• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What is our best X1?

This probably shows why I'm not a manager:

..........................Adebayor

............Eriksen...................Holtby

..........................Dembele

Rose....................Sandro.....................Walker

.........Chiriches.....................Dawson

.........................Vertonghen

............................Lloris

This probably shows why I'm not a manager:

..........................Adebayor

............Eriksen...................Holtby

..........................Dembele

Rose....................Sandro.....................Walker

.........Chiriches.....................Dawson

.........................Vertonghen

............................Lloris

Thats not the worst team in the world but Id say that system is more suited to Soldado playing up front, because you have Holtby and Eriksen behind the main man who would look to provide through balls and Soldado would make the necessary runs. Where as Adebayor will probably be loitering around the midfield area somewhere....

Thats not the worst team in the world but Id say that system is more suited to Soldado playing up front, because you have Holtby and Eriksen behind the main man who would look to provide through balls and Soldado would make the necessary runs. Where as Adebayor will probably be loitering around the midfield area somewhere....

I don't actually rate Soldado as a Premiership striker, hence why Ade is in there, but in that team i'd be looking to replace Dawson with a centre-back that is more comfortable on the ball, replace Rose with a left-sided Walker, ideally with Shaw, but might have to look at alternatives and Adebayor with a striker with pace and finishing ability that thrives off the early through-ball, my choice = Javier Hernandez.

Only one I'd definitely sell is Lennon - I know that's not a popular opinion around here. He's virtually useless nowadays bar his "tracking back", time for him to move on. I'd be wary of letting Townsend go, as erratic as he looks, there's definitely something there to work with and for all of AVB's faults, I think he was close to getting it out of him, he's looked crap under Sherwood though. I'm not a massive Siggy fan but he has some uses, plus we can't sell every HG player we own. Chadli deserves another year in a proper system and Holtby has something.

Lennon was pretty vital yesterday, no? I think Lennon is a fantastic squad player. Sell Siggy and Holtby, I like them we just have too many players. Even with Townsend, Chadli, Lennon covering wide positions and say the no 10 role any manger will still have a headache trying to keep them all involved.

Lennon was pretty vital yesterday, no? I think Lennon is a fantastic squad player. Sell Siggy and Holtby, I like them we just have too many players. Even with Townsend, Chadli, Lennon covering wide positions and say the no 10 role any manger will still have a headache trying to keep them all involved.

Vital? He stuck in a decent cross, for once. Sorry but he doesn't provide anything, a single goal and three assists all season from an important attacking position, he also touches the ball fewer times than any other player on the pitch. Maybe I could stomach him as a squad player but I'm just sick of seeing his name on the team sheet every single week without fail no matter how anonymous he is. If we could get £8m-£10m for him then I'd take it and run, put it towards someone who's going to actually affect a game. I'm not really massive fans of the others either but we can't sell them all, one or two of them may find their feet under a new manager.

Vital? He stuck in a decent cross, for once. Sorry but he doesn't provide anything, a single goal and three assists all season from an important attacking position, he also touches the ball fewer times than any other player on the pitch. Maybe I could stomach him as a squad player but I'm just sick of seeing his name on the team sheet every single week without fail no matter how anonymous he is. If we could get £8m-£10m for him then I'd take it and run, put it towards someone who's going to actually affect a game. I'm not really massive fans of the others either but we can't sell them all, one or two of them may find their feet under a new manager.

Spot on, couldn't have said it better myself

Much like paulinho I think Lennon would be much more usefull in a more set system. Lennon' s at his best when he doesn't have to think about what to do next.

GK Lloris
RB Walker
LB ????
CB Kaboul
CB Vertonghen
CM Sandro
CM Sigurdsson
CM Dembele
RF Lamela
CF Ade
LF Eriksen

Blind faith and just wanting it to work is the reason for Lamela. I would like to see Gylfi being given a chance in central midfield but with players around that compliment him not away at Anfield alongside Bentaleb. He's the only player we have that can pass a ball, has a bit of vision and could possibly move us out of the pedestrian pace of football we play. It's not ideal, he's no Modric but I think he could grow into that position.

Our best X1 imo:

------------------------------------Lloris-----------------------------------

Walker-----------------Dawson-------------Vertonghen-------------Rose

Lennon------------------Sandro--------------Dembele---------------Eriksen

------------------------------------Lamela----------------------------------

---------------------------------Adebayor----------------------------------

I actually prefer Townsend as a player to Lennon but with Eriksen coming infield we would be better suited to the right sided player hugging the touchline imo.

Our best X1 imo:

I actually prefer Townsend as a player to Lennon but with Eriksen coming infield we would be better suited to the right sided player hugging the touchline imo.

Townsend does hug the touchline, in the sense that he stays out wide. It's only when he has the ball he has the tendency to cut inside but that's fine as Walker offers width on the right anyway....

Amazed how many people are picking Kaboul - he's been absolutely awful since he came back (Naughton-esque levels of awfulness). Granted he might be rusty but its incredibly concerning

Also lots of people picking various players in teh no 10 role, including:
- Lamela, who has barely played for us
- Eriksen, who is better deep
- Holtby, who played there several times under AVB and was poor

The concerning thing for me is that there isnt any clear way of playing and how so few players seem to fit into our system. As I've said before though, many of our players were either very good at their previous clubs or are decent regular internationals and there is no logical reason, apart from teh manager/coaching, why they should instantly be sh1t as soon as they pull on a Spurs shirt. Some minor tinkering in the summer and a decent manager could make things look a million times better than current

I reckon Siggy will go, why haven't we got the best out of him? Technically a very good player....

I think we haven't got the best out of him as he played in a much slower passing team at Swansea and he doesn't really have a defined position. For us he has been used pretty much everywhere and not really excelled anywhere (may not be his fault)

Something that used to annoy me in the past was we would sign a player who could play multiple positions... Which to me meant they weren't good enough for one position and that player is a stop gap player

My team would be:

......................................... Hugo ......................................

Walker ............. Kaboul/Dawson ...... verts................ Rose

........................... Sandro.......... Dembele.......................

Lamella......................... Eriksen ...................... Townsend

................................Ade/Soldado/Kane............................

I think rose has looks woefully exposed by eriksen coming in all the time (his natural game) and with at least one defensive midfielder we should be more solid. The strikers all have different qualities but can play as link up men whilst scoring and Soldado will come good with the right team, manager and system

This side for me would be more than good enough for top 4

GK = Lloris, Options = none really, Brad/Gomes likely gone in summer, we need a squad/youth buy here
RB = Walker, Options = none really, Naughton by force, summer area for squad/youth buy
CB = Vert, Kaboul, Options = Vlad, Dawson, all fit gives us adequate coverage, a good system/tactics imo could have us much better defensively.
LB = Rose, Options = none, #1 priority area for summer, this has bitten us in the ass this season
RW = Lennon, Options = Lamela, hope would be that order is reversed next season
DM = Sandro, Options = Capoue, both fit would be all we need
CM = Bentaleb, Options = Siggy, Chadli, Paulinho, Holtby, Dembele, too many similar players here, we can minus 2 or 3 and get ourselves a creative midfielder to sit next to Eriksen, #2 on priority list for summer
LW = Eriksen, Options = Chadli, would be nice to have a pacy option here
FW = Ade, Options = Kane
FW = Soldado, Options = none (one up front), if we do anything with forwards depends on if Ade stays and if we decide to/not to loan Kane next season

Again, our first 11, with fit/form caveats is not that hard, may swap a player or two depending on if you want a DM or not, if you play two up front or not.

Summer buys also fairly simple (in order), LB - Creative Midfielder - Forward (dependant on points above) - GK (squad), CB (squad), and I'm ignoring the people who want to sell half the team and play FM.

While I agree we need a player in that position who can score 10 goals a year and provide more, to say "He's virtually useless nowadays" and "he doesn't provide anything" is extreme. A day after he's been the second best player on the pitch (in my opinion) setting up a goal, getting into good positions forcing saves, snapping back to win back possession quickly. The Spurs hierarchy have been trying to provide competition to Lennon for years, all the way back to Bently. I don't know if Lennon is slipping something into new players lasagna but he consistently proves his worth to one manager after another. That is no coincidence, for want of a better option, he does a good job for the team, as evidenced against Fulham.

Yes we would love a Bale, Suarez etc. coming in off the wing and Lennon does not consistently deliver enough of a threat on goal, but its churlish to dismiss such a loyal servant. He would be an ideal squad player.

Maybe give Townsend another loan. I can't decide about Holtby. Love his quick incisive passing and energy but if the right offer comes in, we'll cash in I think. Sigy. He's hit the post more than the net. Would take £10m for him. But I'd keep Lennon, he's doesn't deliver enough goals and assists, but he would be an awesome and dependable squad player.

----------------------------Lloris/?-------------------------
Walker/Naughton--Dawson/Kaboul--Vertoghen/Vlad---BAE/Rose
---------Sandro/Capoue--------Dembele/Paulinho------
Lamela/Lennon-------Eriksen/Hotlby---------Chadli/Siggy
----------------Ade/Soldado

Kane, Bentaleb, Carroll, Livermore, Fryers, Townsend, Archer all could do a job in a pinch. In fact I think these younger players plus a few more deemed almost ready should be handed the jersey for league cup and Europa cup matches.

On paper this looks mostly fine to me except to LB and GK. There's no major surgery need IMO just a few tweaks around the edges. Rose doesn't tickle my fancy and BAE may be done already so we need an upgrade here, no doubts about it. Also a new goalie is a must. I think our seven new signings from this season should be given a chance to show what they can do under a new coach. In fact I think most of the squad has under performed really.

I think we should transfer list Rose and Siggy but that's about it.

He's from the Les Ferdinand school of "DMs are a waste of space" so I don't think he's going to agree with your correction somehow.

I think there are a few issues with our squad but there is still plenty of talent there if used correctly. If we were to put our squad up for sale I think the players below would all interest clubs at least as big as Spurs:

Lloris, Walker, Vertonghen, Chiriches, Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho, Lamela, Eriksen, Adebayor, Soldado

Agree with that, apart from Chiriches. I am not sold on him yet. Looks classy on the ball but subject to mistakes and poor positioning. Also, not strong in the tackle, tall or good in the air, and not particularly fast. Not a good combo for a CB IMO.

Our best X1 imo:

why is lamela in that team?

is that based on speculation of what he could achieve here?

i looked at a few stats on this kid

how many good years has he had footbaling wise? As far as production goes?

something else a blogger said...apparently slide rule passes through the defense arent his thing....is that true? (mind you this was just a random poster who had a blog on the internet, absolutely nothing official or concrete...but its an opinion i latched on to)

if he isnt a precision type visionary passer....how much help will he be in the hole?

wouldnt he be better utilised as a channel type player...ala walcott but with less running with the ball

Back