• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who should be captain?

Perhaps AVB would utlisise him in a different manner/position whereby Sig takes some of his work-load in turn prolonging his stamina. VdV was always one of the top 3 runners statistically in just about every game - he covered great distances.

Don't disagree with that point. If VDV can be trained to ONLY perform the role his position requires then he could probably go 90 minutes. Under Harry he was allowed to do far too much roaming imo which would account for the distance he covered and the fact he tired early in matches. His desire to control the game often meant he's take possession off the defense deep in our own half, I'm not sure whether this boiled down to tactics planned or lack thereof, or his own personality.

If he is not sold this summer, it will be interesting to see how AVB utilises him moving forward.

I wouldn't be against sandro either. He's certainly going to come to prominance in our team. I don't think that is a bad shout.

Would also be up for VdV doing it. One of those two for me.

I'd go for Vert. I accept arguments against new players not having earned the armband but in this case i would make an exception.

He absolutely proved he wanted to play for this team, stated it again and again, even stated he would wait a year if he had to and would STILL then join us.

He has no "mates" at the club yet, no favourites or people he doesn't like, clean slate for everyone.

He's a proven quality international player with a nation that can't be expected to win every game so he knows the underdog position.

Played in a winning national team with very high expectations to win almost every match so has the requisite experience of going into games, home and away, understanding the required result is to come away with the 3pts.

Ajax player of the year, Dutch player of the year.

Central defender is a good position for a captain.

6'2 so has a good physical presence when things get dodgy between team mates or against opposition players.

Highly likely he will be with us for at least 4yrs or so, possibly much longer.

Decent chance he will be made Belgian captain at some point.

Well known for coming out of defence with the ball so could have an impact on a lackluster attacking team performance himself and can lead from the front even as a defender.

Suitable slightly boring personality off the pitch, less chance of media stories about drunken night club outings etc.

Lastly, but probably most importantly, there are a few problems choosing anyone else. Parker is getting on and hopefully Sandro overtakes him sooner rather than later, speaking of Sandro he seems popular but a bit clownish/fun loving which is good for team spirit but as a respected captain? Modric maybe going/wants to leave. VDV might be leaving and is always subbed (and a bit of a moaner and better skilled than team mates so i'm sure he gets frustrated and a bit high up the pitch for my tastes for captain BUT he does have that arrogant winning personality) Kaboul seems to lack some authority to me (and i am a fan of his) and reputedly prone to mistakes without the right kind of central partner. Walker has the drive and the streak of aggressive "nastiness" but again is prone to getting caught out and its hard to pick a team up if its you who f*cked up in the first place (again i am a fan though)

I'd be happy with VDV if he stays, with Vertonghen as vice, but...
AVB is new, Vertonghen is new, the club seems to be moving in a new direction, so yeah, why not. Vertonghen.

I'll throw it out there..... Modric, show him how important he is to us

good shout actually, i've always been a believer in making your best player the captain

it would seem odd from the fans point of view due to his chelsea interest last year but i can't see the other players giving a monkeys about that

I meant for the future. The guy will be the centre half of our club for the next 7+ years and will captain atleast 5 of those.

Hey, hey! No hi-jacking of my prediction! ;)

But yes, this is what I hope at least, he is a natural leader. He'll replace Ledley in more ways than just being a CB I believe.

Parker Captain IMO obvious choice.

Then Bale as a thankyou for signing his contract, also should he go, he is club captain and it adds another 10 on his total.

Vert was captain at Ajax and is a vocal person, but Im not sure how strong his English is, at the moment, to lead on the pitch.

Because of that I would say that either Kaboom or Parker should get the band. With Parker not likely to start every match then it reverts back to Younes. King was quoted the other day with how far Kaboom as come on since joining the club and I think that he is going to be at the back of our four for many years to come.

I love the way people just pick names out of the air when it comes to Captaincy. Unless you know the player personally you have no idea whether they have the personality to make a good Captain.

Vert was captain at Ajax and is a vocal person, but Im not sure how strong his English is, at the moment, to lead on the pitch.

[video=youtube;hMarzqwTNt0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMarzqwTNt0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

I don't think it's TOO shabby!! (1:00min) in fact, he's almost got an English twang to his accent!

But if you're really not sure, then I think parker is probably the most likely shout... always been a fan of a CM Captain... can 'reach' both ends of the pitch, and isn't left alone and without being able to influence the game if it were, eg a GK...

so Freidel it is then!!

Last edited:
Parker Captain IMO obvious choice.

Then Bale as a thankyou for signing his contract, also should he go, he is club captain and it adds another 10 on his total.

Why is it obvious when he is far from assured of even starting games? I don't really like an ex Hammer captaining Spurs either but that's for another day ..

I love the way people just pick names out of the air when it comes to Captaincy. Unless you know the player personally you have no idea whether they have the personality to make a good Captain.

You really don't get the '''bit of fun''' discussion. I don't think what you say comes into it really.

Back