• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who should be captain?

I think Kaboul..... He seems like a player who would relish the chance of being this! As someone said previously, he could be our Kompany! Also, i think Kaboul is a starter in my books..... By far the best defender for us last season. How could he not start? Vice captain thought, I wouldn't have a clue. I dont know why, but, I believe Sandro would be a great choice! He seems such a presence on the pitch and overall he seems like the type of player everyone respects (i hope it will help him get more game time as I think he is better than Parker and still has potential!)

From my perspective it would have to be one of the centre backs, so I wouldn't rule out Kaboul, Dawson, or Vertonghen (who has the experience of Captaining Ajax)?

why does it have to be a centre back? Watching the Euro finals I noticed both captains in the final were keepers

We need a vocal leader who leads by example both on and off the pitch, head and shoulders above the rest - Scott Parker

The problem with Parker is that I question this season if he remains an automatic starter, I think Sandro is a better player

If he is likely to be a consistent starter for us I agree that Parker should be our captain. If not I would go for VdV. Experienced, quite vocal and loads of passion. I think having the captaincy might be good for him. The next option is probably Kaboul, but I haven't seen much from him to indicate that he would be a real leader.

I really can see AVB going for Vertonghen.

First, he's already been captain at a big club. Second, CB is a good captain's position. Third, it would signal a totally new era. Fourth, Verts is assured of playing every week. Fifth, AVB would be creating a powerful ally in the dressing room. Sixth, Verts seems an understated and dignified chap, so his appointment is not likely to become an ego-trip or cause for dressing room acrimony. Seventh, there aren't abundant other options. Eight, 25 is a good age.

Eight of the best, and I say Janimal for Prez.

I am going to have to disagree with you here "PiB" and answer "Rossi22". I attended 40 games last year and I could regularly hear Parker shouting encouragement to his team mates. He was also often the first to run over to a team mate to put an arm around them and to exort them to greater endeavour. If he finds himself at the fulcrum of AVB's project, then Parker is a nailed on choice for Captain for me.

I usually sit in block E and have only missed 2 home games, QPR and City. However I see Parker as the nice guy, putting the arm round players and stuff like that the talker on the pitch. However for a captain you need a leader of men who drives the team forward through shear will and ability. You need someone who the team will respect, for his footballing ability and determination not just because he's a top top t'rrific pro and good lad and that. You need to look to your captain for inspiration not for approval or a shoulder to cry on. Parker is the player you want to lean on at the bottom of the pile when the going gets tough defensively but the captain I want grabs the team from the front and drags them over the line to victory. I don't know if my analogy makes sense or not

At the moment I'd say Parker, with Kaboul and Verts as vice for when Scotty inevitably gets hauled off after 70 minutes cos he's run himself into the ground!

At the moment I'd say Parker, with Kaboul and Verts as vice for when Scotty inevitably gets hauled off after 70 minutes cos he's run himself into the ground!

Well if his ankle injury is as bad as was suggested at the end of the Euro Championships I would suggest Parker will not be fit enough to start the season anyway

Looking at the kit launch pics, Parker leading and no Ledley - gives me the impression they might have decided already.

Looking at the kit launch pics, Parker leading and no Ledley - gives me the impression they might have decided already.

Its strange how our advertising/pr department think that he is our most marketable player? He's an ex west ham captain. VDV/King or Bale should be heading that picture.

Its strange how our advertising/pr department think that he is our most marketable player? He's an ex west ham captain. VDV/King or Bale should be heading that picture.

Well obviously their marketing is geared towards aggression and being like a warrior type kit. Everything points towards that. So Parker is the English battler so to speak.

I usually sit in block E and have only missed 2 home games, QPR and City. However I see Parker as the nice guy, putting the arm round players and stuff like that the talker on the pitch. However for a captain you need a leader of men who drives the team forward through shear will and ability. You need someone who the team will respect, for his footballing ability and determination not just because he's a top top t'rrific pro and good lad and that. You need to look to your captain for inspiration not for approval or a shoulder to cry on. Parker is the player you want to lean on at the bottom of the pile when the going gets tough defensively but the captain I want grabs the team from the front and drags them over the line to victory. I don't know if my analogy makes sense or not

It does make sense, but who do you think fits the bill?

Under Redknapp the captains never practised coin tossing, I hope that AVB has put this right

Back