15.0 = 0.93
Everton: 15 / 13.4 = 1.12
ManU: 13 / 17.2 = 0.76

We did put in a few crosses. Problem is, we have no players in the box to attack the ball! They're all nicely waiting outside the box, waiting for our only player in the box to perform miracles! Once Dele went off, we were left with only Janssen making runs into the box.
Good point. Our attacking midfielders are not making the runs into the box they have done in previous seasons that provide support to the lone striker. We have lost Chadli who was very good at this and chipped in with some important goals. Dembele has hardly played this season so not sure, why in other threads, he is being lumped into the "players who are not performing to their usual standard." Lamela, Son and Eriksen need to step up their game.

N'Koudou banged one across low late on, a waste imo, you need to be picking someone out from that position.
the best teams don't waste time by making sure that everyone understands where he has to be when to cross comes in.

watch arsenal this season for instance. wenger has got this down to drills, regardless of who fits in its a couple of passes then bang on the way down the wing for a quick cross, with 2 or 3 waiting in anticipation. it doesn't work all the time but you can see it repeated game in game out. other than hugging the touchline, they try to do the same down the channel. very systematic, sometimes boring, but the subs come in and do are able to continue.

For all our possession, how many gilt edged chances do we create? Look at how many chances Giroud misses for scum for example. We don't create that volume for Kane or Janssen.

As many others have said, we don't have that x factor player behind the striker. Lamela's end product is not enough and Eriksen is the definition of flakey. People scoffed last year when I said Payet would walk into our team but I still stand by that statement.

For all our possession, how many gilt edged chances do we create? Look at how many chances Giroud misses for scum for example. We don't create that volume for Kane or Janssen.

As many others have said, we don't have that x factor player behind the striker. Lamela's end product is not enough and Eriksen is the definition of flakey. People scoffed last year when I said Payet would walk into our team but I still stand by that statement.

It's because we pussy foot with the ball in and around the area

Imagine if we got it in quicker and more direct... Surely we would create more and force defences to make mistakes

Watched several full matches this weekend my favorite was The Juve vs Napoli, it was a lesson in what quality players bring to a team's.
Our attacking players are sadly mid EPL quality.

It's because we pussy foot with the ball in and around the area

Imagine if we got it in quicker and more direct... Surely we would create more and force defences to make mistakes
That's Poch's thing to sort out since we have deliberately bought youngish players.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Fapatalk

Back