• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What is our best X1?

I'll clarify that by 'raw footballing ability' I meant taking out considerations like form, injuries, whether players have settled in etc. Purely looking at our squad on paper, their skills and how that would fit in a plausible, cohesive team.

So to that description Sandro is more suitable to playing as a defensive midfielder in the PL than a 17yr old Barcelona player :)

Fair enough to most people footballing ability is 100% ability on the ball, and not non football specific attributes like pace, strength, mental determination.

1) Guaranteed starters.

Eriksen.
Lloris.

Ade (though for me he needs rotating and rest to play at his peak).
Walker.
Vertonghen

2) Players who you think have the most promise and deserve to start, and why?

Rose. With the lack of other options he could almost go into the guaranteed starter category. I think with time and good management, he'd be similar to Walker. Only 23 years old the right coach can make him into a very good player. Always going to be a bit skittish in defence until he matures - like Walker.

Soldado. We need experienced players. He raises our level of quality, and if he starts scoring, could be a big asset. The question is, would you start him over Ade? Or what is the best way to rotate them?

Dembele. With the right manager to pull it out of him - more determination and calm in front of goal - he could go to the next level. But at 26 he has to do it now. Still probably our best all round midfielder.

Sandro. He has a voodoo like ability to take the ball off opponents. But he will get injured. Can score long range goals, he's added that to his game, but as that goon lada says, his passing needs to improve a bit.

Paulinho. A bit like Dembele, you see he has something but he can be frustrating. Not great in defence but the most adapt at scoring goals from the midfield. If he is playing in a clear system he would benefit (as most players probably would).

Chadli. Could be a monster. He's in that shy, extremely powerful, great potential mould not a million miles from where Bale was at at a younger age. Again the right manager and application from him, could see Chadli become a player who scares defences.

The problem for ANY manager, is how to fit these and others who could stake a claim - like Sig, amazing on his day, Lennon, decent going forward and snapping back regaining possession, Capoue, Holtby etc - into a team. We definitely need to shift at least one or two players.

So from my list above:

Lloris

Walker ?????? Vertonghen Rose

Sandro Dembele

Chadil Paulinho Eriksen

Ade/ Soldao

Chadli, Paulinho and Eriksen to drop back to make a 5 man midfield unit when we need to defend, with just Sandro staying deeper when we attack. We can throw people forward in possession BUT they have to race back to defend as a unit - something we are not seeing at the moment and TS' biggest failing for me. We need a new CB. Dawson or Chiriches are both very good. We are lucky to have them both. Truth be told we are spoilt for players. But, as TS alluded to (crudely) we have too many similar players, and either some need to step up and distinguish themselves as being in the 'first name on the team sheet' category, or we need to convert a number of decent players into exceptional first on the team sheet players (i.e. sell a few of the good players and buy one or two clearly better players who could hit the ground running). But that is easier said than done. How do you tell an Eriksen from a Lamella?

Last edited:
Chadli, Paulinho and Eriksen to drop back to make a 5 man midfield unit when we need to defend, with just Sandro staying deeper when we attack. We can throw people forward in possession BUT they have to race back to defend as a unit - something we are not seeing at the moment and TS' biggest failing for me. We need a new CB. Dawson or Chiriches are both very good. We are lucky to have them both. Truth be told we are spoilt for players. But, as TS alluded to (crudely) we have too many similar players, and either some need to step up and distinguish themselves as being in the first name on the team sheet category, or we need to convert a number of decent players into exceptional first on the team sheet player (i.e. sell a few of the good players and buy one or two good players). But that is easier said than done. How do you tell an Eriksen from a Lamella?

Are you saying Lamela is a bad player then?

Are you saying Lamela is a bad player then?

No. I'm saying that to ship out average or good players and replace them with an exceptional 'first name on the team sheet' type player, you need to identify a player who could adapt and fit into the team quickly. Which Lamela, Soldado were not able to this season (for whatever reason that maybe). What is it that has allowed Eriksen to slot into the team, where others have not got up to speed or looked confident? That is the question. I have some ideas on why Eriksen has performed and others have not...

Last edited:
No. I'm saying that to ship out average or good players and replace them with an exception 'first name on the team sheet' type player, you need to identify a player who could adapt and fit into the team quickly. Which Lamela, Soldado were not able to this season (for whatever reason that maybe). What is it that has allowed Eriksen to slot into the team, where others have not got up to speed or looked confident? That is the question. I have some ideas on why Eriksen has performed and others have not...

Go on then, let's hear them. Remember you're talking to someone who all summer kicked and screamed about wanting us to sign Eriksen. Lamela could've been doing what Eriksen is now but simply hasn't been given the same chance/platform, not tearing it up in his three league starts is not a reason to give up on him. He should be starting next season from day one and given the entire season, he's a big investment and THFC need to see it through, not **** it up and bail out.

I don't care if it's is against Sheriff, this shows he is a top player in the making

[video=vimeo;90893780]http://vimeo.com/90893780[/video]

If it was Fulham at home

-------------Lloris------------
Walker Dawson Vertonghen BAE
--------Bentaleb Sandro-------
Lamela -------------------Eriksen
------- Soldado Adebayor

like it Modders I'd just change one thing and bring on Sandro. otherwise think you're spot on.

like it Modders I'd just change one thing and bring on Sandro. otherwise think you're spot on.

He's from the Les Ferdinand school of "DMs are a waste of space" so I don't think he's going to agree with your correction somehow.

I think there are a few issues with our squad but there is still plenty of talent there if used correctly. If we were to put our squad up for sale I think the players below would all interest clubs at least as big as Spurs:

Lloris, Walker, Vertonghen, Chiriches, Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho, Lamela, Eriksen, Adebayor, Soldado

Last edited:
He's from the Les Ferdinand school of "DMs are a waste of space" so I don't think he's going to agree with your correction somehow.

I think there are a few issues with our squad but there is still plenty of talent there if used correctly. If we were to put our squad up for sale I think the players below would all interest clubs at least as big as Spurs:

Lloris, Walker, Vertonghen, Chiriches, Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho, Lamela, Eriksen, Adebayor, Soldado

Yup,not one player on that list I'd want to sell. I'd even add Chadli to that list, he has a lot of raw attributes - quick,powerful,good feet and decent in the air. Really think he's going to be a player....

Both their strengths are athleticism and that is why both have turned up in a physical league.
Any 17 year old from Barcelona's academy would have more footballing ability than either of them.

If Sandro had grown up in the US he could have made it as American Football player, I'm sure he's be a good rugby player too. He doesnt have any innate footballing abilty.

You don't count pressing, closing down and tackling as innate footballing abilities then?

No. I'm saying that to ship out average or good players and replace them with an exceptional 'first name on the team sheet' type player, you need to identify a player who could adapt and fit into the team quickly. Which Lamela, Soldado were not able to this season (for whatever reason that maybe). What is it that has allowed Eriksen to slot into the team, where others have not got up to speed or looked confident? That is the question. I have some ideas on why Eriksen has performed and others have not...

Why not share your ideas?

In our position I think we sometimes have to go for potential over current ability. Some of our absolute best signings in recent years like Bale, Modric and Sandro have all taken time to shine.

Although it's important to identify players that can adjust quickly it's also important to identify players that can shine the brightest given time.

As for Lamela and Eriksen, if you had taken Eriksen's 3 first league starts along with the group stage EL games and some sub appearances and that had been all the (starting) time he'd been given I think he would have been in your "others have not" category.

Eriksen hit the ground running for me. You could see early on that he had the tools and attitude to succeed. I remember the Chelsea game where he showed his ability. Lamella maybe the same, and its a good point regarding Modric, Bale and Sandro. They didn't excel in their first season. So all our new signings can come good.

Its been easier for Eriksen for a number of reasons:

- northern European cultural upbringing in Denmark and Amsterdam so its not a big cultural change to be with us
- Knows English

- But most importantly he's not out of his comfort zone. He's played at the World Cup at what 18 or something! The star player for his nation, a key player for his CL team...playing for us is not scary by comparison. When other signings step out onto the pitch they have it all to prove, and most won't be as settled or comfortable like Lamella who doesn't know the language or culture.

-Manager. You need a manager who can get you feeling like you are a player, so when you step out onto the pitch your ready to perform. Psychology and confidence is that much more important for the types of players we tend to sign as they are not the finished article. When they start to do well it creates or reinforces that confidence to play well.

Last edited:
No affy, bad affy.

I think he could start on the left next season. He has undoubted ability. Just has do the simple things well and let openings come where he can run into space. But his injuries are worrying, and if an Italian team comes in with a swap deal + cash, will the club cut their losses?

I think he could start on the left next season. He has undoubted ability. Just has do the simple things well and let openings come where he can run into space. But his injuries are worrying, and if an Italian team comes in with a swap deal + cash, will the club cut their losses?

Left isn't his position though, he should be starting right or central.

Left isn't his position though, he should be starting right or central.

I meant Right honest :)

Who would you keep as back up for the wide areas? From Townsend, Lennon, Chadli, Sig, Holtby as well I guess. Who would you let go?

Last edited:
I meant Right honest :)

Who would you keep as back up for the wide areas? From Townsend, Lennon, Chadli, Sig, Holtby as well I guess. Who would you let go?

Only one I'd definitely sell is Lennon - I know that's not a popular opinion around here. He's virtually useless nowadays bar his "tracking back", time for him to move on. I'd be wary of letting Townsend go, as erratic as he looks, there's definitely something there to work with and for all of AVB's faults, I think he was close to getting it out of him, he's looked crap under Sherwood though. I'm not a massive Siggy fan but he has some uses, plus we can't sell every HG player we own. Chadli deserves another year in a proper system and Holtby has something.

Look at the disparity here - and yet Sherwood gets panned.

There is no obvious XI as there really is so much of a muchness between most of the players.

Back