• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

Isn't it nice to have someone whose mantra is attacking football?

I appreciate the more reticent among us, and those with a love of controversy (gutter my lad, I'm looking at you) will want to paint this as negative, as a third or fourth choice option.

The truth is though that if we are shown intent towards attacking football, and the manager is given the 4 transfer windows it will take to really put his imprint on the squad,and it continues an upward trend, the bulk of fans will be happy as a pig in poo.

We do need a thread preempting the red top's headlines though....

Post-hit note - when we are on song....
Posti cog new - around contract talk time
Get me XXXX - Post Haste!

I suspect there's better than my tired little mind can conjure.

Looking forward to watching all the vids about this new messiah.

I like that we have a manager who’s brought up speaking English (albeit Ozzie :) The likes of Conte and Poch lose something in translation. Here is a manager who’s articulate and native to our language. That makes a difference in team communication and media interaction. Call it a 5% bonus. Being able to get ideas across simply, in a digestible form is crucial.

And you get that impression about him - he likes to make things clear simple for players. But make no mistake, like Conte, he wants players to play exactly as he says. He’s no runaround a bit Rednapp.

I hope that Munn and the club protect Postecoglou. Yes the Kangaroos and Celtic are big jobs, but he’ll face more scrutiny and ‘grind’ from journalists and fans now. The English are relentless in the way they chip away at positivity. We need to let him focus on coaching and insulate him in a bubble. In general there is too much pressure on Managers. They carry the weight of the club on their shoulders, and it’s probably why they don’t last long in the PL; and why the likes of Ferguson would let others take press conferences. We’d do well to learn from that.
Ah I was literally coming in to post about the press, the brick stirring scumbags.

I heard a lot from - albeit mainly the beat, who are generally more supportive - journos preaching that we, the fans, and the club need to give Ange time. How about you don’t go stirring up negative sentiment among the fanbase at the first sight of the likely growing pains?

The club really has to up its media game here in protecting him as you say, as it’s potentially going to be very bumpy in this first transitional season.

L
JJ makes a good point there in the video in that things could be a bit rough while Ange implements his ideas. Obviously, it's not like things have been electric lately but I think going from a defensive posture to a more attacking posture could cause us to be leakier than normal (like our last fixture against Saudi Sportswashing Machine).
BUT... if we're less painful to watch, I'm hoping fans as a whole can be patient and recognize promising patterns emerging to make them hopeful.

Also, about his name... I'm half-Greek and even I'm struggling with the name a little bit. I think the 'C' in Postecoglou makes it seem more like a Romanian surname. I was surprised to hear he was born in Greece, so I'm happy for @alekaras that we have a fellow compatriot at the helm. I know Ange isn't going to be considered a lazy Greek giving the players naptimes and things like that. Hopefully he takes a more measured and data-driven approach than his predecessors did. I want to hear about 'black boxes' and other cryptic flimflam.

Finally, I hope he gets a nice reception when Spurs visit Australia. I know you Ozzies will show him the love and that's an exciting thing to finally think about again.

About his name I believe it’s actually of Turkish Origin it means son of a postman - similar thing to Davidson ie David’s Son

Obviously like other surnames it’s passed down through generations and doesn’t actually mean he has any Turkish blood, although we are all mixed so why not.

L

About his name I believe it’s actually of Turkish Origin it means son of a postman - similar thing to Davidson ie David’s Son

Obviously like other surnames it’s passed down through generations and doesn’t actually mean he has any Turkish blood, although we are all mixed so why not.

Ottoman postman?

That all seems so basic! Like coaching kids.

Now i understand why he doesn't need to take a cosching staff with him. You see the difference with the spurs training videos the last couple of years. He is the coaching staff. So much more involved in training.

Ah I was literally coming in to post about the press, the brick stirring scumbags.

I heard a lot from - albeit mainly the beat, who are generally more supportive - journos preaching that we, the fans, and the club need to give Ange time. How about you don’t go stirring up negative sentiment among the fanbase at the first sight of the likely growing pains?

The club really has to up its media game here in protecting him as you say, as it’s potentially going to be very bumpy in this first transitional season.

I’m excited to see how Ange goes with the English press. He can be very prickly - one of the main reasons I wanted Ange is because he will be backing his club and players at all costs in the press, the opposite of Conte.

Thirdly, his teams reportedly often start slow. How will our fans cope with a string of poor results from a manager whose appointment is already underwhelming for many?

This is a definite concern but due to the above, the way Ange communicates and handles the press, I think Spurs fans will be right on board well before the first game of the season. I would love to be there for that game.

Heard a few "experts" saying, expect a slow start. Is that just based on celtic or his other clubs aswell?

Heard a few "experts" saying, expect a slow start. Is that just based on celtic or his other clubs aswell?

It was a bit rough at Yokohama F Marinos at the start as well, but I think that would have been exacerbated by the fact it was a very new style and needing to do things via a translator.

L

I do not think it means son of postman. I do not recognize the word "postek" in Greek, but a quick google search indicate it means "free spirit" or "visionary." The ending -oglou does mean "son of" and it was something that was adopted by the Greeks of Asia Minor, particularly those living on the Black Sea, who were over 400 hundred years under Turkish rule. The difference between a Greek -oglou and a Turkish one is that the Greek spelling is with an "o" whereas the Turkish one is without it: -oglu (for some strange reason the Turks don't pronounce the "g" either).

That's your history/onomastics lesson for today from someone who's an -oglou himself. :p

I’m excited to see how Ange goes with the English press. He can be very prickly - one of the main reasons I wanted Ange is because he will be backing his club and players at all costs in the press, the opposite of Conte.

This is a definite concern but due to the above, the way Ange communicates and handles the press, I think Spurs fans will be right on board well before the first game of the season. I would love to be there for that game.
Journalist: so where do you think the blame lies for the bad result?
Ange: The blame? I don't blame people; I take responsibility. The responsibility is mine.

Conte and Jose with their titles could never utter those words. And here's a guy who after 25 years finally made it to coach a team in Europe, without even the security of a long-term contract, saying after his first few matches there "the buck stops with me." More comfortable with who he is and in his abilities than either of our decorated managers. I think he'll do just fine.

Back