• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who should be captain?

Can you guarantee both Dawson and Parker will be starting? Besides Parker probably will not be fit at the start of the season

There is for me a difference between club captain and on field captain.

Hopefully we have 5 or 6 on field captains and any of them can do the job when called upon.

Now that Ledley has gone I would hope that our team captain and club captain would be one and the same. Then we should have a vice captain who plays when the captain is not playing and I guess someone else in line when the capt or vc are not available

I can't see past Bale or Sandro to be honest. Only ones that would really be sure starters, except for Jan but it's probably not right to give it to him until he has proved himself...unless you want to further the 'new era' vibe.

And maybe Sandro is too much of a joker to be our Keane, although maybe the armband could turn him into it.

I dunno I just really like the idea of Bale leading us out. He kind of really represents well swashbuckling Tottenham.

Or maybe we do what Gary Megson tried a few years back at West Brom, and change the captain each match. Idea is to have '11 captains on the pitch' and could in turn encourage the leadership aspects of each individual and make them all stronger as a result.

We need a vocal leader who leads by example both on and off the pitch, head and shoulders above the rest - Scott Parker

I asked whether it matters who the captain is. Rorschach replied:
It doesn't matter if you have a bad one but a good captain can add to the team. Roy Keane is a perfect example. Total respect from his fellow pros and an extension of Fergie's will on the pitch. Sometimes led by example but also barked out orders and reprimanded other players if they fudged up. Teddy Sheringham said he was the best player he every played with and his will to win was unequalled. A rare breed, but a template to choose your captain off if you ask me.

OK, but are you suggesting Keane would not have done these things had he not been wearing the arm band? Still, I guess if you had two Roy Keanes in the same side but with diametrically opposed views, then it would matter which one was captain, as he would outrank the other. I doubt it would stop the "junior" Keane mouthing off though.

Is he really that vocal?

Parker has never dragged/inspired teams through games, he is purely a backs against the wall body on the line man for a mid table team hoping not to get beaten by anyone in the top half. He'll never inspire us to a win as he doesn't have the ability. Van der Vaart and Walker are two of our most vocal players.

I doubt very much that Parker will be given the captaincy by AVB, he will give it to a player who plays every game( baring injury) and i can not see Parker doing that.

I asked whether it matters who the captain is. Rorschach replied:

OK, but are you suggesting Keane would not have done these things had he not been wearing the arm band? Still, I guess if you had two Roy Keanes in the same side but with diametrically opposed views, then it would matter which one was captain, as he would outrank the other. I doubt it would stop the "junior" Keane mouthing off though.

I can't say one way or another but I imagine him having the armband added some weight to his words. That and the fact that he is a scary enough individual to boot.

In my opinion the captain should be the player that commands the most respect on the pitch, and someone who has an overall picture of what is going on in the game. Someone who is as quiet as a mouse really shouldn't be anywhere near the armband.

Rafa or Parker

Wonder whether giving Rafa the captaincy would keep him in the club for longer?

I can't say one way or another but I imagine him having the armband added some weight to his words. That and the fact that he is a scary enough individual to boot.

In my opinion the captain should be the player that commands the most respect on the pitch, and someone who has an overall picture of what is going on in the game. Someone who is as quiet as a mouse really shouldn't be anywhere near the armband.

I heard a journalist say that Roy Keane, even when he was trying to be charming/ingratiating was one of the most intimidating people you'll ever meet.

We do lack that Mackay/Keane type figure. I remember thinking this at halftime away to QPR. I saw Walker strolling off the pitch sharing a laugh with Taarabat and thought to myself, that this is a f*cking must win game for us. Our players should be seething and were Roy Keane to see a teammate sharing a joke 1-nil down, in a game that might mean the difference between getting CL football or not, he would have given him a gonad*ing.

We don't have a stand out choice for captain. I have heard journalists say that our squad are a nice group of players, but they are quiet. If Gallas was staying and going to be fit, he would be good. If Parker is in AVB's plans, I can see him as captain. I know some here doubt him, but I read on blog (Tottenham on My Mind) of an instance one game when he order Livermore over to the right, to cover Walker as he had picked up a knock. I would like VDV as captain as he has a confidence/swagger, performs in big games and you get the feeling he is well liked. The drawback to him, is if he'll only be playing 70 minutes. I don't think Sandro's English is good enough and I agree that the captain shouldn't be new player. As I said no obvious choice.

I remember reading back in the 90's, a Spurs player (might have been Iverson) talking about how when got to the club, players like Mabbutt and Sheringham pointing out the date of the NLD to him. Telling him it was the most important fixture, had to be up for it, etc.

Gallas would probably be my choice as well, but for obvious reservations about fitness and whether he would even make the team were he fully fit. I think it is good - necessary, even - to have people in the team who have won things and who know what it takes to win things (cf. Alaric's mention of Keane's likely reaction to Walker joking with Taraabt, above), and the captain should be one of those people. Looking around the squad, we do not have many of those types.

I seem to recall 'Arry mentioning Parker did a rousing dressing room speech at one point last season, or was that an article in the Evening Standard about Parker's time at West Ham? Senility is setting in, and what's more, senility is setting in ...

I really must start paying more attention when watching Spurs games next season because it seems the general consensus is that Sandro is a guaranteed starter, whereas he still looks a little raw to me. My main memories of him last season are of him being a very handy auxiliary centre back when defending corners and of him giving away a few too many free kicks for my liking on the edge of our area. I don't think he is anywhere near ready for the captaincy, but I don't get to WHL nearly as often as many of you lot so I could be missing something.

Parker has never dragged/inspired teams through games, he is purely a backs against the wall body on the line man for a mid table team hoping not to get beaten by anyone in the top half. He'll never inspire us to a win as he doesn't have the ability. Van der Vaart and Walker are two of our most vocal players.

I am going to have to disagree with you here "PiB" and answer "Rossi22". I attended 40 games last year and I could regularly hear Parker shouting encouragement to his team mates. He was also often the first to run over to a team mate to put an arm around them and to exort them to greater endeavour. If he finds himself at the fulcrum of AVB's project, then Parker is a nailed on choice for Captain for me.

I am going to have to disagree with you here "PiB" and answer "Rossi22". I attended 40 games last year and I could regularly hear Parker shouting encouragement to his team mates. He was also often the first to run over to a team mate to put an arm around them and to exort them to greater endeavour. If he finds himself at the fulcrum of AVB's project, then Parker is a nailed on choice for Captain for me.

I agree, that's a pretty big "if" though.

Who would you go for if not?

Back