• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What is our best X1?

I like to see what Dembele could do under a different, more progressive coach. He's shown glimpses of his true potential but too often he 2nd guesses himself at the critical juncture and the moment is lost. With the proper coaching he could be the best player in our team, he has it in him. The problems for Demeble are in his head IMO. I can imagine Mourinho getting his hands on him and turning him into a monster of a player. If LVG rocks up at the lane then we might see a more assured player next season.

It's possible. But it's worth noting that the issues we're having with Dembele are the same that the Fulham fans warned us about when we signed him. He's had these issues under several managers at several clubs.

If we're talking hypothetical improvement that could happen under the right coach I'm not sure if we're talking about what our best XI is. But rather what we hope it could be given the right development.

This probably shows why I'm not a manager:

..........................Adebayor

............Eriksen...................Holtby

..........................Dembele

Rose....................Sandro.....................Walker

.........Chiriches.....................Dawson

.........................Vertonghen

............................Lloris

It certainly does! You've got Ade in goal and Lloris up front. ;)

So you would rather drop Sandro?

I agree with what you're saying. But we can't field 12 players. So unless you think a midfield 3 with Eriksen deeper would fix that problem (I'm not sure it would) you have to drop one of them...

It depends on the opposition I guess. Against the majority of teams we don't need an out and out DM, and lets not forget Dembele's tackle % success rate was excellent. Sandro would more than get his fair share of games....

It's possible. But it's worth noting that the issues we're having with Dembele are the same that the Fulham fans warned us about when we signed him. He's had these issues under several managers at several clubs.

If we're talking hypothetical improvement that could happen under the right coach I'm not sure if we're talking about what our best XI is. But rather what we hope it could be given the right development.

I think he is regressing, especially this season. My somewhat fuzzy recollection was that he was pretty good at Fulham, and started superbly for us. In his AK highlights reel he looks like a different player!! I'm willing to give Dembele and pretty much everyone else a pass for this season just gone considering the turmoil around the place, but he like many of the others really have to improve next time out.

Our best team.....ridiculous really but im going to include the invisible man (thats not aunty pauline kd!)...

Hugo

Walker Kaboul Vertonghen Rose

Paulinho Sandro

Eriksen

Lamela Townsend

Ade (the sticks to his cf position version)

oh and I reckon Soldado could play the ade role but would be more effective covering for Eriksen.

there y're suck on dat!

dembele is still learning his trade. was a striker until not too long ago. unlike sherwood i think we need sandro in front of the two CBs, so that the Walker can bomb forwards with confidence, but Fryers as a safe choice. Sorry but i expect Ade to fade and revert to self in the long run, and expect soldado and lamela to come good next season.

Lloris
Walker--Kaboul--Vertonghen--Fryers
Sandro
Dembele Eriksen
Lamela- Chadli
Soldado

I think he is regressing, especially this season. My somewhat fuzzy recollection was that he was pretty good at Fulham, and started superbly for us. In his AK highlights reel he looks like a different player!! I'm willing to give Dembele and pretty much everyone else a pass for this season just gone considering the turmoil around the place, but he like many of the others really have to improve next time out.

He is and has been superb in some games, or rather in some match situations.

Game conditions that require him to quickly pass and move, release the ball with one or two touch football I don't think ever has been his strength.

I agree though that I'm willing to give just about every player a pass for this season. Including Paulinho, Capoue, Chiriches, Rose, Soldaddio, Lamela and so on and so on.

I'd play a midfield three of Sandro, Holtby and Paulinho. Sandro and Holtby as the deepest players, as both can challenge for the ball. Holtby is a good passer and so I think that the balance is right there.
In a midfield three, I think that you need a ball winner, a passer and a player that can score. That's if you can get creativity from the wings which I'm hoping that, with Lamela & Eriksen, we could.

At the moment, I'd have Adebayor as striker. His form is better than that of Soldado. I want Soldado to be the striker but I'm not picking players who I want to succeed, but instead players who can succeed.

Defence of Walker, Vertonghen, Kaboul and Rose. Kaboul is better than Dawson. Vertonghen is better than Vlad. I think the pairing offers the best balance.

In goal I'd have Brad, the best keeper that we have...nope, of course I'd play Lloris!!

---------------Lloris---------------

Walker Chiriches Vertonghen Rose

------Sandro Paulinho Dembele ------

Chadli------------------------Eriksen

---------------Ade-----------------

Chadli and Eriksen can tuck in to create a midfield 5 when we need to defend and Sandro, Paulinho, Dembele holding a strong line in front of the defence. We would be very very hard to beat. With such a strong defensive formation Chiriches lack of outright pace would not matter.

Going forward Paulinho, Dembele, Chadli and Ade should be able to pull teams out of shape and score goals. Are there enough goals in this formation? The key would be the midfield 3. If Paulinho and Dembele can pass accurately and release runners, plus support themselves with runs into the box, with support from the fullbacks, we could score enough. It is a defensive formation, but could transition quickly when in possession. We certainly wouldn't be exposed when out of possession. If we went behind its easy to make it more attacking by moving Paulinho and Dembele forward:

---------------Lloris

Walker Chiriches Vertonghen Rose

--------------Sandro

----------Paulinho Dembele
Chadli-----------------------Eriksen
----------------Ade

Last edited:
Back